Rimowa Luggage - Discounted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Luggage - Discounted

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - GM, HH honors - GM, Marriott - GM, Hyatt Passport - PM, Hertz - Gold, Avis - Preferred
Thumbs up Rimowa Luggage - Discounted

Hi Gang,

Since you have provided me with such good information. I thought I would do the same for you. For those of you who are interested in Rimowa Luggage here is a 15% discount for you.

Note: Not sure how long this will last. So use it while its still available.

Bergman Luggage is offering a 15% discount on Rimowa luggage if you use the code save15 during checkout.

http://www.bergmanluggage.com/

Also, because Luggage Factory will beat any lower price that you find online by 5%. I ended up with a 20% discount.
The order is being shipped directly from Rimowa and should arrive in 3 business days.

http://www.luggagefactory.com/

So in essence I was able to get 20% off total for the two pieces I purchased which ended up being a little over 200.00 off. ^^ Can't beat that and if you can I wish I would have talk with you ahead of time...LOL

ENJOY FT!

Last edited by nmt12; Sep 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:33 pm

20 % !!!

What a thoughtful FT member. You are indeed fortunate in North America.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - GM, HH honors - GM, Marriott - GM, Hyatt Passport - PM, Hertz - Gold, Avis - Preferred
Originally Posted by Swissaire
20 % !!!

What a thoughtful FT member. You are indeed fortunate in North America.
Sorry Swiss...If I could help I most certainly would.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:02 pm

It seems it still comes out more expensive than ordering from Germany by about 30%. Also, they will all be Canadian made, and for that price, I'd rather get ones made in Germany. Thanks though!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, United
Originally Posted by lithdoc
It seems it still comes out more expensive than ordering from Germany by about 30%. Also, they will all be Canadian made, and for that price, I'd rather get ones made in Germany. Thanks though!
You may not have a choice of where it is made. I have seen topas that are made in Canada. I made the guy show me the stamp on the bottom, I was really surprised.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Just wondering...

Originally Posted by lithdoc
Just wondering, if you purchase from Germany do you have to pay for shipping as well? And I'm not sure where you guys are purchasing from but it was more expensive when I tried to purchase it from koffer direkt.

When I purchased my luggage yesterday, I didn't have to pay sales tax (being outside of NY) or shipping.

I think its a pretty good deal, plus I also don't have to wait a long time to receive it as i would if I purchased it overseas.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by brentley
You may not have a choice of where it is made. I have seen topas that are made in Canada. I made the guy show me the stamp on the bottom, I was really surprised.
Yes, most of the ones you buy in the United States will be made in Canada. North American market is supplied by Canadian factory - all the lines. They have a factory in Brazil as well - but they only make the polycarbonate ones there, and Topas lines are from Cologne. European market gets their Topas and Classic Flight lines from Cologne, and the polycarbonates from Czech Republic.

All I was trying to say that despite the 20% discount (probably very much against Rimowa policies) you would still come out on top buying from koffer-direkt and getting a German made one instead of Canadian.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:51 am

Good Morning.

1. Given the manufacturing equipment, materials used, and the quality requirements at the Canadian plant, and considering then the fact that each case must meet the German TÜV Rheinland standards ( which I might add are world-wide ), why then do you want a case made in Germany ? Is it for the label status ?

2. If you know, where in Brasil is the plant mentioned above located? Do they manufacture sheet polycarbonate, or the entire case ? It is an excellent idea to manufacture there, perhaps a tad expensive at the moment, but would certainly make a few million Brasilians proud of that fact.

Many Brasilians I know have spent a good sum at full retail price in Germany and North America (Rodeo Road) for Rimowa case sets while travelling.

There are excellent quality standards today in Brasil. My wife and I purchased a few Barcelona chairs & ottomans manufactured in Rio Grande Do Sul, ( replicas, of course, as the originals were made in 1929 ) after visiting the plant, and the quality is better than those we have in Europe. We use the chairs in beachfront condos (Aptos) and 4 years later, the inox or stainless steel, leather and cushioning are as good as new.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:20 am

Swissaire,

Yes, I want the German made one for the label status. If it was about 30% more expensive (like the Canadian one is even with the 20% off) I might reconsider. Above all, I'd prefer one that is made here in the USA, but because of high labor cost, they chose Canada for their NA manufacturing.

Sure, I do understand that the manufacturing standards are very high in both Canada and Brazil - I might argue that they may be even higher if they made them in China, where work ethic I believe is even better. After all, materials, stamping machinery and the rest is the same. I bet you most of us would complain non-stop and the premium status of Rimowa would quickly be tarnished if they made them in China.

As for Brazil - they only assemble polycarbonate suitcases there - and the actual shells are imported from Dow chemical factory in Cologne. They do not have the infrastructure to build shells in Brazil.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:41 pm

how do you order rimowa factory direct? i don't see the option on the webpage
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by op487062
Who is this question for?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:23 pm

Ideally, one orders by region, through the regional distributor, as illustrated on the Rimowa website.

The idea of purchasing online and out of region ( For example, a North American or Asian order from Germany ) is a relatively new process facilitated by the Internet.

In the past, the only direct orders from Rimowa Gmbh were for custom, one-off, specialty designs for guitars, electronics, picnics, rare wine, and sports equipment. Such items can be seen for sale occasionally on EBAY.DE, AT, and CH, with the associated high price expected of custom, or bespoke handwork.

To be helpful if that is your interest, the address details are provided below:

RIMOWA KOFFERFABRIK, Gmbh
Mathias-Brüggen-Str. 118, Ossendorf
50829 KÖLN, NORDRHEIN-WESTFALEN
Telefon: ( 0221 ) 9564170
Fax: ( 0221 ) 9564174
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:35 pm

There is no standard option for ordering factory direct. See Swissaire's post above.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

LOL

BTW....Everyone is welcome for the discount information...How or Why this turned into a thread for buying overseas is beyond me....
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by nmt12
BTW....Everyone is welcome for the discount information...How or Why this turned into a thread for buying overseas is beyond me....
Easy answer. The discount is good but buying overseas is better (if one doesn't mind a tuny bit of extra work). Still thanks for the discount info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.