Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa Classic Flight or Topas dilemma..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Classic Flight or Topas dilemma..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:22 pm

I can answer that for you Never First, as Preciptous would hardly know that as yet.

This service has sent items of German cookware, and individual EBAY.DE purchases we either bought for our son, or that he did, in Germany, to be sent on four different occasions to his home in California. The German store or seller would not ship outside of Germany, which is quite common for sellers there. Thus we used this service, which is licensed in Germany to work around the shipping difficulties with our German neighbours, if you will.

The service works in this manner: You set-up your own personal account, which is free. You then make your purchase in Germany, having the shipment delivered to the address of the service in Konstanz. That service confirms the arrival and good condition of the article(s) and then notifies you of the arrival.

You then receive a second email estimate of shipping cost to the US, in this case. If you approve, the item is shipped. One may pay for this shipment using a variety of credit cards: In our case we used PAYPAL, which is common enough in North America.

A third email confirming the shipment with tracking Nr. is then sent to you. Then comes the hard part: Tracking and Waiting.

The large boxes of cookware sets, comparable to luggage cartons, took 3.5 weeks to arrive in California, USA. They were intact and to date, there has been no US Customs tax or fees. As I recall all were finally delivered to his door by US Postal Service, which trades off from Deutsche Poste or DHL.DE and not DHL. USA

There are many such services in Germany and Austria such as this company. We chose to use this one based upon an article in our own SWISSINFO, and it works for us very well in Switzerland and to North America.

I hope this is helpful to anyone interested in online products from Europe. It is a very good solution, luggage included.

Last edited by Swissaire; Jun 16, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:19 am

Thanks for the information Swissaire! Does anyone know where I can find more pictures of the carry-on or know how wieldly the piece is? I noticed that it only has two wheels.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:01 pm

Here you are:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/RIMOWA-Cabin-...item3cc787edc2

This is an older LH Rimowa carry-on, probably 1990-2000 vintage. The newer model is slightly more cubical shaped, with the addition of the pull-out bag strap on the top. The interior is roughly the same design.

For comparison you can also see the difference between the Salsa Air and Topas carry-on if you look at my photos here, located under the Extras tab above.

As you can see from the many photos, the case is intact, and they last.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:40 pm

After reaching out to your contact I jumped on this earlier today. I'm hoping to take delivery before my travels on the 2nd. Thanks again! Are there any other pertinent differences between this and the Topas line?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:42 pm

1. Good for you.
2. I share your hope.
3. You are most welcome.
4. No.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:10 pm

My sleuthing suggests otherwise, but is there any chance of having the VAT refunded?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by precipitous
My sleuthing suggests otherwise, but is there any chance of having the VAT refunded?
I would also think this is not going to happen.
The sticking point will be proving it was exported - the post office/courier will be unable to certify that. The only two ways that I know it can be done are by personal inspection at the point of exit from the EU or to have a shipper who has been permitted to pack the items and complete the certification.

I think you also need some paperwork from Worldshop, and I think they have to belong to a refund-scheme.

So, all things considered, I thnk you might have to just consider it a donation to the coffers of the EU economy.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:23 pm

I'm heading back home tomorrow, and in talking to my wife the new LH Worldshop catalogue is at home.

If you are making a purchase or not with LH Worldshop from North America, you can request a free copy via email. The catalogue is available in English.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:49 am

I didn't realize that the XL was 62 linear inches. That's the max United will accept without assessing an excess baggage fee
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:40 am

62 linear inches is now common as the standard.

It is the maximum linear measurement acceptable to most airlines as checked luggage, and has been for sometime now.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:28 am

It worries me with the ever-changing nature of airline travel, given the investment. Just a cautionary tidbit to anyone who might not be as proficient in metric conversion as I thought I was. If anyone is interested in this set my OCD might compel me to let go of it
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:12 pm

i would suggest salsa air for carry on. If you are not checking in why do you need to be that strong. And for checked bags topas if you don't care about weight.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:28 pm

I take a chance in a cold thread. Even for a carry on, the Topas is the right pick, looking at the spec. 4 wheels etc. BUT the classic looks so much better! I can live with all the external differences. But the interior is just too limited in the classic. Do you think it is possible to buy and fit the Topas interior inside the classic? I'm talking about the 32 vs 35 litre version/size.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:14 pm

Some like the Classic model, and others something more modern. Other posts here suggest that fabric luggage is superior, top loaders versus clamshells, and dark, steathly cases somehow attract less thievery than metallic or bright colours.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Purchase a case and organize it internally to your needs, to your satisfaction.

The interior confirguaration for the Classic is entirely up to you. On occasion I have removed the interior dividers from our various Rimowa cases, usually to accomodate a large item inside.

One trip to Brasil this included a flatscreen television set to European standards ( Fortaleza uses PAL-M with 220-240 v, while the majority of other states in Brasil use NTSC with 110V ). The flatscreen was wrapped in plastic, surrounded by expansion foam, which acted to protect the television and stabilize the case from twisting and being torqued.

Once that arrived (intact), everything was inspected, then removed, with the return leg accomodating some hand-made linen and cloth items made in Ceara. The case was lightly packed, but without the mesh dividers things might have moved around inside the case, so a little packing tape was used inside, on both sides of the case.

No issues with customs (ours), no torque of the case, and no damage aside from a small scuff mark. Keep in mind that the dividers keep the case from being overloaded and blowing out, in addition to isolating and organizing packed all items inside.

Heading back in late April for two weeks, hopefully after the rainy season has ended. Unless my wife decides on more to take down, this will be a Salsa carry-on only trip, ZRH-GRU-FOR.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:49 pm

just finally got myself my first rimowa
bought a ten year old but barely used set of Classic flights, including an IATA cabin size trolley, one bigger one, and one attaché, for a very very descent price.
Might resell one or two as I mainly wanted the carry on one, but who knows in case I don't get a good price (its the 10 year old model, hasn't got the brown leather grips e.g.) I might keep them all.

But for what u use an attaché anyway.. I am mostly making student-like holiday around the world, with a big backpack, or city trips in Europe, not much business..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.