Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How to get ambien?

How to get ambien?

Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL HH
How to get ambien?

So I like many on this site have lots of time on my hands late at night on giant flying metal tubes. I know a lot of people really like ambien for flights... How do I go about asking my doctor for a RX for ambien for travel purposes? Will a reputable doctor give ambien purely for jet lag?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by crux
So I like many on this site have lots of time on my hands late at night on giant flying metal tubes. I know a lot of people really like ambien for flights... How do I go about asking my doctor for a RX for ambien for travel purposes? Will a reputable doctor give ambien purely for jet lag?
Yup, pretty much.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Yes. My doctor gives it to me for cruises as I am trapped in the cabin with my wife who has been known to snore like a freight train.

By the way we are going to Europe next year. Two of the legs will be long enough that she will no doubt sleep during them. If you find yourself on these flights, I will share the sleeping pills with the entire cabin.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:44 pm
iff

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Yes. My doctor gives it to me for cruises as I am trapped in the cabin with my wife who has been known to snore like a freight train.
Has your wife had a sleep study? If not, she should strongly consider it to help eliminate snoring and rule out sleep apnea (which many people don't realize can have serious health consequences if left untreated).

Originally Posted by crux
How do I go about asking my doctor for a RX for ambien for travel purposes? Will a reputable doctor give ambien purely for jet lag?
Sure, just tell him why you're asking. Do avoid buying it via the internet as you have no way to tell what's really in those pills.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
I would simply put in a call to your regular Dr, ask the nurse to have the Doc call in a script for Ambien as you're taking a long flight soon. Most of the time, they'll just do it and you don't have to worry about co-pay/visit. I get my travel supplies of Ambien and Xanax this way. Note: make sure they prescribe the generic version or at least allow the pharmacist to fill generically. Once a Dr. signed the scrip "no substitution" and I wound up paying a fortune. Wonder if he got a kick-back.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:14 am

If you've never taken them before take one at home so you know what the effects are going to be. It's good and it works but it does have some odd side-effects especially amnesia.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL HH
Thanks for the replies all!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:36 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Ask your doctor about Lunesta, instead. Almost no hangover, and lower common side effects.

Get the 3mg size, and cut them in half, if you need about five hours of sleep (YMMV).

Unfortunately under most medical plan formularies, it is much more expensive.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Ask your doctor about Lunesta, instead. Almost no hangover, and lower common side effects.
Same for Xanax, which is what I use.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by valve bouncer
If you've never taken them before take one at home so you know what the effects are going to be. It's good and it works but it does have some odd side-effects especially amnesia.
Amnesia! Did I or didn't I take that cruise? Let me check. Ok, the trip report is still there, so I must have. I need to remember to read that package insert. Or wait, maybe I did already. I don't remember or do I.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 4:33 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Except the metallic aftertaste that lasts all day.

One plus for zolpidem (Ambien) is that it lasts a few hours less than Lunesta. Lunesta (or Ambien CR) is a bad choice for a flight of less than eight hours or so.

Zaleplon (Sonata) is actually great for travel, as it lasts just a few hours, so taking it on a US redeye is not a dangerous thing.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Your Dr. should have a stash of free samples he/she can give you.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:00 pm

most docs will give a few ambien........try the ambien cr
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:28 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
[QUOTE=ralfp;10786693]Except the metallic aftertaste that lasts all day.

One plus for zolpidem (Ambien) is that it lasts a few hours less than Lunesta. Lunesta (or Ambien CR) is a bad choice for a flight of less than eight hours or so.
QUOTE]

I've had little problem with the metallic taste. It's only noticeable when I cut one in half. For me, coffee seems to make it go away.

As to taking a Lunesta on a flight, I've woken up four hours into a 1.5mg dose due to turbulence, got up and used the lavatory, sat back down and was asleep in a minute. Ninety minutes later I woke up pretty refreshed. A cup of coffee later, and I felt great.

I've taken Ambien, I've taken Ambien CR, I've taken Benedryl, I've taken Rozerem.... Nothing works like Lunesta. But again, YMMV.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just buy these from countries where you don't need a prescription at all. Just walk to the pharmacy and tell what you would like to buy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.