FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Contact Lens Solution for Carry-On (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1273750-contact-lens-solution-carry.html)

atlas_shrugged Oct 28, 2011 6:56 am

Contact Lens Solution for Carry-On

Hi All,

Quick question. I'm getting annoyed by having to throw away my contact lens solution (300 ml) bottle because it doesn't meet the 100 mL or less requirement for liquids. This is when I carry-on luggage, and not checked-in. I know that they have the smaller bottles of contact lens solution, but for my brand (Alcon Replenish), they seem to only come as a freebie when you buy the larger bottle.

I do most of my travel in Asia (especially domestic China). I do realize that in the USA, TSA allows you to bring contact lens solution above the 100 mL requirement as it qualifies as a medical supply. However, that doesn't apply here in China.

I am considering transferring my contact lens solution to a smaller bottle (100 mL). But am concerned that it will no longer be sterile. I would buy a premium bottle, of HDPE material. Have you done this, and would you be concerned?

Thanks!

texmanufan Oct 28, 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by atlas_shrugged (Post 17350386)
Hi All,

Quick question. I'm getting annoyed by having to throw away my contact lens solution (300 ml) bottle because it doesn't meet the 100 mL or less requirement for liquids. This is when I carry-on luggage, and not checked-in. I know that they have the smaller bottles of contact lens solution, but for my brand (Alcon Replenish), they seem to only come as a freebie when you buy the larger bottle.

I do most of my travel in Asia (especially domestic China). I do realize that in the USA, TSA allows you to bring contact lens solution above the 100 mL requirement as it qualifies as a medical supply. However, that doesn't apply here in China.

I am considering transferring my contact lens solution to a smaller bottle (100 mL). But am concerned that it will no longer be sterile. I would buy a premium bottle, of HDPE material. Have you done this, and would you be concerned?

Thanks!

Even if the larger size bottle was sterile, once you open it wouldn't be. I am pretty sure Replenish has a preservative. I would say that transferring only about what you would need for a trip to smaller bottle for a trip would be okay. Probably just call your Eyecare practitioner or contact Alcon.

wcj1 Oct 28, 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by atlas_shrugged (Post 17350386)
I know that they have the smaller bottles of contact lens solution, but for my brand (Alcon Replenish), they seem to only come as a freebie when you buy the larger bottle.

I see the 2 oz bottle for sale when searching Google Shopping. Walgreens is listed and when I search their website, the Walgreens local to me carry it in store. So maybe you can stock up in the States the next time you are here.

goodeats21 Oct 28, 2011 11:11 am

You could also try an eye care practitioner to see if they have sample sizes available. I typically get a bottle or two (small / travel size) when I pickup a supply of contacts. I save them for travel use...not at home.

Good luck.

cordelli Oct 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Your eye doctor can probably order you a case of the samples.

skipro3 Oct 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Delete

meibao Oct 29, 2011 6:23 am

I use disposable dailies when I travel so that I never have to worry about this

thesaint024 Oct 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by meibao (Post 17355529)
I use disposable dailies when I travel so that I never have to worry about this

I also keep a small stash of dailies as an option for short trips. For longer trips, or if you want to use your more than daily contacts, you can always refill the sample bottles of solution. The small bottle I use has a cap that seems permanently fixed but just pops off if you wedge something between the cap and bottle. I do this when I don't have any sample sizes handy from the optometrist.

atlas_shrugged Oct 31, 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by thesaint024 (Post 17362499)
I also keep a small stash of dailies as an option for short trips. For longer trips, or if you want to use your more than daily contacts, you can always refill the sample bottles of solution. The small bottle I use has a cap that seems permanently fixed but just pops off if you wedge something between the cap and bottle. I do this when I don't have any sample sizes handy from the optometrist.

Excellent idea. Thank you.