Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Sign in using an external account
Register Calendars Flyertalk Wiki Today's Posts

Old Jan 17, 12, 1:25 pm   #1

Largest under-seat carry-on bag

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone know the maximum dimensions for typical domestic "under-seat/seat-side" carry-ons? The depth (distance from floor to underside of seat) and the width (distance from left leg of the seat to the right leg of the seat) are probably the most important dimensions.

I usually fly on a 737-700 (Southwest - company preferred), so it'd be nice not having to worry about finding an available seat that also has ample overhead compartment availability.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
newarkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 12, 2:39 pm   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkb View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone know the maximum dimensions for typical domestic "under-seat/seat-side" carry-ons? The depth (distance from floor to underside of seat) and the width (distance from left leg of the seat to the right leg of the seat) are probably the most important dimensions.

I usually fly on a 737-700 (Southwest - company preferred), so it'd be nice not having to worry about finding an available seat that also has ample overhead compartment availability.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
There were a few helpful replies in these previous threads:
-- Carry on tote/wheels that fits under seats?
-- Largest Rolling Laptop Bag for Underseat?
ninjastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 12, 4:59 pm   #3

I have a bag that is 17" x 12.5" x 7" and it feels like it's just about the maximum size that will work both under the seat and in the overhead bins of regional jets. If you're only going to be flying on Southwest 737s, you might be able to get away with a little more.
firstglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 12, 6:51 pm   #4

Thank you both ninjastyle and firstglobal for the links and real-world example, respectively.

After reading the above threads, I found this Southwest.com link detailing the under-seat dimensions (listed below).
The under-seat dimensions are as follows:
Window Seat: 19"L x 14"W x 8.25" H
Middle Seat: 19"L x 19"W x 8.25"H
Aisle Seat: 19"L x 14"W x 8.25" H

It seems like 8" is the max depth I should shoot for. I'm shooting for that middle seat too, look at the room under there!

It's weird hijacking my own thread, but I'm open to bag/backpack suggestions if anyone has any? I tend to carry a 15.6" laptop, projector (~11x8x3), a few days worth of clothes (~14x4x4), along with the various essentials (cables/chargers/basic toiletries/etc.). Given that I'll be flying quite often (at least once a week), I'm starting my search with TSA/Checkpoint-Friendly backpacks. I'll be testing out the ecogear Rhino II Laptop Backpack this week (18" x 12.5" x 7"; 2000 cu. in.); although if I could I'd prefer something with a little more volume.

Thank you.

EXTRA:
I took this opportunity to look up the maximum pet carrier sizes (which should be close to maximum under-seat dimensions) for the few other airlines that I fly, in hopes that others may find it useful.
US Airways
hard-sided carriers up to 17" long (43 cm) x 16" wide (40 cm) x 8" tall (20 cm)
soft-sided carriers up to 17" long (43 cm) X 16" wide (40 cm) X 10" tall (25 cm).
Frontier
Airbus A318/A319/A320: 24" length x 15. 5" width x 10" height.
Embraer E190: 18" length x 13.5" width x 10" height.
Embraer E135/E140/E145: 17" length x 12" width x 10" height.
Bombardier Q400: 17" length x 15.5" width x 12.4" height.
newarkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 12, 9:35 pm   #5

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Omni Platinum, Hertz 5*, NEXUS and GE
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstglobal View Post
I have a bag that is 17" x 12.5" x 7" and it feels like it's just about the maximum size that will work both under the seat and in the overhead bins of regional jets. If you're only going to be flying on Southwest 737s, you might be able to get away with a little more.
My Red Oxx Air Boss and Sky Train both fit, fully loaded, in RJ overheads - including both the ERJ-145 and CRJ-200. They are 21"L x 8"W x 13"H and 20"L x 9"W x 13"H, respectively
Old Jan 19, 12, 11:40 am   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
My Red Oxx Air Boss and Sky Train both fit, fully loaded, in RJ overheads - including both the ERJ-145 and CRJ-200. They are 21"L x 8"W x 13"H and 20"L x 9"W x 13"H, respectively
Glad to hear that there's a little more wiggle room with dimensions than I'd thought!

Do these fit under the seats of regional jets, though? My 17"L bag leaves me with a barely adequate amount of leg room when placed under the seat on an ERJ-145, and I'm not a super tall person. I've made tight connections and boarded when overhead bins were full, and gate-checking my bag is not an option.
firstglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 12, 12:32 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkb View Post
It's weird hijacking my own thread, but I'm open to bag/backpack suggestions if anyone has any? I tend to carry a 15.6" laptop, projector (~11x8x3), a few days worth of clothes (~14x4x4), along with the various essentials (cables/chargers/basic toiletries/etc.). Given that I'll be flying quite often (at least once a week), I'm starting my search with TSA/Checkpoint-Friendly backpacks. I'll be testing out the ecogear Rhino II Laptop Backpack this week (18" x 12.5" x 7"; 2000 cu. in.); although if I could I'd prefer something with a little more volume.
For what you are describing I personally use this Oakley backpack.(in black)

http://www.oakley.com/products/icon-...-3-0/92075-22H

Far and away the best bag I have ever had for flying with all of my gear and being able to fit it under the seat. I can fit 3 days of casual wear, my laptop and all the stuff that goes with it (including small projector), Bose headphones,3-1-1 bag, etc. Just the best backpack I have ever owned for when traveling exactly as you describe in your example.
DenverDano is offline   Reply With Quote