Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free Cigarettes to USA with Airport Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Duty Free Cigarettes to USA with Airport Transfer

Hi,

I'll be travelling from Singapore to New York, arriving at JFK, and then catching a domestic flight 3 hours later to Chicago, from LaGuardia. I was hoping to buy duty-free cigarettes at the departure hall in SG. Can anyone help me with the following qns?

(a) How many sticks can I bring into the States?
(b) If I leave JFK with my sticks, can I bring them onto my flight in LaGuardia without declaring them or paying additional taxes?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give on this
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
The CBP says
"Returning resident travelers, for those over the age of 21, may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession)."
Source
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your onwards flight to ORD Is a US domestic flight. There are no additional taxes or duties to be paid on items for personal use (including gifts) taken across state lines. In theory, if you were to sell the cigarettes in Chicago, you would pay Illinois tobacco taxes. But, that seems fanciful.

Just declare the cigarettes on entry to the US at JFK, put them away and forget about them.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: CBP
It's $10.04 for every carton over the 1 you are allowed.

If you bring 2, we're likely not going through the paperwork of charging you $10.04. At my port, you can bring in a few extras and we're not motivated enough to charge you.

Now if you're one of those guys that brings in a whole suitcase, you're gonna have a bad time. I think the most I saw was 144 cartons. At that point we get into it being commercial merchandise and all the problems that come with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.