Leakproof travel bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leakproof travel bottles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Most lab supply stores will have a whole selection. Generally cheaper than REI too if you buy a doz at a time.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...arentcatid=654
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:16 am
Suspended

Hey...few days ago, i was also searching for the same. It is quite difficult to find such bottles which prevents thin liquids from leaking. I searched online about “leak resistent bottles” and i got favourable results for this. I think you should also try this.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:34 pm

Just wanted to echo what others have said. I have 3 gotoobs in various sizes and they work great for viscous liquids like shower gel, lotion, or antibacterial gel. They DO NOT WORK for less viscous liquids like water, drinks, or contact solution.

For me the only liquid I carry that is of that consistency is contact solution. What I've been doing is using the small travel-size solution you can get, but it's not easy to refill as the cap is not threaded (you have to pop it off with some force, requires a flathead screwdriver).

I'll try out one of those 2oz nalgene bottles, seems like a good solution. For stuff like hand lotion and shower gel I really like the gotoobs though. Also a good tip: fill a 3oz gotoob with woolite or tide for sink washing clothes.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by jmastron
Whatever bottle you use, squeeze it before putting the cap on; not so much that it permanently deforms, but enough that it's under negative internal pressure even when the cabin/hold pressure is lower at altitude. That's usually enough to make even the cheapo Target/Walmart bottles not leak.
+1
That's the secret of success, squeeze out the air.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
Recall that contact solution is package to be sterile. If done right you can refill cleanly into smaller bottles but I'm not sure i would use a general purpose bottle for contact solution.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
+1 to the Nalgene at Container Store suggestion. Tough, leak-proof, and under $1. What's not to like?

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...N=&Ntt=nalgene
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The GoToob product works well if the liquid is a higher viscosity. I looked at the Nalgene bottles at the Container Store previously. Those work well if you're using a low viscosity fluid but not high viscosity. You can squeeze the thing.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Once the top is popped, the contact lens solution probably has a much less chance of still being sterile. After refilling the bottle, probably even less so.

Now I'm sure there will be a dozen posts saying "I do it all the time and I never have a problem", but as I only have two eyes, I don't have problem paying the few dollars a travel size is, or picking up a larger size at my destination.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:01 pm

I recently discovered Gotoobs, and now use them for shampoo, shower gel etc. The trick for leak proof is to remove the air. So, in plastic bottles, I would open the top, squeeze the bottle to force the air out and then close the top (hence the sides "suck in"). It works 90% of the time. As for beverages, I have "vacuum sealed" wine bottles and liquor bottles so that if they do leak/break, the mess is contained within the thick mil bag. I pack glass/liquids sealed in this matter in the middle of my clothes to protect from breaking. It works really well.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Once the top is popped, the contact lens solution probably has a much less chance of still being sterile. After refilling the bottle, probably even less so.

Now I'm sure there will be a dozen posts saying "I do it all the time and I never have a problem", but as I only have two eyes, I don't have problem paying the few dollars a travel size is, or picking up a larger size at my destination.
Exactly right. It has NO chance of being sterile because you're not dispensing it into a sterile container. Also, I would want to know that the plastic wasn't going to leach anything harmful to the eye. I like my eyes and want a continuing relationship with them

Since you can buy smaller bottles of contact lens solution, it's a no-brainer to leave it in its original container. Besides, TSA generally treats it like prescription products. I put my 4 oz bottle into the tray next to my toiletries or leave it in my bag. Either way, no one has ever questioned it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:41 am

I've traveled multiple times with my Muji bottles/containers of various sizes and none have ever leaked.

Mine are filled with makeup remover, facial wash, moisturizer, toner etc.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Materdei
+1 to the Nalgene at Container Store suggestion. Tough, leak-proof, and under $1. What's not to like?

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...N=&Ntt=nalgene
Yup. Earlier this year I used a couple of these. They were of course also in ziplock to catch any leaks (I always do this with checked liquids) but they didn't leak.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:28 pm

I was in Wal-Mart today and picked up a 3oz GoGear travel tube for $2.77 each. These tubes are silicone and are similar to GoToob products except they have a flat base and can stand up on their own. They claim to be leak proof so I filled one with water and shook it vigorously and it didn't leak. On GoGear web site they show a 3 bottle set but the tube I got at Wal-Mart only came in a single 3 oz tube and in one color (the purplish color in the reviews). Other colors would be nice to visually tell the difference but you can write on the lid the contents but for $2.77 each it is no big deal.

Shak

http://twoboysonegirlandacrazymom.co...-tubes-review/

http://www.coolgearinc.com/go_gear_1330.html
Old Aug 4, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cordelli

Just to echo that sentiment - I am a healthy, 38 year old (reasonably) athletic male. I came within 12 hours of permanently losing sight in my right eye due to a reaction from bad saline solution. Yes, it can happen to you. I look at folks who reuse saline solution for more than a night and I cringe.

(I have since got Lasik and ended the whole 'contact lens solution' dilemma permanently, but - that's considerably more expensive than buying travel size saline solution.)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, Etihad Gold
Hi guys, new to the forum and only started travelling with work at the beginning of the year but have already racked up good numbers.

A question related to this thread if I may…..I am getting frustrated with using ziploc bags for my toiletries. I have come across the below. Has anyone ever tried them and if so are they any good? If not alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.securitywashbag.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.