Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for lighter carry-on for back/hip issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Question Light luggage for someone with shoulder/back issues

Hi,

I'm looking for something like this that is lighter weight, but has storage for my MacBook Air 13.3. I also love this luggage because it holds a lot and has good structure and compartments. Problem is that it is a bit too large on my international flight to London, and since I am disabled, the stewards glare and put it aside for me. I am usually in the seat in front (forgot the name) that offers more leg room for me but will not allow you to store luggage under seat in flight takeoffs and landings. I can't get it into overhead storage myself. It does weight 9 pounds. Love it and looking for something similar but slightly smaller (only slightly-have to brings many mediations). I may not be able to afford another piece of luggage for my next trip and just will have to suck up my humiliation. But thought I would check here. This is the one I have. I also check a larger bag as it is a four week trip. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:52 pm

@Deedj, you'll probably get more responses if you start your own thread. I have my own shoulder and knee issues, so I can sympathize with your dilemma. Just a thought, but you might rethink how you do luggage. I realized a few years ago that I could fit more stuff into a large (9"x21"x14"ish) backpack for a lot less weight because the backpack doesn't have the frame and wheels. Since I don't have the shoulders to carry that, I pair it with a rolling personal-sized bag. The Travelon bag bungee straps one to the other so that you don't have to carry anything through the airport.

Since you mention affording the luggage, you might look at this Campmor bag for only $28.00 and 1 lb 12 oz. You would need to choose a rolling bag that would take the MacBook and anything else that needed protection.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Lightest carry on Bag

@Megn-thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I will start my own thread tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can't do backpacks-I am 63 and my back is also a problem and backpacks hurt! I don't need a second smaller one like the one you linked-I use my purse for that. But I do need a roll-on carry bag that will allow for my laptop and still be as functional as the one I have that I linked too. I love that bag, actually, but I'd like to try something a bit smaller. Was thinking of the Ebags 22 inch weekender-which has about the same dimensions, but an inch or so less in most areas except height. It is also lighter an on sale for 129 if you put in your cart by the 28th, I just don't know if I want to make a decision that fast or if the differences will be that great. Thanks-if you know about this bag, or anyone else has suggestions until I make a separate thread, please let me know. Thanks again.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Oh, not sure if I posted the link since my post has not been published. This is the one.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...0&rlid=HOME_RR
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:24 am

I have an eBags Weekender backpack that I really like. I have arthritis in my back, so I can't carry backpacks either, but the straps help keep them balanced on other rolling luggage. Look at the dimensions of the Campmor bag that I linked too and you'll see that at 19"x9"x13", it's only a few inches smaller than the bag that you linked to and weighs six pounds less. There are other soft bags that are closer to the 22"x9" carry on standard, but they cost more than $28.00. I didn't believe that I could pack as much or more in a soft bag until I tried it. I came home from a trip and unpacked my full roller into a large backpack. Not only did everything fit, but I had room to spare.

I have several arthritic joints along with some peripheral neuropathies that can make travel a real challenge. I started paring a large soft bag with a rolling personal bag for the little regional jets, but found that I can pack everything that I need for a week in my two bags and neither one weighs more than 7 lbs fully packed. The bag that you link to starts at 7 lbs and that's before you start packing in it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Looking for lighter carry-on for back/hip issues

Hi,

I'm looking for something like the luggage I have linked below this that is lighter weight, but has storage for my MacBook Air 13". This is important-the laptop. I also love this luggage because it holds a lot and has good structure and compartments. Problem is that it is a bit too large on my international flight to London, and since I am disabled, the stewards glare and put it aside for me. I am usually in the bulkhead seats that offer more leg room for me but those seats require that you store luggage in the bin on flight takeoffs and landings. I can't get lift it into overhead storage myself, so if I'm lucky, they store it for me. It does weight 9 pounds. Love it and looking for something similar but slightly smaller (only slightly-have to brings many mediations). I may not be able to afford another piece of luggage for my next trip and just will have to suck up my humiliation. But thought I would check here. This is the one I have. I also check a larger bag as it is a four week trip.

I am unable to use a backpack.

I also was thinking of the Ebags TLS 22 expandable carry-on, but I'm not sure if the slight weight difference (about 2 pounds) and slight inch difference is enough to justify the price, which even on sale, is just an addition to debts while saving for a trip. I was told I might get more advice if I posted my own thread, so I am! Below is the Ebag link and the Amazon link for the bag I have. Thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...1&cartItemId=1
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

I am not sure why my new thread posts go to a previous thread

Posted in this thread and was told to make a new thread-I did-and it has been added to the previous thread rather than being made a new thread! I'm frustrated, and hope someone can help with my questions. Thank you!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Megn
I have an eBags Weekender backpack that I really like. I have arthritis in my back, so I can't carry backpacks either, but the straps help keep them balanced on other rolling luggage. Look at the dimensions of the Campmor bag that I linked too and you'll see that at 19"x9"x13", it's only a few inches smaller than the bag that you linked to and weighs six pounds less. There are other soft bags that are closer to the 22"x9" carry on standard, but they cost more than $28.00. I didn't believe that I could pack as much or more in a soft bag until I tried it. I came home from a trip and unpacked my full roller into a large backpack. Not only did everything fit, but I had room to spare.

I have several arthritic joints along with some peripheral neuropathies that can make travel a real challenge. I started paring a large soft bag with a rolling personal bag for the little regional jets, but found that I can pack everything that I need for a week in my two bags and neither one weighs more than 7 lbs fully packed. The bag that you link to starts at 7 lbs and that's before you start packing in it.

Thanks, Megn. I will look more closely at that. I don't MIND spending more, I just would prefer not to. If you know of the bags that are more money, lighter weight, and slightly more structured than the $28.00 one, let me know. Since I carry a tote/purse, I am allowed one carry on besides that, so once I check my larger bag, I need to be able to carry the rest. Maybe I am a bit confused about the backpacks and not using them as such, the straps, etc. I also need to be able to carry and protect my computer-and it doesn't look like I can do that with the Camphor bag? So I am still left finding rolling luggage that is reasonable and lightish to carry the Camphor bag on, and then using the Camphor bag as a purse/tote. It all seems a bit complicated to me, so maybe I am not understanding correctly. I just wanted a more structured, lighter replacement to my current bag. I use special assistance, so I can get wheeled through to boarding-but sometimes they screw up, and even if they don't I would like a lighter ROLLING bag that I can take on the plane, the Camphor can or cannot act as a tote, but I still need the rolling bag or will just do what I've been doing for now?

Last edited by Deejd; Nov 28, 2014 at 7:15 am
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:39 pm

Personally, I usually travel with a Motherlode Junior on a rolling briefcase platform. That way, the computer can go in either bag, since the eBags has a sling and padding designed for computers. I agree that the Campmor bag looks like a poor choice for a computer, but most small rollers would have enough structure to protect it. Many people on this forum recommend the Air Boss. A key feature is that it unzip like a normal suitcase. Trust me when I say that clothes go in a lot easier if you can lay them in flat versus stuffing them in through an opening.

I don't carry a purse when I travel. It's a tempting target for thieves and just one more thing to lose. For day of travel, my wallet, phone, and keys go in the bag that will be at my feet. Chapstick, lotion, earphones, etc. go in a very small amenities bag. At destination, if I'm working, what I need travels in the rolling briefcase. This is an added bonus since my shoulders don't like lugging computer bags either. If I'm playing tourist, I might bring along http://www.rei.com/product/809163/re...travel-daypack. While it is a backpack, it doesn't weight that much if it only holds wallet, water bottle, jacket, and maybe umbrella and because it's unstructured, it doesn't take any space when empty. It has also been my personal bag on occasion. If it's cool enough outside, I wear a jacket with some great pockets and don't carry anything.

I find that I can expand to fill any given space; the larger the tote or purse, the more I can find to put in it, means the more weight I'm carrying, means the less happy my joints are at the end of the day. Part of the zen of easier travel is looking really closely at everything you pack and deciding a) if you really need the item and b) if the item is available in a lighter and/or more compact form. That's why I no longer travel with 7lb suitcases.

The Campmor bag would be too large to use as a personal bag unless you really underfilled it. Let me see if I can explain this a bit more clearly. I roll on:
  1. A small rolling tote or briefcase that counts as my personal bag
  2. A large soft bag in the 22x14x9" range, such as the Campmor or the eBags or the Air Boss, that counts as my carry on

Your tote or purse either goes inside one of the two bags above or empty in your checked bag for use at destination. The bag bungee that I mentioned earlier attaches the two to each other so that they roll easily. In your case, the backpack hooks over the back of the wheelchair for the ride through the airport and you're only left with the small roller in your lap. Does this help make it all clearer?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

You wrote so much and I understand so little-maybe a little better. I have no idea what a rolling platform is for the motherlode, I can't carry a backpack at all-it's my shoulders. I will never have a backpack on my back ;-). I guess I need a video ;-). But for me, I am the MOST comfortable with a purse or tote, because it's always with me and I can put leftover meds, and many things I need (I really do need them) with me when my carryon is in a bin or not with me. I am very comfortable with the roller as I go on holiday I need to be able to roll not just in the airport. I rarely take my bags out of a hotel unless transferring to a train, which is a problem. This is a five week trip, in two different places. I don't travel often, I don't work now, so I don't need to consider that. I'm afraid I'm lost. I just wanted a lighter, slightly smaller rolling bag, no backpacks and cords. Rolling is the least hard on my whole body. Bending for anything is not. I will look more at the post later and try to figure more out. I do understand a lot but it's not what I'm looking for, though I'm trying to pack lighter. I have a 25 inch checked suitcase plus need to find this smaller roller bag. I use a nylon tote for purse that is light but gets heavier when I fill it. The Boss looks nice but I do need a handle and rollers. I do have a very large nylon fold up thing I pack or check if I come back with more than I started with. Sorry-I appreciate your help and empathy but I do feel a bit lost. You can sign me off- a lost cause ;-).

Last edited by Deejd; Nov 28, 2014 at 1:14 pm
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Deejd,

You may want to check out the Rick Steves Rolling Carry-On. It weighs 6 pounds and has gotten great reviews.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=527

There is recent review here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...g-carryon.html
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MtlTourist
Deejd,

You may want to check out the Rick Steves Rolling Carry-On. It weighs 6 pounds and has gotten great reviews.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=527

There is recent review here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...g-carryon.html
Thanks-looks like a possibility. I do like to keep my laptop in a pocket on the outside of the bag so I have access. It doesn't look like a 13" would fit in that bottom pocket. I see an "Italy" brochure peeking out of what looks to be a side pocket, and wonder if it is a zipped closure. You probably don't know, I will have to contact them and also look around for similar kinds of bags. Thanks again. Edited to add: looks like the side zipper is 12" by 20", so an inch short! The search goes on. I may just do what I did last year, and take the Samsonite Spinner-2 flights, 2 train trips. I did see the Lillput (?) Paris 22" 4 wheel, which is 3 pounds lighter, and has a narrow outside pocket, but for 200 dollars, and the same dimensions, not sure if 3 pounds is worth it. The Ebags would probably be a better value that I linked to earlier. I wish I had an Apple tablet, but I don't, and I don't have much need for it right now except for once a year international travel.

Last edited by Deejd; Nov 28, 2014 at 9:18 pm
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Megn
P
The Campmor bag would be too large to use as a personal bag unless you really underfilled it. Let me see if I can explain this a bit more clearly. I roll on:
  1. A small rolling tote or briefcase that counts as my personal bag
  2. A large soft bag in the 22x14x9" range, such as the Campmor or the eBags or the Air Boss, that counts as my carry on

Your tote or purse either goes inside one of the two bags above or empty in your checked bag for use at destination. The bag bungee that I mentioned earlier attaches the two to each other so that they roll easily. In your case, the backpack hooks over the back of the wheelchair for the ride through the airport and you're only left with the small roller in your lap. Does this help make it all clearer?
Megn-I think I do understand this better now, except I'm not sure what you mean by a backpack, unless you are still thinking I can use the Camphor or any bag as a backpack-I can't. If I took the Campmor as a shoulder bag and a laptop tote (doesn't hold that much except laptop and a few other narrow items), I think the Campmor would be very heavy for me once packed. I'm also not sure if the Campmor is sturdy enough for heavy medications, etc., but since I have the laptop rolling (has a long handle) tote already, it might be worth trying? The only thing that bothers me about this set-up is I still need a check-in bag, and that means that with trains, I would be trying to maneuver three bags, not two. Still think that I need the right slightly smaller, soft-sided or partially soft-sided carry on that has room for my laptop. I can't find one yet. Yes, I know I would have three bags including my purse if I carried it, along with one checked and one carry on bag, but my purse is by my side and is easy to carry and reasonably lightweight.

Last edited by Deejd; Nov 29, 2014 at 4:20 am
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:53 am

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about, from back when I first started using this method. I very rarely carry the backpack as a backpack because that's really painful. It just sits on the roller and rolls along, with one strap on each side of the handle so it's less likely to slide to one side. What you see in the picture holds everything I need for five nights away from home. Anything longer and I have to check a bag.

It sounds like my solution doesn't fit in with how you like to travel and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:50 am

As a tangent to this thread, has anyone found a solution for:

- The wrinkle-free awesomeness of a garment bag
- Can bring on-board a small jet without valet-checking
- Wheeled to save a bad back

I've been reading the threads all morning, but anything even vaguely garment-bag-like I worry would be forced to be valet checked at my regional airport.

(I was thinking of just putting a wheel on my skyroll, but it's still probably too bulky/long for regional jets.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.