Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Product Review: Max Mirani MOVE Mobile Closet

Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold

Considering the majority of my trips are weekends/long weekends, I’ve been looking for a spinner smaller than my beloved TravelPro Crew 4 and something with compartments. I came across this article in the Denver Post and the pic and blurb of Max Mirani's MOVE caught my eye.

The article noted an MSRP of $495, but I was pleasantly surprised mine in Brilliant Black priced at $400 considering the actual price is $450 and I was able to get an additional $50 off using coupon code T8NL58939 at the Max Mirani website. Ground shipping was free.

My MOVE arrived by UPS on Monday and I have to admit it’s really pretty cool. Out of the box, it comes in its own dust cover. The shell really gleams (think piano black) and the red zipper is a nice contrast. The telescoping handle worked flawlessly and it’s easy to drop it to grab the static/top handle in one motion while on the fly. I even noticed the bottom is flatter so when you carry by the static/top handle, the bag doesn't interfere with your stride.

The zippers wrap around to the bottom to two button snaps. Unsnap those and you’re able to fully unzip the two halves to open it and hang. The interior is well laid out and intuitive with pictograms for the different compartments. The beauty of it is you never have to unpack or have an open suitcase lying around your hotel room. The whole inside zips out as a separate garment bag, leaving you the lined shell to pack your souvenirs in.

Overall, very nice eye-catching product. I’ll post pics when I get a chance.

Last edited by Duhey2; Dec 4, 2011 at 1:26 am Reason: Added URL
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:54 am

You could also check out Travelpro's WalkAbout Lite 4 20" Widespinner
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:40 am
Original Poster

A month and a half later, I'm loving my MOVE. Took it on my trip to Tokyo and it handled IAH/EWR/NRT, the N'EX, the Yamanote line, Tokyo and Shimbashi stations with tremendous ease. It also looked smart as we stepped off the elevator into the lobby of the Conrad.

It's now made the NYT holiday gift guide.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
So, how big is it? It's funny that the site gives weight but not dimensions.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deirdre
So, how big is it? It's funny that the site gives weight but not dimensions.
21" x 10" x 14"
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:04 am

Where to buy MOVE?

Originally Posted by Duhey2
Considering the majority of my trips are weekends/long weekends, Ive been looking for a spinner smaller than my beloved TravelPro Crew 4 and something with compartments. I came across this article in the Denver Post and the pic and blurb of Max Mirani's MOVE caught my eye.

The article noted an MSRP of $495, but I was pleasantly surprised mine in Brilliant Black priced at $400 considering the actual price is $450 and I was able to get an additional $50 off using coupon code T8NL58939. Ground shipping was free.

My MOVE arrived by UPS on Monday and I have to admit its really pretty cool. Out of the box, it comes in its own dust cover. The shell really gleams (think piano black) and the red zipper is a nice contrast. The telescoping handle worked flawlessly and its easy to drop it to grab the static/top handle in one motion while on the fly. I even noticed the bottom is flatter so when you carry by the static/top handle, the bag doesn't interfere with your stride.

The zippers wrap around to the bottom to two button snaps. Unsnap those and youre able to fully unzip the two halves to open it and hang. The interior is well laid out and intuitive with pictograms for the different compartments. The beauty of it is you never have to unpack or have an open suitcase lying around your hotel room. The whole inside zips out as a separate garment bag, leaving you the lined shell to pack your souvenirs in.

Overall, very nice eye-catching product. Ill post pics when I get a chance.
It seems like you got a good price, and a coupon code! Can you let me know where you got it? And, are you still enjoying/recommending it? I really want one but it is kind of expensive so i want to be sure I'll love it.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ghbbi
It seems like you got a good price, and a coupon code! Can you let me know where you got it? And, are you still enjoying/recommending it? I really want one but it is kind of expensive so i want to be sure I'll love it.
I got it direct from the Max Mirani website. I still love it and definitely recommend it. I've actually received a few compliments from strangers in the airport...something no other suitcase of mine has done. Even my father commented that while on that Tokyo trip, he noticed people checking it out. It really is eye-catching.

In addition to the NYT 2011 gift guide, Mrs. D2 came across it in the 2011 Fodor's gift guide.

Last edited by Duhey2; Dec 4, 2011 at 1:27 am Reason: added URL
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:51 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I like the idea and it's great for quick trips where weight or size isn't an issue. However, I've used similar closet organizers and found that the internal compartments (and sometimes even the bag itself) sag from the weight of my clothing. How much do you put in it? The photo shows 2 shirts and a pair of jeans....

I travel with a lot of knitwear that is heavier than shirts but doesn't need ironing.

What really intrigues me about this bag is that the inside seems to double as its own carrying bag so you can get 2 bags in a pinch
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, from Gold to Diamond and back again
Coupon code still works!

Originally Posted by Duhey2
The article noted an MSRP of $495, but I was pleasantly surprised mine in Brilliant Black priced at $400 considering the actual price is $450 and I was able to get an additional $50 off using coupon code T8NL58939 at the Max Mirani website. Ground shipping was free.
Coupon code still works in March ($50). Both colors priced at $450, so coupon helps!

I am intrigued in general, but specifically for travel to/from Europe. Bag check requirements upon return home are always more restrictive than outbound (weight, size or both...), so even though I can avoid luggage check on the way out, I know I will have to check on the return.

I am always engineering the packing for both - how to split contents between carry-on and checked bag - to have essential or valuable items in the cabin while checking the roller bag on return. I wind up packing an additional smaller bag just for this purpose, but it gets to be a hassle.

The MOVE could simplify packing for these because of the zip-out option. There would still be a re-packing step on return, to split items between the hard case (to check) and the zip-out tote (to carry on). This is rather brilliant...

Ordered mine today!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.