Wiki Posts
Search

Samsonite.. what the hell?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Samsonite.. what the hell?

So I bought an expensive Samsonite suitcase about a year ago. I had had a good experience with a samsonite carry-on roller and figured that experience would transfer to a full-sized suitcase.

On the VERY first trip, the suitcase arrived with one of the four wheels broken off. (Thanks Delta!!)

Of course, the airline conveniently absolves itself of responsibility for damage to straps and wheels. I didn't force the issue because I had naively assumed Samsonite would take care of it.

Wrong. Their answer is to suggest that I ship the bag, at my own expense, to a Samsonite service center, and pay for a repair of the broken wheel. After spending hundreds on a suitcase that broke on the first trip, I wasn't going to dump another $75. So I said screw it. It's still got 3 wheels, I'll just balance it.

Yesterday I took the suitcase with me on its second trip. It arrived with YET ANOTHER broken wheel. (Thanks, Delta!) Now I'm down to two wheels and they are on the side of the suitcase, not the back or front.

This seems wrong. Seems like there ought to be something a guy can do. I tried to find samsonite parts online so I could attempt my own repair, but no luck.

I turn to FT. Thoughts?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If you have a travel insurance, you may be able to get the cost of repairs covered. Or, if you have a Samsonite store nearby, would they be able to take it in and send it off for repair for you?

It doesn't sound right that a wheel is getting ripped off every trip. Is Delta particularly rough with their baggage handling?

I did notice that Delta specifically displays at the baggage services counter that they do not take any responsibility for protruding parts such as handles or wheels, but their being an integral and important part of the luggage, it doesn't sound very fair and sounds like permitting themselves to use inappropriate or excessive force to handle bags, because it takes quite a lot of force to break those things.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Is yours one of the black label suitcases?

Read this thread for similar experiences: A word of warning on the Samsonite black label suitcases

I would think a nearby Samsonite store should be able to take care of the problems for you though.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Products Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
It should be a fairly easy job to replace the wheels.

On an older Samsonite case, one of the fasteners came off. After the repair facility charged me an arm-and-a-leg to fix it, I just bought the part off them the next time and replaced it in about 5-10 min.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:40 pm

Smile

Honestly, I just don't think Samsonite is what it used to be. I received a set as a gift and on the first trip I took it on, a wheel was torn off and the frame bent 6" into the case. I took it to a repair shop and they said that Samsonite had quit making that particular wheel and it couldn't be replaced. This was less than a year after the case had been purchased new.

Thinking it was bad luck, I replaced the case with another Samsonite, but of a higher quality. Again, first trip it was taken on, the frame was bent into the suitcase. Either someone is running over my suitcases with the luggage hauler or the frame is poorly constructed of a lightweight metal.

Depending on how much the repair would be, I might advise just cutting your losses and going with another brand.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
I do apologise if this sounds flippant but on first reading your post all I could think of was that song

"Three wheels on my wagon, and I'm still rollin' along
the Cherokees are after me but I'm singing a ha a appy song....."

Was it from Paint your Wagon or some film like that?

Being serious though I do hope your case problems get sorted.

Amanda
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. Dont take this the wrong way but there are brands that have, and as far as I know, honor warranties.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. Dont take this the wrong way but there are brands that have, and as far as I know, honor warranties.
Can you give me your recommendations?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by generaltao
Can you give me your recommendations?
There are a lot of users of Briggs and Riley here, including me. They have an unlimited lifetime warranty. Ive had one of their bags for probably 10 years and it is still going. Eagle Creek I believe also has an unlimited warranty as do Tom Bihn and Red Oxx I think. That last two dont have wheeled bags though. A quick search in these forums for those or just threads about "best rollaboard" and such will get you a lot of information. Good luck with it.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I have always had pretty good luck with Samsonite until my most recent bag.. Seems to be just crumbling...

Regardless, service should be easier to achieve and with less expense. I always take mine to the local outlet mall (Samsonite Store) and they take care of the process. I think the co pay is like 15.00 or so. I think you can have it shipped to the store or to your home. Just be prepared to be without it for a couple of weeks.

The nature of the damage on your bag... being that it was airline related and not normal wear may influence their decision..

If you do not have a Samsonite Store, try Dillards or other dealers..
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:47 pm

generaltao, sorry to hear about the mess. My way of action would be to call the service number again. Sometimes it just depends who you are talking to and if they have a good day. You can also ask to escalate the issue.

The argument is that if a customer buys a single piece of luggage for a few hundred dollars he can reasonably expect that piece to last for more than two trips. They might counter that their warranty simply doesn't include airline damage. You will then counter that their top-of-the line luggage can be expected to be constructed to such standards that it will withstand the rigors of air travel. You could mention the BBB to resolve the issue. Also ask them whether they think you will ever buy another piece of Samsonite luggage or recommend it to a friend. Finally, if that all doesn't help, tell them you have already addressed the issue on the most important FF forum on the net and hope to be able to post a positive solution to the problem.

If all that doesn't work with the first call, try another guy another day. Save the escalated version for the manager. The usual CSR won't follow your line of reasoning anymore, they are too sucked out, no attention span.

I almost bet that you will have success the first time around. I would demand a replacement, not a repair. This way you have room to negotiate downwards. It also saves face for them because they can argue that this was just a dud and it won't happen with the next one.

Hope this helps.

Till
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I I always take mine to the local outlet mall (Samsonite Store) and they take care of the process. I think the co pay is like 15.00 or so. I think you can have it shipped to the store or to your home. Just be prepared to be without it for a couple of weeks.

The nature of the damage on your bag... being that it was airline related and not normal wear may influence their decision..

If you do not have a Samsonite Store, try Dillards or other dealers..
I believe Samsonite is shutting down all of their factory stores. I think I might have read about it somewhere on FT, and I see that a couple of local ones (Boston area) are gone.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:16 pm

I wouldn't be too happy!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL, US, Starw Amex
Originally Posted by generaltao
So I bought an expensive Samsonite suitcase about a year ago. I had had a good experience with a samsonite carry-on roller and figured that experience would transfer to a full-sized suitcase.

On the VERY first trip, the suitcase arrived with one of the four wheels broken off. (Thanks Delta!!)

Of course, the airline conveniently absolves itself of responsibility for damage to straps and wheels. I didn't force the issue because I had naively assumed Samsonite would take care of it.

Wrong. Their answer is to suggest that I ship the bag, at my own expense, to a Samsonite service center, and pay for a repair of the broken wheel. After spending hundreds on a suitcase that broke on the first trip, I wasn't going to dump another $75. So I said screw it. It's still got 3 wheels, I'll just balance it.

Yesterday I took the suitcase with me on its second trip. It arrived with YET ANOTHER broken wheel. (Thanks, Delta!) Now I'm down to two wheels and they are on the side of the suitcase, not the back or front.

This seems wrong. Seems like there ought to be something a guy can do. I tried to find samsonite parts online so I could attempt my own repair, but no luck.

I turn to FT. Thoughts?
If the bag is still sold by Samsonite, buy another one and return the old one. You're basically taking the warranty into your own hands. Or sue Samsonite in small claims if they don't replace or repair the bag under warranty. It should not be DL's fault -- the bag s/b designed to withstand use in the travel realm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.