Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Which seat cushion will get me through a 13-hour flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which seat cushion will get me through a 13-hour flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:10 am

I've tried them all and this one is, hands down, the best.

Standard ROHO Airplane Seat Cushion

A little more expensive, but well worth it and the only one that really gets rid of the pain pins in my rump. Also, it deflates and rolls up to fit in my carry on.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:28 pm

Hi I am new here but this conversation has personal ring:

Few years ago I suffered severe lower tail agitation due to long air flight. Problem continued to become worse and mine I think has become chronic.

However, there is a preventative solution that I wish I knew about that I use always now when I travel (and in my case even when I sit on office chair where I know I will be for few hours ).

In elderly health stores you can find these square pillow with a /\ cut in the back. This prevents the tailbone from getting agitated during long flights.

Thing to remember is that one is totally fine when awake but when body slouches during sleep, lower back and tail bone are vulnerable.

So sitting on the /\ cut pillow during long flights really helps.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:21 pm

what about this? do you guys think this will work? and get through TSA..

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=40791692
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:22 am

Flight Seat Cushions

I have bought a number of these. My favorite is the Magellan self inflating cushion. It has a "U" shape which makes it very comfortable on all seats. It is not uncommon, as we get older, to have problems sitting for long periods. It is sometimes a symptom of arthritis, which I have.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
I've used the thermarest camprest. With the First Class sleeper product I found it was essential, as well as a footrest. I have never slept so well on a plane in Y except on the trip I did with those 3 items.

recently I'm also using an old Built laptop cover that the zip broke on, and stuffing it with clothes to use as a cushion. The Built is made of neoprene and this means the pillow has a surface that does not slide around and is soft and comfortable.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: HH Gold, Delta Gold
This one has performed well for me on 14+ hour flights. Before I found this my tailbone would get really sore from an old skiing injury ^.

http://www.skwoosh.com/product/CPAF6325.html

Last edited by xxrice; Oct 4, 2013 at 10:33 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, UA
+1 for REI

I have been using this REI Sit Pad for a couple of years.

http://www.rei.com/product/845302/rei-sit-pad

It deflates and rolls up to water bottle size. I even use it on 3-4 hour domestic flights and won't travel without it. REI has a 1 year no-questions-asked refund policy and a lifetime warranty for defects on their products.

I've also started using it for long car trips and even for....hiking/camping - its intended use!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
REI used to have a comfy air seat cushion for 15-20$ or so. Try it out.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by xxrice
This one has performed well for me on 14+ hour flights. Before I found this my tailbone would get really sore from an old skiing injury ^.

I ordered this cushion. After I try it out, I'll post my thoughts.

I previously traveled a lot. One flight I dreaded getting through was Chicago to Hong Kong (15 hours). Usually at the 10 hour mark, I would look at my watch and think... Oh no, I still have 5 hours to do! :-(

It would have been nice to have a great pad.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by xxrice

Awesome! Similarly, I broke my coccyx in a plane crash about 25 years ago. The cushions I have tried were the "horseshoe" types that still put pressure on the tailbone.

I'll make the room in my personal item for one of these.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I have an inflatable seat cushion for my kayak. I routinely go 8 hours at a time in it and am very comfortable. Never brought it on a plane with me.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:28 am

[Removed unnecessary material]

Amyways. The best airplane jet seat cushion for your bum is therm a rest. Found at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HA...G91SXCE4M&vs=1

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 22, 2016 at 8:38 am Reason: Welcome to FlyerTalk; please review the FT Rules regarding civil posting. Thank you.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:19 pm

This thread resurrection is timely. I've managed to injure my tailbone and have a lot of travel coming up. I've got a memory foam coccyx cushion for my desk chair, but I think it's going to be too wide for use on a plane. I just ordered the Therm-a-rest travel cushion and also a Travelon inflatable cushion...will have to see which works best.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Ordered one of those Therm-a-rests for my next flight to Japan. I usually just sit on the airline pillow but that doenst really help. Thanks for posting that link!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:57 am

Well, I got both the Therm-a-rest and the Travelon. I took the Travelon with me, and it was fine. I'm glad I didn't take the Therm-a-rest...it would never have fit in the seat. I was on an AA 787 in economy and boy, are those seats narrow. I was also in a bulkhead seat, which made the seat even narrower. The Travelon just barely fit. There is zero chance the Therm-a-rest would have ever fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.