FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Where to buy Luggage Lock in NYC? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1336912-where-buy-luggage-lock-nyc.html)

Keyboard90210 Apr 17, 2012 11:55 am

Where to buy Luggage Lock in NYC?

Got my luggage today and need to get a luggage lock. Does anyone here have recommendations? I went to century 21 last time and saw they had some but those look very cheap... by cheap i mean the quality and the brand though i dont remember the name of it. I see a few nice ones on amazon but i obviously cannot get these since its way too late. Also how many locks do you guys usually put on your checked bag? Do you put a lock on every single one or just the important ones?

Also, do you guys recommend the number lock or the key lock?

HMPS Apr 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Keyboard90210 (Post 18410483)
Got my luggage today and need to get a luggage lock. Does anyone here have recommendations? I went to century 21 last time and saw they had some but those look very cheap... by cheap i mean the quality and the brand though i dont remember the name of it. I see a few nice ones on amazon but i obviously cannot get these since its way too late. Also how many locks do you guys usually put on your checked bag? Do you put a lock on every single one or just the important ones?

If you have to use locks, make sure they are TSA compliant. Available many stores, Google it.

I don't have faith in luggage locks. The pros who steal know how to get around them easily, fast. Seen the demo how you can open zippers with a simple ball point pen ?

I just use the simple plastic ties available by bunch. Does not stop a thief, but lets you know it was opened.

Keyboard90210 Apr 17, 2012 12:35 pm

So you are saying its pointless buying a lock?

HMPS Apr 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Keyboard90210 (Post 18410749)
So you are saying its pointless buying a lock?

Yes, as I said the pros know how to work them. I am sure you can find videos on You Tube.

Keyboard90210 Apr 17, 2012 12:57 pm

but isnt a lock good in that it can prevent the zippers from opening like if TSA throws it around?

cordelli Apr 17, 2012 1:41 pm

The lock won't keep the zippers closed anymore than a pipe cleaner would do it.

There are hardware stores all over the city that may carry the luggage locks, any of the luggage shops, Kmart at Penn Station has them, etc.

HMPS Apr 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 18411249)
The lock won't keep the zippers closed anymore than a pipe cleaner would do it.

There are hardware stores all over the city that may carry the luggage locks, any of the luggage shops, Kmart at Penn Station has them, etc.

OK try this on YOUTUBE.com...watch it is a locked bag..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

Now try that at home !

Huck Apr 18, 2012 8:39 am

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 18410525)

I just use the simple plastic ties available by bunch. Does not stop a thief, but lets you know it was opened.

Question then: does the TSA then replace these ties normally when they open the bag?
I ask not only because the ties are a good visual cue when you see your bag, but because a TSA agent obviously put some on my Travelpro bag whose zipper tabs that had fallen off & were a pain to open.

squatch Apr 18, 2012 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Keyboard90210 (Post 18410483)

Also, do you guys recommend the number lock or the key lock?

i've seen luggage locks for sale at duane reade. there's one on just about every street corner in manhattan.

i'll not join the 'luggage locks are BS' fight. i use them because they provide a 10 second deterrent to just unzipping my bag and they prevent the zipper from unexpectedly opening during handling. for me, this is worth the $5 for the lock.

Megn Apr 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Huck (Post 18415844)
Question then: does the TSA then replace these ties normally when they open the bag?
I ask not only because the ties are a good visual cue when you see your bag, but because a TSA agent obviously put some on my Travelpro bag whose zipper tabs that had fallen off & were a pain to open.

Replacing is variable, but I buy colored ties. Even if TSA does replace, they don't normally have purple.

oshelef Apr 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Megn (Post 18418967)
Replacing is variable, but I buy colored ties. Even if TSA does replace, they don't normally have purple.

I think the OP is concerned that the bag would open during handling. In that sense a luggage lock would stop accidental opening, but an unreplaced tie wouldn't.

That said, I'm not sure I see the point in either.

Travelpro Luggage Apr 20, 2012 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Huck (Post 18415844)

If you need new new zipper tabs, just call Travelpro Customer Service at (800) 741-7471.

They will send you new ones at no charge.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro International