Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

best noise isolating earplugs?

Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by fillalph
Are you guys ordering the airbud earbuds or just the replacement tips and using them on our current earbuds?

-fillalph
I ordered the air-bud earphones, but found my existing earphone quality superior, so I just used the foams and replaced the buds of my active noise canceling earphones. Best of both worlds So specifically, to answer your question, if you already have a set of earbuds you are happy with, just order the buds from airbuds.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by arjunrc
I ordered the air-bud earphones, but found my existing earphone quality superior, so I just used the foams and replaced the buds of my active noise canceling earphones. Best of both worlds So specifically, to answer your question, if you already have a set of earbuds you are happy with, just order the buds from airbuds.

I tried using the buds on my old favorite pair of sony and they didnt quite have the same isolating effects because of the shape of the sony drivers. For the price, I would recommend getting the AirBuds and then you could always just switch them off when needed.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by niceflyer1186
I tried using the buds on my old favorite pair of sony and they didnt quite have the same isolating effects because of the shape of the sony drivers. For the price, I would recommend getting the AirBuds and then you could always just switch them off when needed.
Thanks for the tip. I am just waiting to see how much "international" shipping is to Canada. Either that or ship it to Point Roberts.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
I have just purchased some ACS custom made buds for my Shure SE535 ear-phones and I am very pleased with them ^
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
+1 Audio Technica ANC23 - compact, definitely cancels significant ambient noise, decent sound quality.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
+1 Audio Technica ANC23 - compact, definitely cancels significant ambient noise, decent sound quality.
Can you compare them to passive in ear phones? Like from Etymotic or Shure?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat

Originally Posted by soarer
would wearing soft earmuffs with the earplugs cut down the outer ear vibrations and cut the volume ?
I use Flents Quiet Time NET 33 earplugs. I sometimes use Bose QC-15 earphones without music in addition to the earplugs.

EW
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by oshelef
Can you compare them to passive in ear phones? Like from Etymotic or Shure?
In terms of noise suppression, they are powered/switched so you can turn them off/on. Without any signal/music, by turning them on/off you can hear the effect of the noise suppression. When one turns them on, you can definitely hear a hush and reduction in ambient noise.

In terms of sound quality, that's probably more personal/subjective. One thing to note is the noise suppression circuitry also provides some amplification (in addition to the on/off switch, there is a volume dial). With my laptop (whose sound output is a little low), it helps with movies, etc. Listening to music, I think they are fine. I tend to lose/damage earbuds so I don't buy Etymotic or Shure (my favorites over the years are the discontinued Sony MDR-ED21LP )
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
In terms of noise suppression, they are powered/switched so you can turn them off/on. Without any signal/music, by turning them on/off you can hear the effect of the noise suppression. When one turns them on, you can definitely hear a hush and reduction in ambient noise.

In terms of sound quality, that's probably more personal/subjective. One thing to note is the noise suppression circuitry also provides some amplification (in addition to the on/off switch, there is a volume dial). With my laptop (whose sound output is a little low), it helps with movies, etc. Listening to music, I think they are fine. I tend to lose/damage earbuds so I don't buy Etymotic or Shure (my favorites over the years are the discontinued Sony MDR-ED21LP )
Thanks. I guess what I had in mind is that if keep them off, how well do they block noise passively? (I'm guessing this is less well than the Etymotic's I already have, but I don't know how much less well)

And then is the active part (turning them on) meaningful? The hush quieting is a good start. I wonder if it's enough to make up for the (probably) less effective passive blocking.

Perhaps this is a good test:
Do you ever wear them (unpowered, musicless) for just passive noise blocking? E.g. take off & landing?
When off, does putting them in have a sort of earplug-like effect?
Old May 1, 2013, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by oshelef
Thanks. I guess what I had in mind is that if keep them off, how well do they block noise passively? (I'm guessing this is less well than the Etymotic's I already have, but I don't know how much less well)

And then is the active part (turning them on) meaningful? The hush quieting is a good start. I wonder if it's enough to make up for the (probably) less effective passive blocking.

Perhaps this is a good test:
Do you ever wear them (unpowered, musicless) for just passive noise blocking? E.g. take off & landing?
When off, does putting them in have a sort of earplug-like effect?
The passive part does reduce the noise level. I think "in-ear" plugs come with varying degrees of in-ear. My impression with the Shure's and Etymotic's are that they are relatively deep into the ear (hence very good passive blocking). Personally, I find things in my ear canal makes them itchy over time so I've avoided that. These go in partway and are comfortable for me. In fact, I tend to press the AT's in and, indeed, the sound level is less when I do. So, yes I do wear them on take-off and landing unpowered (but often plugged into the music IFE if it is available. The ambient sound is certainly dampened in that mode - there is an earplug-like effect.

On active, I think they work very well. There is a discernible reduction in background noise - it becomes quiet in the cabin both with and without a sound source. I've used the Bose active canceling headsets on planes (it's comes with AA's "IFE" on 763s) and I would say this is comparable. I don't like the Bose because them make my head/ears sweaty, god knows whose head they've been on and they are bulky. Bottom line, when I first used them I was pretty surprised at how much quieter the plane seemed and it made me realize how much noise I'd been experiencing over many million miles. I now pretty much wear them all the time on a plane unless I am chatting with someone.

The fact they are <$60 on Amazon and I can carry them easily in my computer bag is great.

FYI - I pretty much only use them in air as I have other earbuds for when I am running around that don't have the controller box.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:53 pm

Also check out Vsonic GR07 for small in ear headphones. Man wouldsay best in ear headphones at their price point with an extensive set of ear bud sizes/ densities. A million times more comfortable for sleeping than big noise canceling ear cans, and with the right tip for your ear just as good.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I agree that the Vsonic GR07 are the best sound quality for the price, but I found them to be much less effective at isolating external sounds than my previous Shures and Ety's. I just ordered some Airbud tips, and am going to see if the various Shure/Ety tips I have will fit.

If OP is actually asking about earplugs, as asked, rather then music listening devices, as answered, Leight MAXs are the best I've found, at NRR33. And at about $1/pair, hard to beat in price. For the ultimate isolation, I've wrapped a set of PlaneQuiet NC earmuffs around them. But I do that rarely, as it's bulky and much more to carry.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
I agree that the Vsonic GR07 are the best sound quality for the price, but I found them to be much less effective at isolating external sounds than my previous Shures and Ety's. I just ordered some Airbud tips, and am going to see if the various Shure/Ety tips I have will fit.

If OP is actually asking about earplugs, as asked, rather then music listening devices, as answered, Leight MAXs are the best I've found, at NRR33. And at about $1/pair, hard to beat in price. For the ultimate isolation, I've wrapped a set of PlaneQuiet NC earmuffs around them. But I do that rarely, as it's bulky and much more to carry.
Point well taken on the OP purpose!
On the Vsonic's I've had to really play with the tips to get it optimized. I actually use different ones in each ear and it works pretty well form me, and for my ear better than my last set of Westone 3's. Would be interested to know how the tip experiments go, always interested to know if I could make my set up better! Also contemplating going to an external amp, although seems like overkill while travelling.

For ear plugs haven't tried the Leight MAX's but will given them a try. Try out the Air Soft plugs as well.

sdemw.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:09 am

I have active noise canceling headphones and active noise cancelling earbuds, but I find it hard to sleep in either. I always bring a pair of Hearos ear plugs. They are cheap (there are several versions and sizes) they are soft and they are the only ones I can sleep in. They do pretty good job of cutting down the noise on and off the plane and are the most comfortable of any I have tried.

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimat.../dp/B001EPQ3H4
Old May 22, 2013, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by mg10461
I have active noise canceling headphones and active noise cancelling earbuds, but I find it hard to sleep in either. I always bring a pair of Hearos ear plugs. They are cheap (there are several versions and sizes) they are soft and they are the only ones I can sleep in. They do pretty good job of cutting down the noise on and off the plane and are the most comfortable of any I have tried.

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimat.../dp/B001EPQ3H4
Interesting - will give them a try.
S.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.