Search

Least Expensive Passport Photos.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Least Expensive Passport Photos.

So, I just thought I'd share...

There's pretty much always a $2.00 off Passport photos coupon for CVS or Walgreen's at any given time - just search for it on Google and it'll pop up.

Print it out & take it to CVS or Walgreens and you're still paying about 10 bucks for 2 passport photos of questionable quality.

I needed 3 photos for a visa application recently - that'd be about $20+ just for photos!

Solution - the Passport Photo Booth 2.5 App for iPhone. I took the picture with a white background (the walls in my apartment building hallways were white with surprisingly decent lighting!) and the total cost for 4 passport photos? Less than $1.50!

The app cost $0.99 and to print a 4x6 (which is 29 cents per print and is 4 passport sized photos) at Walgreens (upload via the Walgreen's app - or CVS has one too) and it's ready in an hour. I took the picture yesterday and picked up the 29 cent photo today and cut out the pictures.

Saved a bundle - definitely recommend this for the next time you need visa or passport photos (especially visa photos as they're not really all that permanent, unlike your passport).

I have no affiliation with this app - but it's a GREAT app (especially if you've got a family & need a lot of picts)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just make sure to thoroughly review the passport photo rules. Improper proportions, color balance or shadows can cause them to reject the photos.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I took the picture with a white background (the walls in my apartment building hallways were white with surprisingly decent lighting!) and the total cost for 4 passport photos? Less than $1.50!
You can take that picture with any digital camera, then just use this tool to crop:

http://travel.state.gov/_res/flash/c..._cropper.html#

Once you have the cropped photo, use Paint or any other program to put 6 of them together in a 2 by 3 formation. Then just print it on a 4"x6" photo anywhere. You get 6 passport photos for about $0.25.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Free at AAA for members, depending on your club.

Last edited by cordelli; Oct 9, 2012 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cordelli
Free at AAA for members.
Not in Northern CA - $15 here. I had my last set for a China visa done at Costco. $4.99 for two photos there and I had them in about 30 mins.
http://calstate.aaa.com/travel/resea...-photos-at-aaa
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I do mine at Costco too - I'm there every week; it's right on my way home. Take photo, do my grocery shopping, photos are ready
(my last set were for China visas too^)
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
We did our own, and printed them off spouse's work photo printer. No out of pocket cost since they're okay with light personal use of those printers, and he doesn't abuse the system.

No problems meeting the required photo specs.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
http://www.epassportphoto.com/

Works a treat and has most countries needs covered.

Ignore all the invitations to print or share on facebook and you end up with a set of photos cropped and ready to print at home.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Lomic
Just make sure to thoroughly review the passport photo rules. Improper proportions, color balance or shadows can cause them to reject the photos.
Eralier this year i delivered a friends application to The chinese consulate in chicago. The friends had taken the photos themselves and printed on a photo printer. The consulate did not like the background color of the photos my friends had taken and said new pictures would be required in order to pick up the visa.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this Thread in the FT Travel Products Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:09 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Add me to the Costco posse. I get my photos there for passports, visas, etc. Always quick and easy - $5, plus I get to go to the food court for some ice cream.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:01 am

I have another vote for epassportphoto.com. I print mine at Walgreen's since I don't have a color printer, but it is still only $0.29. That site is a boon for dual nationality households like mine. I found it when I needed passport photos for the baby. We put him on a white sheet and shot photos until we finally got one at met the standards.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Lomic
For my last two passport renewal/applications, I took the photos at home and printed them on photo paper with a color laser printer.

And, yes, if you're going to do this, just follow the instructions.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
+1 on printing them at Walgreens, etc.

I have a stack of them ready for any visa that comes along!

The US seems to want a different sized passport photo than other countries: a metric relic? My last visa (Indonesia consulate in SF) didn't like the size of the photos but were nice enough to trim them for me.

I always wonder what happens to all these passport photos? It must be horrible to have all this paperwork around those embassies. Do they really keep it? Why two photos? Does one get shipped off to HQ?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:07 pm

I have used this site http://www.idphoto4you.com/ for general usage, but never for actually submitting an official passport or visa application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.