Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa Limbo vs. Salsa Deluxe? Or something completely different for 3 weeks travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Limbo vs. Salsa Deluxe? Or something completely different for 3 weeks travel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, AmEx Plat.

Hi everybody,

I am looking for a durable piece of checked baggage for 2-3 week travels (about 90 litres). It was hard to figure out the differences between all the manufacturers (all websites are horrible), I mainly focussed on Tumi and Rimowa - and at last I'm now deciding between the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Multiwheel Trolley 78 cm (92 litres) or the Rimowa Limbo Multiwheel Trolley 77 (95 litres). I fly mostly business, so weight restriction isn't too hard (32kg), but every kg saved counts anyway. I also do really care about the practical issues of luggage intererior (different compartments, etc.). I don't care that much for the price as long as it's long-lasting.

Main trade-off seems to be duability vs weight. The Salsa Deluxe is not really lightweight (5,2kg) but the Limbo has 6,4kg. Limbo seems to be more durable because of no zipper and protected edges. And the Limbo 77 misses the new USA restrictions (158 cm) by 4 cm - is this going to be a problem?

Does somebody have experience with these two pieces of luggage and give a recommendation? All sorts of experience welcome - also completely new ideas?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
I have a Rimowa Salsa and I love everything about it except the clam shell design (because of the problem pictured here). It only works good if you unpack all of your things when you get where you are going. If you want to live out of your suitcase, it sucks.

I prefer the Briggs & Riley top-opening, soft sided bags these days like this one. In the Rimowa price range you should really get something with an unlimited lifetime warranty anyway (like the Briggs).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Between the two, go with Salsa because of the lighter weight. For long trips you want to save as much weight as possible, either to pack more or buy more.

I have an over the size limit older Salsa I bought from Koffer24. No one seems to care on long haul between the US and Asia (when I use this sized bag). although I can't speak for Europe, where I hear they are more strict about baggage dimensions.

It's big, but doesn't look especially big to make any pull out a measuring tape.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:01 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Limbo = fixed clasps
Salsa = zips

Both are good. I'd go with a Limbo if you travel light, or a Salsa if you want more in it. That's about it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:28 am

Ory, I like your minimalist description, and while I agree with it, there is a bit more to each case than that.

1. Weight, a rather precious or expensive commodity in air travel today. Limbo= Slightly more weight.
2. Corner protection ( alu) with the Limbo,. One can add these caps to any Salsa case, outside of the normal purchase cost, and perhaps the warranty.
3. Note that some of the early Limbo modles have the X cross straps inside. Select a model with the velcro tension dividers, if purchasing either Salsa Deluxe or Limbo. A much better interior system, which actually prevents either case from overloading, and thus blowing out.
4. Handles: A large alu handle on the Limbo, versus the rubber/silicone only on the Salsa Deluxe. One a cold day here though, wear gloves.
5. Metal hinges: Limbo model only. Very well made.

In English, video reviews:

Limbo ( and a rather sensuous one at that )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMMVfh1qaTU

Salsa Deluxe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5rJP8xFXvw

We have a collection of Rimowa flight luggage accumulated since 1965, but we own neither of these products. If I had to choose between the two, it would be the Limbo model for the alu end caps, latch locks, hinge spine, and alu handle.

Heavier yes, but more protection included.

Last edited by Swissaire; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:37 am
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by RevJim
I have a Rimowa Salsa and I love everything about it except the clam shell design (because of the problem pictured here). It only works good if you unpack all of your things when you get where you are going. If you want to live out of your suitcase, it sucks.
Rotate the case and keep it open... the length of that table should accomodate the open-width

I like that for the same overall case depth, a clamshell gives you better access than digging through layers of an top-zip case
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by deniah
Rotate the case and keep it open... the length of that table should accomodate the open-width
You could do that, but if you prefer to lock your case when you leave the room you end up having to flop it open and closed all the time. In a suitcase that size, it's pretty inconvenient. It's not that uncommon for people to put things they don't want stolen (or seen) into a suitcase and lock the case.

It also means that each time you want to open or close the case, you have to put the divider back into it and tie the two straps, so the side that gets flipped over doesn't dump all your stuff all over the place. It's a total hassle when you could just lift a lid and get what you want.

Also, turning the case sideways works on the rack in that picture. If your case is full and your hotel only has those flimsy wire racks (like this one) they make it pretty easy to dump all your stuff on the floor when you are flopping it open and closed.

As I said before I think clamshells have their place. But mostly if you are an "unpacker" during each trip. Unload everything into the closet and dresser when you arrive, and then pack it back up again when you leave. That's how my grandparents traveled and I'm sure it was very elegant. It's just not for me...
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, AmEx Plat.
I went for a Salsa Deluxe - and it's very good so far. It could have a bit more attention to detail regarding dividers etc. within the case, but it' s stable and survived a 2 wk asia trip so far. Thanks to everybody.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by bachberlin
I went for a Salsa Deluxe - and it's very good so far. It could have a bit more attention to detail regarding dividers etc. within the case, but it' s stable and survived a 2 wk asia trip so far. Thanks to everybody.
Glad to hear your selection was a success for you !
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS

As I said before I think clamshells have their place. But mostly if you are an "unpacker" during each trip. Unload everything into the closet and dresser when you arrive, and then pack it back up again when you leave. That's how my grandparents traveled and I'm sure it was very elegant. It's just not for me...
Not sure I get this but as a guy that's used a Tumi Alpha for years (similar to the BR you mentioned), and a Rimowa Salsa Dlx "clamshell" recently neither is perfect. Both unzip on 3 of 4 sides. A Tumi suiter with everything (except the suit) has almost everything in a 1-deep main compartment. That is no more convenient than a "clamshell" for a hotel luggage rack with the contents apportioned between 2 "halves." Sure the Tumi fits easily on most racks - I usually take out the hanger stuff and have the 4th (unzipped side) against the wall. I still have to unpack/sort everything in the main compartment: casual stuff and running shoes and gear are cubed and on top and go in the closet. Toilet kit et al go in the head. Maybe a shell GTex gets hung in the closet.

Compare to hard/clamshell: I use cubes on one side for the toilet kit, running stuff, shorts and casual gear including some shirts, khakis and a pair of jeans. Those cubes come out and are stashed on the media cabinet. Some may go in drawers. The other half is a suit that I hang up anyway + shoes and a few business shirts and ties. No problem.

tTakeway is that with either option you will (i) hang up a suit and related biz attire and be done with it and (ii) conclude that the stuff on the the other half of the clamshell/Tumi or BR should be organized well enough that the width/length of a rack should be no issue. LOL
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by AATrout
I still have to unpack/sort everything in the main compartment:
You don't have to -- you choose to. And there's nothing wrong with that. You sound like a highly organized and carefully-packed traveler, and if keeping things neat is important then unpacking makes a lot of sense.

I don't travel with suits. I travel with a couple of pairs of jeans, shorts, and a bunch of short-sleeve shirts, among the usual toiletries and whatnot. All of it stays in the main compartment during every trip. When I need a fresh pair of jeans I lift up a few layers of clothes, pull out the jeans, and retire my used clothes to a laundry bag (which gets packed on top during the return trip).

When I leave my hotel room I put anything a casual thief might want (laptop, tablet, etc) in the suitcase, zip the top shut, lock it, and leave it on the rack within view of the door. Since most cleaning staff are required to leave the room door open when they are servicing a room, they usually won't touch anything within sight of passersby who might look in.

If I were traveling with a clam shell that procedure would be pretty much impossible. Half my stuff is on one side or the other, and to get to the stuff on the "top" side I pretty much have to lug the case over to the bed, open it butterfly-style and remove the divider to access it. And reverse that to put the case back on the rack. It's no problem as long as you unpack at least half of your stuff. But if you don't like to unpack, it's a total hassle.

So I stand by my previous statement... clam shell suitcases are fine if you prefer to unpack your suitcase. They are not so great if you don't.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:37 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Ory, I like your minimalist description, and while I agree with it, there is a bit more to each case than that.

1. Weight, a rather precious or expensive commodity in air travel today. Limbo= Slightly more weight.
2. Corner protection ( alu) with the Limbo,. One can add these caps to any Salsa case, outside of the normal purchase cost, and perhaps the warranty.
3. Note that some of the early Limbo modles have the X cross straps inside. Select a model with the velcro tension dividers, if purchasing either Salsa Deluxe or Limbo. A much better interior system, which actually prevents either case from overloading, and thus blowing out.
4. Handles: A large alu handle on the Limbo, versus the rubber/silicone only on the Salsa Deluxe. One a cold day here though, wear gloves.
5. Metal hinges: Limbo model only. Very well made.

In English, video reviews:

Limbo ( and a rather sensuous one at that )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMMVfh1qaTU

Salsa Deluxe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5rJP8xFXvw

We have a collection of Rimowa flight luggage accumulated since 1965, but we own neither of these products. If I had to choose between the two, it would be the Limbo model for the alu end caps, latch locks, hinge spine, and alu handle.

Heavier yes, but more protection included.
Sure, and I agree also that if you are afraid of some of the more unprofessional baggage handlers get the Limbo as corners can dent on some of the Rimowas and there's probably a smaller chance with the Limbo vs the Salsa.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:17 pm

Good point Ory.

I'm still traveling in Brasil, and no damage incidents, but I think I will try adding some alu corner caps to my Salsa when I return. My Salsa case is now out of warranty, so it might not hurt to experiment with Rimowa repair service installing. I will keep you posted.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
So I stand by my previous statement... clam shell suitcases are fine if you prefer to unpack your suitcase. They are not so great if you don't.
Agreed completely. Wish there was a nice Rimowa that was not a full clamshell.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Get the Salsa. I have the Limbo and the frame is very prone to denting. If a baggage handler drops it on its side frame it WILL bend (the frame is very thin).

I think with the salsa there is no aluminum frame ... just a zipper, so nothing to bend.

In fact, my first trip with a .77 limbo Air Canada totally trashed the frame. They ended up paying for a new case.

I hate zippers and figured the limbo clasps would be easier. They are, but at price of having a very delicate piece of luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.