Reload this Page >

Laptop/iPad/Travel stuff backpack

Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

Hi All,
Currently for my 'personal item' carry-on I used a Booq Mamba Shift backpack. I like that is has its own compartment for my 15" MacBook Pro, a pocket in the main compartment for my iPad, and plenty of pockets/space for me to pack in my carry-on items such as glasses, eye mask, Bose headsets, my little travel/med kit. It also came with a small pouch that is perfect size for my 4 port travel USB charger, MacBook airline adapter, slim HDMI cable, iPad->HDMI adapter, and charging cables.

Now though, I'm thinking of buying a new bag. I was looking at Booq again and like their Boa Flow as it has a specifc pocket that I could use for my Canon DSLR. I rarely take it with me currently because it doesn't fit in my backpack easily and I don't want to have to check any bags. The Boa is pretty temping. Anyone tried it? Any feedback?
http://www.booqbags.com/us/backpacks/boa-flow/BFXL-BLR

Any other good backpacks out there than can take a MacBook Pro 15" retina, iPad 3, Canon DSLR with 18-55 & 75-300 lenses, chargers for all, Bose headsets, and miscellaneous other travel items?

I think I'll take a pick of what all I pack in mine and see if that helps any.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:38 pm

Personally, I like the Tom Bihn Synapse. Be aware that you'd want to add your own sleeves and slr padded insert.

It holds a lot more than the size would suggest. I have shoved an 11" MBA, Nikon d3100 SLR, two lenses, Kindle Keyboard, small thermos, chargers, plus enough toiletries and clothes for 3-4 days (short person). And then some. Looking at your picture and adding the SLR + lenses, I'm pretty sure I could get all of that to fit in the Synapse.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
The Tom Bihn is nice. I've also heard good things about Timbuk2. Might want to check them out.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:33 am

Almost all of my camera bags are from Think Tank Photo. You might consider their Urban Disguise line

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...-disguise.aspx

Regards, Peter
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
Sorry, just re-read my post. A bit lengthy, but I've tried to give a full account of my experience with the bag!

I've had a BoaFlow XL for just over 2 years and I love it. I got it in order to carry my DSLR (Nikon D300s with grip) on business trips (Europe to Europe and to the US/LatinAmerica), so the requirement was that it had to fit a good amount of camera gear with space for all the work [crap] I have to lug around as well.
I normally use a rollaboard for clothes, etc. and a briefcase for laptop, ipad, work papers, etc. etc. but there just isn't room to carry anything else in that, and it wouldn't offer much protection for a camera anyway. I found the book online and ordered it immediately, from the photos and specs it seemed like it just had to fit the requirement.
On a typical trip when I take it, I'll have the camera with grip and a 50mm lens (with hood and a filter of some sort) in the pocket at the bottom of the bag (grip first, lens up), sometimes in a wrap, but more recently on its own. Work laptop (a Dell e4300) goes in the slot in the back alongside my notepad (A4 size moleskine style), if travel is non-work my non-Retina macbook pro 15" sits in there just fine. Other lenses - 70-300 and/or 18-200 and/or 300 F4 (in wraps or in betashell cases) go in the main part of the bag alongside a flash, chargers, flashlights, cables work papers (they fit into a divider at the back of the main section) and stuff, filters, other bits and pieces go into other small pockets inside the main area. iPad or Kindle in waterfield cases go into the pouch inside the front of the main compartment. I can normally fit a fleece or waterproof, and/or a change of shirt/underwear in there as well. The zipped compartment on the front of the bag takes iPod, earphones (in-ear, a lot smaller than Bose QC), amp, wallet, pens, keys, and any other odds and sods. There is a small neoprene pouch on top of the front exterior pocket takes passport and boarding passes (folded). The side pockets take glasses, sunglasses, more pens, loose change that I won't need in a hurry, if I'm taking it the shutter remote for the camera. These two pouches are mainly neoprene, but there is a section of cordura in the middle which means it doesn't all stretch, and I have yet to fit a water bottle or similar into it. With all o that in it the bag weighs a figurative ton, I guess 7kg to 8kg but it feels fine on the back using two straps, a single strap is fine for short distances, but after a while you can feel it cutting into your shoulder. It is fine for getting through airports, fits just fine into the overhead. I try never to put it under the seat in front of me unless there is an empty middle seat. It just about fits, but no way your feet/legs are going under the seat with that bag. Without all the work stuff it is fine, if a bit big for a daybag around town, but good if you're heading into the mountains or something like that. There is no tripod attachment, which is a bit of a drag; I have another camera bag that does have one, so if a tripod is a must I use that or just carry it in a separate bag.
When I get to my destination I offload all the camera gear in the hotel, and use the bag to go to meetings - office/corporate HQ type locations. It is a bit big for that, but looks non-technical enough not to be out of place.
As I said, I've had it for 2 years or so, it must have done close to 200k miles with me and no complaints, no tears, rips, damage. I am in search of the holy grail bag for this sort of load (mixed camera/everyday stuff), but have yet to find it. There is a new Booq python pack that looks quite interesting, and the new, large Kata 3n1 is also on the list to have a long hard look at. Less camera orientated, I like the GoRuck GR1, it seems huge inside, so with judicious use of other pouches and wraps it could be an option, albeit without the quick-access pocket for the camera.
Best of luck with it.
RP
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I use the Skooba Cable Stable DLX for all cables and chargers with a Targus 16" checkpoint friendly backpack. The nice part is the only thing I remove is my liquids for security. I have been using these for 2yrs now and it has been great. Just returned from EU with cables, macbook, ipad and toiletries, phones, bose headset, passport, keys etc....
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks RichP,
I went ahead and ordered the Boa Flow from Amazon since they have a 30 day return policy on it and I could get the 2-day shipping on it with my Prime membership.

I looked at the Urban Disguise but I really like the shape of a backpack vs the rectangular laptop bag.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:54 am

Another vote here for the TB synapse. I just love the bag as a day bag and it's large enough to carry tech stuff and other things like water, wallet, etc... The compartments help organize so you don't have to rearrange things each time you want to access something.

I carry two iPads, Nikon DSLR, wallet, two water bottles, and other small knick knacks.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:35 pm

Love the picture of your stuff.

Mark
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by mikelat
Hi All,
Currently for my 'personal item' carry-on I used a Booq Mamba Shift backpack. I like that is has its own compartment for my 15" MacBook Pro, a pocket in the main compartment for my iPad, and plenty of pockets/space for me to pack in my carry-on items such as glasses, eye mask, Bose headsets, my little travel/med kit. It also came with a small pouch that is perfect size for my 4 port travel USB charger, MacBook airline adapter, slim HDMI cable, iPad->HDMI adapter, and charging cables.

Now though, I'm thinking of buying a new bag. I was looking at Booq again and like their Boa Flow as it has a specifc pocket that I could use for my Canon DSLR. I rarely take it with me currently because it doesn't fit in my backpack easily and I don't want to have to check any bags. The Boa is pretty temping. Anyone tried it? Any feedback?
http://www.booqbags.com/us/backpacks/boa-flow/BFXL-BLR

Any other good backpacks out there than can take a MacBook Pro 15" retina, iPad 3, Canon DSLR with 18-55 & 75-300 lenses, chargers for all, Bose headsets, and miscellaneous other travel items?

I think I'll take a pick of what all I pack in mine and see if that helps any.
Holy Guacamole, Mike! Is that what you take on business trips, just so you don't get bored? If yes, tell me if there's an opening in your company! I'm an art historian but I am very flexible. Pay seems to be alright, too.

I could imagine having tons of fun with that kind of equipment/toys but it flies in the face of any light packing theorem if there ever was one.

Till
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Materdei
The Tom Bihn is nice. I've also heard good things about Timbuk2. Might want to check them out.
i've been using a Timbuk2 HAL for a couple of years. nice padded area for laptop/ipad, a bunch of pockets, and a GIANT main pouch. it's pretty light all by itself.

this is my 2-year-old model.

http://www.bgr.com/2010/04/02/bgrs-l...timbuk2-h-a-l/

the newer ones are similar

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/hal-backpack
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfar
Holy Guacamole, Mike! Is that what you take on business trips, just so you don't get bored? If yes, tell me if there's an opening in your company! I'm an art historian but I am very flexible. Pay seems to be alright, too.

I could imagine having tons of fun with that kind of equipment/toys but it flies in the face of any light packing theorem if there ever was one.

Till
Oh no, I fly mostly for personal trips. I maybe have one business trip a year. I use the iPad for movies in flight. The Macbook is easier to use for photo editing & blogging when I'm at my destination.

Btw, the Boa Flow XL is perfect for my needs. Plenty of pockets & organization and space to spare after loding everything up. Really like the separate DSLR pocket so now I can get back to taking my nice camera with me on trips.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Oh no, I fly mostly for personal trips. I maybe have one business trip a year. I use the iPad for movies in flight. The Macbook is easier to use for photo editing & blogging when I'm at my destination.

Btw, the Boa Flow XL is perfect for my needs. Plenty of pockets & organization and space to spare after loding everything up. Really like the separate DSLR pocket so now I can get back to taking my nice camera with me on trips.
Ah, alright! I'm very relieved now. For a moment there I thought this guy has the job of the century or absolutely no clue about light packing!

I have never had a Booq bag but always thought their designs were nifty.

Glad it works out for you. I was going to propose to look at Kata, Crumpler and Tenba, which you may still do just to see what else is out there. All three are smaller brands like Booq. But they are geared a bit more toward photo than laptop use.

Till
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: US Airways, Hilton, Marriott
I like the Mobile Edge Scanfast bags. You don't have to take your computer out at the security line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.