Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best travel wallet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Best travel wallet

I am looking for a new travel wallet. I am a 30 year old male and want something functional which would fit well with my dress. I usually wear jeans, nice shoes, and a light sweater when traveling.

I would like to spend under $100 but could spend more if the perfect wallet came along. I need to fit 15 cards, a passport (preferably two), a pen, and some money. I would also prefer it to zip shut.

Here are two that I like but don't have everything I am looking for.

http://www.ebags.com/product/clava/s...FWHDtgodEkEArw

http://www.amazon.com/Rawlings-Baseb...pd_sim_sbs_a_4
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:49 am

Where do you plan on sticking those? If it fits, putting it in your back pocket begs it to be picked off of you and it looks like it wouldn't really fit in your front pocket either.

I only ask because you mentioned you normally would be wearing jeans. Would you stick the travel wallet in a bag or briefcase? If so, attire doesn't matter.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:21 am
Original Poster

I would carry it with my carry on bag so I could easily get through security. Then it would spend most of my time in the suitcase/safe while I am out with my smaller wallet.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:38 am

What does the Clava not have that you want? Room for two passports?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:55 am

I have this Bellroy travel wallet:

It's great, but too big to fit comfortably in a back pocket: it sticks out very obviously. Fine in a front pocket, depending on your trousers, but it does bulge a bit, and totally fine in an inside jacket pocket. Room for 7 cards (leather stretches though, so you could probably manage 15?), passport, boarding passes, and plenty of cash. Also comes with a handy pen for filling out customs forms (btw, Canadian customs forms won't fit easily into it, but I think US ones will). All in all I like it, but it has some drawbacks that mean if I had to again I probably wouldn't pay quite as much as what they're asking. YMMV.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
What does the Clava not have that you want? Room for two passports?
Two passports, a pen holder and a zipper.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Where do you plan on sticking those? If it fits, putting it in your back pocket begs it to be picked off of you and it looks like it wouldn't really fit in your front pocket either.
I, too, would strongly caution against putting your passports and your money in the same place, even if just temporarily. I say this having lost a slim travel wallet from a front pocket en route to a hotel from the airport.

Replacing a lost/stolen wallet is an order of magnitude harder if you lose all your ID along with it.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by yyzdub
I have this Bellroy travel wallet:

It's great, but too big to fit comfortably in a back pocket: it sticks out very obviously. Fine in a front pocket, depending on your trousers, but it does bulge a bit, and totally fine in an inside jacket pocket. Room for 7 cards (leather stretches though, so you could probably manage 15?), passport, boarding passes, and plenty of cash. Also comes with a handy pen for filling out customs forms (btw, Canadian customs forms won't fit easily into it, but I think US ones will). All in all I like it, but it has some drawbacks that mean if I had to again I probably wouldn't pay quite as much as what they're asking. YMMV.
Oh, that's nice. I just bought myself a Valextra(!) so I'm forbidden from buying any other wallets for a couple of months.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir
Have you tried Lucrin? Bit over budget, but their stuff is delightful, and this seems close to what you want, without pen holder though. They do a similar model without the coin purse.

http://www.lucrin.co.uk/travel-docum...her-p-1893.htm
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by RobCH
Have you tried Lucrin? Bit over budget, but their stuff is delightful, and this seems close to what you want, without pen holder though. They do a similar model without the coin purse.

http://www.lucrin.co.uk/travel-docum...her-p-1893.htm
I have one of those (well, not actually one of those). Ł5 from Tesco, in black nylon. I have to say it's fantastic. Holds all my receipts, tickets, papers, passport, frequent flyer cards, loads of room for currencies with a zip to hold everything together.

Great for travelling.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I have, use and love the Bellroy passport wallet. It has become my every day wallet. It is a bit long, because it holds a passport, but it fits in my pants easily. I never place a wallet in my back pocket, only my front pocket or cargo-pocket. The wallet fits easily in the front pocket of my LL Bean Jean, Banana Republic suit pants, any pants from Scottevest, North Face khakis, and everything else I own.

You can check it out here - http://bit.ly/yTysgC
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:16 pm

I use the Pacsafe PouchSafe 200 for a travel wallet in the airport. After going through security my passport has its own special place of hiding in either my money belt or in the concealed pocket on my Tilley pants. The reason being is that I don't believe in carrying all my important documents, money, or credit cards in one place. To me that is a recipe for disaster if it should become lost or stolen. While this wallet is not most fashionable thing around I believe security trumps good looks any day.

Shak

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe...uctid=10125674
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Never put all your eggs in one basket!

My normal wallet does have 3 main FF Cards, Driving Licence & select Credit/Debit Cards. This is a standard bill-fold with 8 credit card pockets. Always in my front trouser pocket.

Secured in my carry-on bag is another cheap card holder with less used FF/Hotel cards and spare credit cards, a little capsule that takes a €100 rolled bill and a valid, but unloaded, pre-pay cash card.

When walking out in an unfamiliar or risky place I always use a travel wallet that hooks onto a belt loop, and then down the front on my trousers, such as this. Normally, I'll only take out local currency, two credit cards and my UK ID Card (Now killed by the govt, but valid until 2020 and accepted in all places as ID.....)

Those travel wallets with all the tickets, passports and cards in a single location must be a great hit for thieves.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
I use the Exentri for travel and personal. It has slots for 7 cards; two slide in/out cards for my two most used cards and hold full size currency. It's also small. It does not take coins, boarding pass or passport. coins i just don't like to carry, boarding pass folds into passport and passport goes into pocket.

http://www.walletking.co.uk/brands/exentri.html
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Platinum
I have a Tom Bihn wallet for everyday use http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0319MIW.html

They also sell a RFID blocking passport pouch http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0932.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.