Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Widebody stopped at the gate?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Widebody stopped at the gate?

For those of you with a 20" widebody traveling domestically in the US, how often are you stopped from carrying on because it doesn't fit in the little tester? I think the widebody shape makes sense, but don't want to get one if they make me gate check often. Thanks
Old May 7, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: AC*E, A3*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ryan80
For those of you with a 20" widebody traveling domestically in the US, how often are you stopped from carrying on because it doesn't fit in the little tester? I think the widebody shape makes sense, but don't want to get one if they make me gate check often. Thanks
I can only speak for 2 separate flights, both with US (757 and A319), but no concerns by anyone using the BR 20" WB. While the wide body gives a good amount of extra space, it's not obnoxiously bigger than any other bag because its height and depth are still normal. It's really only different by 2" in one of the dimensions. The squareness of the bag deceives - once I throw a briefcase over the handles it looks like any case.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I agree... no issues on US flights. I've flown on 319, 320, 737 and E190
Old May 9, 2012, 2:43 pm

I think you'll never be asked to put your bag in sizer but its a good idea to get awareness about luggage size requirements. In fact wide body 20" bad is considered as their international European baggage.
Old May 10, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I doubt you'll be significantly less likely to get checked with a 20" widebody than someone carrying standard 22" rollaboard. The only time I've been asked to size my 22" Travelpro is at the AA departure level at LAX (which has a reputation for being very strict.) I think the point with using legal sized bags is that if you get asked to size it (however unlikely) you pass and don't have to check the bag and potentially pay a fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.