Reload this Page >

Best Duffel / Travel Bag for a CRJ 200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Duffel / Travel Bag for a CRJ 200

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by oshelef
How well does the motherlode fit into a crj overhead? On paper it's the same size (or larger) as plenty of 20" rollerboards that don't fit. Does it only fit if it isn't full and you make the most of the soft sides?

Or more generally, I'm also curious what tristar competitors fit in the overhead of a crj. I think a Patagonia MLC would fit. Do the various 22x14x9 soft sided bags fit?
Part of the problem with wheeled luggage is that the manufacturers often give the dimensions that do NOT include the wheels and handles - as if those parts don't "count" somehow. So, when it comes time to jam it into the overhead bin, your luggage is suddenly larger than you expect.

I would imagine that if my fully loaded Tristar will fit into a small CRJ overhead bin, then so too will the Motherlode and the MLC. The key is that they are soft sided and MUCH more pliable for fitting into the bin. But more importantly, they don't have the rigid wheels and handle skeleton that just won't budge. Again, if you really need wheels - and you're forced regularly to take a leg that includes a CRJ - then the largest wheeled bag that will fit into a CRJ overhead bin is the B&R. There may be others, but I know for a fact that the B&R fits snug as a bug, wheels and all, and even an inch larger would not fit.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
Part of the problem with wheeled luggage is that the manufacturers often give the dimensions that do NOT include the wheels and handles - as if those parts don't "count" somehow. So, when it comes time to jam it into the overhead bin, your luggage is suddenly larger than you expect.

I would imagine that if my fully loaded Tristar will fit into a small CRJ overhead bin, then so too will the Motherlode and the MLC. The key is that they are soft sided and MUCH more pliable for fitting into the bin. But more importantly, they don't have the rigid wheels and handle skeleton that just won't budge. Again, if you really need wheels - and you're forced regularly to take a leg that includes a CRJ - then the largest wheeled bag that will fit into a CRJ overhead bin is the B&R. There may be others, but I know for a fact that the B&R fits snug as a bug, wheels and all, and even an inch larger would not fit.
I realize that most wheeled luggage doesn't fit - both because of the rigidity of the frame and the misleading size (wheels, handles, etc...) But do all unframed, unwheeled legal carry ons fit in the crj overhead?

Or put another way, anyone have much experience with 22x14x9 wheel-less carry ons fitting in the small crj overheads?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I realize that most wheeled luggage doesn't fit - both because of the rigidity of the frame and the misleading size (wheels, handles, etc...) But do all unframed, unwheeled legal carry ons fit in the crj overhead?

Or put another way, anyone have much experience with 22x14x9 wheel-less carry ons fitting in the small crj overheads?
Tristar is 19x13x8. It fits snug when packed to a "bulge" in a CRJ. Hth.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:32 pm

Tristar is 19x13x8. It fits snug when packed to a "bulge" in a CRJ. Hth.
It does. Is the limiting factor the 8" or the 13" or does it barely fit both? I'm guessing it goes in sideways, so the long dimension isn't the limit.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:40 pm

Maybe I missed it before, but this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...imensions.html
has this:
Code:
25                   DCI OVERHEAD DIMENSIONS                    
26   -------------------------------------------------------    
27   AT7      42L X 8W X 14H                                    
28   CR7      43L X 16W X 8H                                    
29   CRJ      43L X 16W X 8H                                    
30   EM2      31L X 16W X 8H                                    
31   RJ9      42L X 12W X 12H                                   
32   ERJ      63L X 20W X 9H                                    
33   ER3      63L X 20W X 9H                                    
34   E70      24L X 16W X 10H                                   
35   ---------------------------- REVISED/20AUG07/ATLHGDL/AH
So I'm guessing that a 22x14x9 would fit as long as it wasn't packed to full and could compress some to become slimmer.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:46 pm

Yep, it's the 8-9" that is the critical number. Thicker than that might not fit through the bin opening.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
OP Here. Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful insight and recommendations; and my apologies for not responding sooner.

I've been doing a lot of research on bags based upon the comments posted here, and one duffel that was not mentioned but has caught my attention is the Tumi McGuire, with dimensions of 9" x 21" x 10.5" (1985 volume). My biggest concern is with the 9" height (as the bin is measured at 8"); but the previous duffel I was using was 10" and was able to squeeze into the bin. I really like the large single compartment.

The B&R TUC115 that was suggested by thegasguru is interesting; I wasn't originally looking at a wheeled bag, but I am planning on stopping a luggage store this week to take a look at it. Based on the recommendation of the Tristar + B&R, I'm nervous about the capacity of the bag and I'm not really interested in carrying (and purchasing) two bags.

I was incorrect about the Tristar not being cube friendly; but I've pretty much ruled that bag out. I really don't want a compartmentalized bag, and to be honest I'm not a big fan of the way it looks.

The Patagonia MLC that oshelef mentioned also looks promising (The bag, not the wheelie) as it is 20.5" x 13.5" x 7", and I'm planning on going to investigate this one in person as well.

I did order a small RedOxx Aviator, for $35 I thought it was worth the price and I need a new compressible duffel to travel with on long trips for souvenirs anyway. I think I want a bag with a should strap though, so once I get it I will look into having hooks added for a strap.

Anyway, I'll let you all know how my in-person investigation goes this week, but thanks again for everyone's help. If there's any further suggestions or something I'm missing, please let me know!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by roder
OP Here. Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful insight and recommendations; and my apologies for not responding sooner.

I've been doing a lot of research on bags based upon the comments posted here, and one duffel that was not mentioned but has caught my attention is the Tumi McGuire, with dimensions of 9" x 21" x 10.5" (1985 volume). My biggest concern is with the 9" height (as the bin is measured at 8"); but the previous duffel I was using was 10" and was able to squeeze into the bin. I really like the large single compartment.

The B&R TUC115 that was suggested by thegasguru is interesting; I wasn't originally looking at a wheeled bag, but I am planning on stopping a luggage store this week to take a look at it. Based on the recommendation of the Tristar + B&R, I'm nervous about the capacity of the bag and I'm not really interested in carrying (and purchasing) two bags.

I was incorrect about the Tristar not being cube friendly; but I've pretty much ruled that bag out. I really don't want a compartmentalized bag, and to be honest I'm not a big fan of the way it looks.

The Patagonia MLC that oshelef mentioned also looks promising (The bag, not the wheelie) as it is 20.5" x 13.5" x 7", and I'm planning on going to investigate this one in person as well.

I did order a small RedOxx Aviator, for $35 I thought it was worth the price and I need a new compressible duffel to travel with on long trips for souvenirs anyway. I think I want a bag with a should strap though, so once I get it I will look into having hooks added for a strap.

Anyway, I'll let you all know how my in-person investigation goes this week, but thanks again for everyone's help. If there's any further suggestions or something I'm missing, please let me know!
The Patagonia MLC is an excellent bag if you want just a single compartment. I personally prefer organizing by compartment, but I totally get that this is a very personal preference. In fact, I also have the Red Oxx Skytrain for when I want a less compartmentalized bag.

The dimensions of the MLC are excellent for CRJ overhead bin storage. And like all non-wheeled soft sided bags, you can pack WAY more into those than their wheeled alternatives. And I have to caution anyone following this thread: the B&R that I'm fond of isn't really big enough for "one bag" travel. I have switched to what I like to think of as "hybrid" one bag travel system, that involves 2 bags: the B&R + a non-wheeled soft sided bag (Tristar, Airboss, Skytrain, MLC, Weekender...whichever). I put the non-wheel bag on top of the B&R, and now I have wheels, most of the advantages of "one bag" travel (primarily that I never have to check luggage, not even a gate check), but I get to skip the biggest disadvantage of one-bag travel, namely the sore shoulder from the heavy bag.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:05 pm

the B&R + a non-wheeled soft sided bag
This makes lots of sense except that when I split bags up at my destination (e.g. leaving one wherever I'm staying) I never want a wheeled bag for the bag I use at my destination. Though if you are someone who does, or for whom a wheeled briefcase works, I see the appeal. Though I wonder how much longer (or how broadly now) the wheeled briefcase gets considered a briefcase/personal item and not a carry on.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have a Tristar and a Red Oxx Skytrain. The main difference is that the Skytrain really isn't compartmentalized. So if the compartments are what you don't like about the Tristar, you might look at the Skytrain. Great bag, great warranty.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'm a big fan of Red Oxx generally. How about one of their duffels? The Sun Chaser sounds like it might be good for your needs. The Flying Boxcar might as well. The Safari Benos line might be a bit slim for cubes - they are more for people who fold/roll and stuff/layer.

The Air Boss can probably take a cube on each side, if that is how you want to pack. SkyTrain is probably better for what you are looking for, however.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have a Tristar and a Red Oxx Skytrain. The main difference is that the Skytrain really isn't compartmentalized. So if the compartments are what you don't like about the Tristar, you might look at the Skytrain. Great bag, great warranty.
Yeah. The SkyTrain is probably more conducive to using packing cubes, with the larger compartment.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:45 pm

Though I wonder how much longer (or how broadly now) the wheeled briefcase gets considered a briefcase/personal item and not a carry on.
That is simply a matter of whether it fits under the seat in front of you. And maybe of weight restrictions as pertaining to the sum of your cabin luggage.

Till
Old May 1, 2012, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
That is simply a matter of whether it fits under the seat in front of you. And maybe of weight restrictions as pertaining to the sum of your cabin luggage.

Till
Not quite true. I can't find the link to the list I saw it on, but here is an example:
http://www.aircanada.com/us/en/trave..._services.html

I bet plenty of rolling briefcases are more than 6 inches deep.
Old May 5, 2012, 1:58 pm
GRD

Programs: DL MM, AA Plt, WN
For working with packing cubes, I recommend the Eagle Creek No Matter What duffels. I have the small and medium. Why I like them is their base is 12" wide. So even in the small, which has a 12" x 18" base, I can fit their 18" packing folder. I use the 18" packing folder for dress shirts. I put it in the duffel first, then stack in cubes, shoes, etc. Of course, If I am not bringing dress shirts and don't use the packing folder, the cubes still fit very nicely. The duffels are light, tough, and if not jammed completely full, fit easily in the CRJ overhead. The medium not jammed full will easily carry a week's worth of clothes.

The only drawback is because of the wide base, especially when using a packing folder that is fairly rigid in the bottom, the shape can be a bit awkward. My preference if I am going to be doing a lot of walking with my bag is to use a more vertical format (like the Red Oxx Air Boss). But when I'm not going to be doing a lot of waking with my bag, the duffel is my choice just because it is so easy to load and unload.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:59 pm

Is this type of bag (shape and dimensions) acceptable as a personal item, as long as it isn't overstuffed?

Also, is it too large to fit underneath the seat or in the overhead bin of an Embraer 120 Brasilia?

I checked the UA website, but didn't find their maximum dimensions for the Personal Item.

AA is 36 linear inches, and BA is 40 linear inches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.