FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Leakproof travel bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1313145-leakproof-travel-bottles.html)

prmetime Feb 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Leakproof travel bottles

I have been looking for a product which will prevent thin liquids such as make up remover or mouthwash from leaking. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

SometimesFlyer Feb 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I use a bunch of mini nalgene bottles about 25-100ml in size. They can be found at most REIs. Sometimes I just grab them from the lab. Has never leaked on me.

Biblioman1 Feb 12, 2012 4:35 am

Originally Posted by prmetime (Post 17998045)
I have been looking for a product which will prevent thin liquids such as make up remover or mouthwash from leaking. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

GoTubes have been widely discussed here as a good leakproof product. Though they are quite pricey. In a case of unfortunate timing, if you'd posted earlier yesterday you'd have found out about an Amazon sale with some dramatic discounts. Looks like its over now, I'm sorry to say. Even at regular price they are still worthwhile in my opinion.

tcl Feb 12, 2012 7:41 am

Try doing a search for LDPE bottles. Results should show a few places that sell bottles in singles or bulk for packaging products. I use the oval ones or the Boston round with eyedropper top. If you're going with a plain screw top, don't forget to order the lid insert.

prmetime Feb 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Biblioman1 (Post 17998854)
GoTubes have been widely discussed here as a good leakproof product. Though they are quite pricey. In a case of unfortunate timing, if you'd posted earlier yesterday you'd have found out about an Amazon sale with some dramatic discounts. Looks like its over now, I'm sorry to say. Even at regular price they are still worthwhile in my opinion.

Biblioman1 - i was looking at the Gotoobs and users have said that Listerine and other thin liquids leak although perhaps not as badly. Not sure if that is worth the expense of this product. What have you tried using these with?

Baghoarder Feb 12, 2012 10:53 pm

I use GoToobs for viscous liquids like shampoo etc. They are worth the expense IMO - different sizes and colours, durable, easy to fill and clean etc. All the other alternatives I have tried seemto either crack over time or the thread goes on the screw top and they start to leak. For eye makeup remover (viscosity like water) I use a small, more rigid Sea to Summit bottle with the insert in the neck. I tested these before i used them by standing one upside down for two days with water in it and it didn't leak. That's good enough for me :)

Caveman357 Feb 27, 2012 12:04 pm

This is a good idea I found a while back.
http://www.travelite.org/?p=19

aschuett Feb 29, 2012 2:20 pm

I recently got some GoToobs and they are cool, but honestly I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. Turns out the best that I see out there right now are still the Nalgene cap-top bottles (see link below). They simply don't leak. They lack the huge opening for easier fill, however.

http://www.rei.com/product/402056/na...bottle-2-fl-oz

Megn Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm

My favorite for shampoo and conditioner are Pantene bottles from the travel-sized display. Large opening for refills, different shapes for that early morning shower, and they're already marked. :D Mine have been around the world, still look good, and have never leaked. I like the Jergens lotion bottle for the same reasons.

SometimesFlyer Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by aschuett (Post 18105578)
I recently got some GoToobs and they are cool, but honestly I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. Turns out the best that I see out there right now are still the Nalgene cap-top bottles (see link below). They simply don't leak. They lack the huge opening for easier fill, however.

http://www.rei.com/product/402056/na...bottle-2-fl-oz

Yup, these are exactly the same bottles we use in the lab. They don't leak and are fairly impervious to most liquids you can throw at it.

Buster Mar 1, 2012 11:51 am

Another vote here for the Nalgene bottles. I've entirely stopped buying travel sized products and now just decant my larger sized products into the Nalgene bottles.

AmberR108 Mar 1, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer (Post 18106877)
Yup, these are exactly the same bottles we use in the lab. They don't leak and are fairly impervious to most liquids you can throw at it.

Not to sound high-maintenance, but do you know if they're BPA free?

They look super handy but I'd want to use them for multiple purposes outside of shampoo, conditioner and face wash.

aschuett Mar 1, 2012 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by AmberR108 (Post 18111872)
Not to sound high-maintenance, but do you know if they're BPA free?

I can't find it when I need to, of course, but I do believe they are. If anyone finds any "proof," I agree it would be handy to post here.

Biblioman1 Mar 2, 2012 11:53 am

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer (Post 18106877)

Well I learned my lesson on GoToobs. Yes - easy to fill and proved leakproof on my lengthy trip, however, (and this may have been an obvious outcome to anyone else) the high end scotch I decanted into a few tasted like pure plastic when used. Very disappointing. Water from my large Nalgene bottles tastes fine, so I suppose smaller versions as you describe might have fit my needs better.

prmetime Mar 3, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions.