Wiki Posts
Search

Any suggestions for a travel steamer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Any suggestions for a travel steamer?

I did a search but only found a few references.

Anyone here have a steamer they'd suggest or avoid?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:44 pm

Many steam irons have a function that turns them into steamers. There is a good chance that this will be the case with an iron your hotel or hosts can provide for you. In this sense, a steamer is not even needed.

Till
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: Platinum
We got a Rowenta Travel Steamer a long time ago as a gift. It squirts out steam, but I felt it was easier to stick my suit in the bathroom and turn the hot water in the shower. It did spot steaming, but I don't think it's worth the weight and bulk.

Till is right (as usual) . Turn the iron on "wool", then steam.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:42 am

Thanks, Frank!

Which brings me to think, that there are also quite a few irons that have a "power steam" feature. Those mostly have two buttons on the handle. One is the "spritzer" to squirt water on your clothes. Works with particularly stubborn things like shirt sleeve creases or trouser pleats. The other button emits a powerful burst of steam. Between five and ten well placed steam bursts on a suit and it should look fresh again. Don't forget to do the trousers. These usually get wrinkled more than the jacket.

Till
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, SPG
I use the Travel Smart by Conair MicroPro Garment Steamer:
http://www.aceluggage.com/menu/produ...eamer-414.html

I've used it to steam everything, from suits to my wedding dress. Perfect size for travelling.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by tfar
Which brings me to think, that there are also quite a few irons that have a "power steam" feature. Those mostly have two buttons on the handle. One is the "spritzer" to squirt water on your clothes. Works with particularly stubborn things like shirt sleeve creases or trouser pleats. The other button emits a powerful burst of steam. Between five and ten well placed steam bursts on a suit and it should look fresh again. Don't forget to do the trousers. These usually get wrinkled more than the jacket.
But remember to keep the thermostat set to wool/low!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:29 am

Mostly, remember not to iron clothes while wearing them.

No kidding, when I bought my iron there was a warning sticker with that advice. WOW!

Till
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Just starting to plan a several week trip that will include a cruise. I know that most cruise lines won't allow irons on board, but I started wondering about a steamer. The cruise line is Celebrity. So I phoned them: Irons are a definite no, but they said a steamer is permitted.

Did a little searching and found these on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Conair-400-Wat...m_cr_pr_sims_t
http://www.amazon.com/Ingenious-Desi...g_bs_3737831_1

Any comments?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Jiffy Esteam travel steamer. It's also great to freshenng up suits and slacks at home. I already travel with one.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, United
No kidding on the temp.

My hotel room last week had an Iron shaped design on the carpet from where the iron had obviously been dropped. Irons are very hot!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:11 am

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Arrow Steam Fast

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
Jiffy Esteam travel steamer. It's also great to freshenng up suits and slacks at home. I already travel with one.
I use the Steam Fast: http://www.amazon.com/SteamFast-SF-4...travel+steamer

A bit less than half the cost of the Jiffy. Haven't used the Jiffy Esteam (but have used Jiffy's home models-they are great!); however, the Jiffy is 600 watts, while the Steam Fast is 800 watts. Jiffy comes in 120v, 220v, and 120v with converters; Steam Fast is (as far as I know) only available in 120v, but I use a heavy duty converter without issue.

I do wish it was smaller as it does take up a lot of room in a carry on.

One trick: hang a garment on a hanger, and clip a dress hanger to the bottom of the garment to make it taught for more effective steaming. You can also use an ironing board (vertically) as a backboard for more effective steaming.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I'd like someone to make a plastic garment bag with a hose and something that can make steam. Someday, I might try to jury rig it. If the steam generating device can boil water, all the better.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:25 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I did a search but only found a few references.

Anyone here have a steamer they'd suggest or avoid?
Good, effective, lightweight, small: http://www.amazon.com/Accessories-Am...uckduckgo-d-20
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I used to tote around a tiny travel iron but gave that up years ago. If I'm worried about wrinkles now, which is seldom, I take an empty small spray bottle. Fill with water, hang clothing on a hanger, lightly spritz the item, shake for 15 seconds, then let air dry. I would never ever take an iron or steamer on a cruise, they x-ray all incoming luggage and confiscate them for the duration of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.