Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa Classic Flight or Topas dilemma..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:15 pm
Used to be '076753k'
Original Poster

Programs: AirCanada*G

G'day,

My work schedule changed, and I'm flying more; ergo, I want a new carry one. I have been quite happy with my 20inch wide B&R transcend, however, I think the timing is right for a nice shiny aluminum case. I have always admired German design, so I'm looking at Rimowa for the upgrade. I like the packing discipline that a hardsided piece offers, and its something I'm not going to want to check. I was thinking of ordering online, and koffer24 seems to be the place to do it (shipping to Canada).

Choices:

http://www.koffer24.de/shop/de/en/pr...il#all_reviews

or

http://www.koffer24.de/shop/de/en/pr...?filter=detail

The 1st one is quite the bargain compared to the 2nd. Any suggestions between the two? Doesn't seem to be that much difference between the case, Classic a touch lighter simple interior, TSA locks on the topas (but this will be a strictly carry on case)

Additionally, there is a Rimowa store in Toronto. Does anyone have any experience having prices matched to whats available online?

Thanks,
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:10 pm

Get the Topas. The higher price is justified by mostly two things. The locks are completely different. The latches on the Topas are sunk into the suitcase. That protects them. They are also much sturdier.

The second reason are the wheels. Same thing. The side of the wheels is protected in the Topas. They can't be bent out so easily.

Three, well I can't even count till three, the hand grips are sturdier and fixed better to the case. They may even be spring-loaded as to lie flat against the case. Not sure about that.

Four, the divider that comes with it is indeed very practical. At least I think so. If you don't like, you can take it out completely.

Finally, the Topas has an integrated bag strap to hang another bag from the main bag. The Classic doesn't have that, afaik.

Not sure about importing to Canada or price matching. My hunch is that price matching will be a no-go because it is not a site from Canada. And then you will probably get stiffed on import duties. Might still be cheaper than in Canada itself, though.

Or buy one in Germany when you are there.

Till
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:37 am

Good morning to you.

Agree with the comments above. Buy in Germany or order from there. There is a third option also of a 4 wheel alu case, same size, and the new 747-8 with light chamois leather trim and handle from any of the Lufthansa Worldshops.

Yes, the locking hinges are recessed in the alu case design. The handle is not spring loaded, but does not flop around. I've never used the bag strap: Early models did not have that option as the newer do today. But a Rimowa Computer or Notebook bag over the pull handle I use constantly.

You seem well motivated: You won't regret it.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: some
+3 on the Topas!
I bought the classic flight three years ago (the price difference was too big to ignore) but have been looking for an excuse to switch to the Topas ever since (mostly for the locks).
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:20 am

Lufthansa World Shop is offering the Topas Lufthansa alu carry-on, and the XL as a two-for-one purchase currently.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:22 am

My apologies: Attached is the link for the LH World Shop offer.

https://www.worldshop.eu/product/Luf...-Set/1740979?0
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
I have the opposite opinion of everyone else.

I think if its a carry-on only, get the Classic Flight. Its alot cheaper.

The Topas is a nice bag, i have a large one for checked luggage. But if you don't need the TSA locks, or the extra protection on the carousel, I don't see the need in paying more for a Topas in your case. The Topas has the nice features Till was talking about like the wheel protection, recessed locks, sturdier handles, but I don't think they are as important for carry-on.

Yes order from one of the two Koffer stores in Germany. So much cheaper. And no need to have to haggle with price matching in North America. Be careful though, one Rimowa took 2 weeks form Germany, my most recent took 4 weeks.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:55 pm

You are right. These features would be even more important in a checked bag. I just find that already in a carry-on they are nice to have. It's subjective whether one thinks it's worth it, too. Recessed locks are certainly nice because you won't pull other stuff out of the luggage bin that gets hooked on protruding locks and then falls down on you or other pax.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:40 am
Used to be '076753k'
Original Poster

Programs: AirCanada*G
Thanks for all the info. I might actually be going to munich in september, so I'll pick one up then. The worldstore deal looks pretty good, but its too bad it have the LH logo on it.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:28 am

RIMOWA is stamped on the product normally as it always is, with the LH logo added into the circular 3-D slot. Many do not notice it as it is small: Others may appreciate the fact that the owner flies LH ( Ours received compliments on AA and Virgin ).

One can substitute THAI AIRWAYS, or any other logo in that slot. I have one item that states BEVERLY HILLS on the slot, from the Rimowa store located on Rodeo Drive. Quite unique and much appreciated, but still 100 % Rimowa.

I do find the tendency to spray paint large lettering onto the cases a bit much. Some may find that sexy, or somehow justifying an extra $ 1000. USD, as an exclusive item, but I don't. It was included on an early Rimowa camera case purchase back in my SLR days, stating AMAZONAS for all the world to see, and possibly even the space shuttle.

A quick cloth in acetone did the trick. Gone, and the case stills looks brand new.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Swissaire
RIMOWA is stamped on the product normally as it always is, with the LH logo added into the circular 3-D slot. Many do not notice it as it is small: Others may appreciate the fact that the owner flies LH ( Ours received compliments on AA and Virgin ).

One can substitute THAI AIRWAYS, or any other logo in that slot. I have one item that states BEVERLY HILLS on the slot, from the Rimowa store located on Rodeo Drive. Quite unique and much appreciated, but still 100 % Rimowa.

I do find the tendency to spray paint large lettering onto the cases a bit much. Some may find that sexy, or somehow justifying an extra $ 1000. USD, as an exclusive item, but I don't. It was included on an early Rimowa camera case purchase back in my SLR days, stating AMAZONAS for all the world to see, and possibly even the space shuttle.

A quick cloth in acetone did the trick. Gone, and the case stills looks brand new.
Do not use acetone on the polycarbonate cases!. Aluminium is fine of course.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:38 pm

My apologies: Attached is the link for the LH World Shop offer.

https://www.worldshop.eu/product/Luf...-Set/1740979?0
Know of anywhere that ships to the states?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:50 pm

Thank you, Neverfirst.

We were of course, talking about Aluminum Classic Flight and Topas luggage. But your cautionary regarding polycarbonate is well advised.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by precipitous
Know of anywhere that ships to the states?
I do.

You can make your purchase in Germany, and ship to the US, or anywhere in the world. This service is located in Konstanz (Constance), Germany. Send your email in English to the following email address:

[email protected]

I can vouch for this service highly: We use it for online purchases in Germany to be sent to Switzerland.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
I do.

You can make your purchase in Germany, and ship to the US, or anywhere in the world. This service is located in Konstanz (Constance), Germany. Send your email in English to the following email address:

[email protected]

I can vouch for this service highly: We use it for online purchases in Germany to be sent to Switzerland.
Nice, but her website only seems to mention Switzerland, so precipitous please do report back if she does ship to the US for you.

I like this line on her website,

Wer sich etwas an meine Adresse bestellt, ohne sich vorher bei mir registrieren zu lassen, bringt mir ab jetzt , bei der Abholung , eine Tafel Schweizer Schokolade mit und zahlt 30 Euro für meine Zeit, wenn ich recherchieren muss, wer dieser Spassvogel ist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.