Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Broken Handle on Carryon Roller Case

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, HH
Advice for Broken Handle on Carryon Roller Case

A screw was lose near the top of the handle on my roller-carry on bag, where the handlebar joins the adjustable 'sticks'-part of the handle... to put it in rather unprofessional terms! But this mean little screw popped out one day after I'd been rolling around town and only noticed a while later.

When I got to work, I found amongst the fixit kit a screw that was the same size, so I screwed that back in as a replacement. Good as new! ...or so I thought... The handle seemed a little stiff, but I gave that up as being something to do with a nice new screw that wasn't lose anymore.

Pushed the handle in and went about my daily business (it sat under my desk all day, you know what I mean). So it wasn't until after all this when, at home time, I discovered that the handle won't extend up again. Just carried it to the station, but kinda beats the purpose of a bag-on-wheels.

What's the best way to fix this sort of thing? Tug and pull and tug and pull and wiggle it free? I don't believe anything's jammed, though not really sure (certainly not the screw, that I do know). How fixable are handles on roller-cases? Where can one buy a spare 'handle-kit' so as to pull out the old one and replace it, without replacing the whole bag itself? Can you?

No, it's not a fancy bag with warranty or anything. But it's fairly new and hardly gets used. Ought I just to buy a new one? I like these things for inter-state trips. (First world problems, hey! )

Any suggestions and helpful tips would be much appreciated.

(Am I making sense? Let me know if I should elaborate on this with better descriptions of the problem and a picture?)
Old May 13, 2013, 1:15 pm

If you ever get to the US or don't mind paying duty (or can find an FTer doing the trip) Check out http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/ Lots of luggage parts!
Old May 17, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Remove the subject screw and if the handle again extends the screw while it fit was perhaps too long?
Old May 18, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: http://thehikehouse.com
If your luggage is fairly new, it may still be covered by the manufacturer. In addition, if your luggage handle breaks, try contacting the manufacturer to see if they can provide you a replacement handle for no additional cost. Many companies will do this if they provide a guarantee on their product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.