FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Best toiletry bag (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1360239-best-toiletry-bag.html)

cakegirl Jun 25, 2012 7:05 am

Best toiletry bag

I have to replace my old toiletry bag and I am looking for a hanging toiletry bag that is good quality, well organized, large enough to hold at least 2 weeks of toiletries and makeup and reasonably attractive. I have considered Orvis, LLBean and eagle creek and would love feedback on those or new suggestions.

tentseller Jun 25, 2012 7:41 am

Check out what eBags.com has to offer.

They have very good self branded products at a very good value price point. Sign up for their newsletter to get 20-25% off and sometimes free shipping.

tcook052 Jun 25, 2012 8:24 am

After trying a few types I've stuck with one version of the Eagle Creek Pack-It Slim Kit like this one though mine doesn't have the single zippered center pocket but several smaller open pockets instead. I like the new design better but decided it's just not worth the $20-odd dollars to me to upgrade my toiletry bag.

Overall it works well as it hangs on the towel hooks in most hotels, cruise ship cabins and is fairly light and can pack flat enough if you find the best way to arrange the items.

oldpenny16 Jun 25, 2012 9:36 am

Take a serious look at the Red Oxx (made in Montana USA) Tri-fold bag. Darn nice and extremely well made.

Lifetime 'no questions asked' replacement.

www.redoxx.comhttp://www.redoxx.com/Tri-fold-Shave...rifold/product

tcook052 Jun 25, 2012 9:53 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 18816911)
Take a serious look at the Red Oxx (made in Montana USA) Tri-fold bag. Darn nice and extremely well made.

Lifetime 'no questions asked' replacement.

$75. :eek: It should me well made and last a lifetime for that amount IMHO.

oldpenny16 Jun 25, 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 18817035)
$75. :eek: It should me well made and last a lifetime for that amount IMHO.

Over the years of hard travel, we have thrown away several bags of far less quality adding up for more than $75.

tcook052 Jun 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 18817176)
Over the years of hard travel, we have thrown away several bags of far less quality adding up for more than $75.

YMMV then I guess as I've found the aforementioned Eagle Creek bag I bought for $20-something to be of good quality and has lasted the past 5+ years of frequent if not constant use.

cakegirl Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 18817995)
YMMV then I guess as I've found the aforementioned Eagle Creek bag I bought for $20-something to be of good quality and has lasted the past 5+ years of frequent if not constant use.

I've always had good luck with Eagle Creek before, so I'll probably go with that. The Wallaby is bigger than the Slim Kit, but still has a lot of organization, so that may be better for me.
I once used the hanging hook of my toiletry bag to break out of an outdoor shower stall with a broken lock on the edge of the Sahara in Morocco. Now I am superstitious about it and require that my toiletry bag has a hook!

TheInfamousJ Jun 25, 2012 6:27 pm

I have evolved over the years, and at this point, for me the most important feature of my toiletry kit is that it allows the wet things I put inside of it to dry while it is hanging. As a result, I have changed my toiletry kit entirely to be a mesh ditty bag (such as this one from Outdoor Research) and a small metal S-hook.

I dump my baggie of liquids into the mesh sack that already contains my solids, and by putting the S-hook on the bag side of the cord lock (as opposed to the knotted side of the draw cord), I can control how far the bag hangs from the thing I've hooked the S-hook to. Extra bonus is that sometimes if there are hooks as opposed to towel bars, I don't need to use the S-hook.

I've found that I almost never bring enough toiletries that I'd need to have a place for every bottle and every bottle in its place, and having everything in a central pocket isn't problematic.

Buster Jun 26, 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by cakegirl (Post 18818202)
I've always had good luck with Eagle Creek before, so I'll probably go with that. The Wallaby is bigger than the Slim Kit, but still has a lot of organization, so that may be better for me.
I once used the hanging hook of my toiletry bag to break out of an outdoor shower stall with a broken lock on the edge of the Sahara in Morocco. Now I am superstitious about it and require that my toiletry bag has a hook!

I bought my husband a Wallaby over 10 years ago, and it has withstood the beating he has given it. It's been in the wash several times due to feral toothpaste and shaving cream incidents, and is still 100% intact.

Mellonc Jun 26, 2012 12:37 pm

I just use the free one that came with Briggs 21 inch (U421LX). Light, thin, yet waterproof. Of course, I have a separate 311 bag which is a transparent makeup bag (for ladies) I bought at CVS for $6.95. Seems a bit feminine but the sturdy and clear PVC material has lasted over 7 years and still going strong.

I also don't carry that much toiletries as hotels simply give you a shaving kit if you just ask for it.

Megn Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm

The eBags Pack it flat is well organized and contains bottles well. It's longer than I thought it would be, but does pack flat. Too large for me when I travel, but it works well in my gym bag and I've stopped leaving toiletries behind.

dtsm Jun 26, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm a cpap user so get a free carry-on with my cpap/mask/accessories. I have enough room to put my meds and toiletries in same carry on. I found the most reliable bags from Zip-loc. The gallon size, with the smaller quart size as compartments. Durable, water proof, clear see through for both TSA and you

:D

tentseller Jun 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Megn (Post 18826617)
The eBags Pack it flat is well organized and contains bottles well. It's longer than I thought it would be, but does pack flat. Too large for me when I travel, but it works well in my gym bag and I've stopped leaving toiletries behind.

We have a set these in his and hers for taking toiletries in checked baggage.

Hers look newer. Mine has held up well in the three years of usage. I have other eBags products and they are very good design, great value at their price point.

bkkman69 Jun 26, 2012 9:11 pm

I have the same LLBean Personal Organizer (Large) which I bought 10 years ago...has held up through 100+ trips and in some of the most extreme conditions...

I have also bought 10+ for family and friends over the years...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/507361?nav=bc