Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.

I think the rate limiting factor is not the height or length, but the depth.

I got the Briggs & Riley Transcend 19inch. The big thing there is that it is only 7 inches deep - which I believe is the rate limiting factor on fitting it into the bins of the smallest RJs. I haven't had a chance to take it onto a CRJ200, yet...but when I do, I'll report back whether it fits overhead.

Does anyone else have any succes in getting a roller overhead in a CRJ200 size plane? I know there are some rolling briefcases that will fit, but I'm looking to one-bag it, while sparing the weight on my shoulder. As such, I need a bag that has a more open compartment, rather than a briefcase with a bunch of file folder subdivisions in it.

And just for the record...AGAIN...it's frustrating that I so many of my trips begin and end with a Barbie Jet CRJ to connect to ATL, and from there it's an airborn ocean liner the rest of the way. For those of us that can pack light enough not to have to check luggage, it's a hassle that I have to fit it down to the smallest common denominator overhead bin.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat Marriott Platinum Starwood Gold
First, I think you mean the "Largest that will still fit in the overhead," right?

Second, while I don't fly often in CRJs, in my experience, DL and AA are prepared to take your bag on the jetway and return it on arrival. It's not as convenient as having direct access on board but it beats the standard baggage check process. Has this not been working for you?

Third, if you're committed to finding a bag that will fit in the CRJ, note that ebags.com provides size details on all their bags. Next time, take you "doesn't quite fit" bag on board (as if you assume that since it's a legal carry-on that it will fit), hoist it into the overhead and get a good reading on how much smaller a bag would need to be.

You wrote, "I think the rate limiting factor is not the height or length, but the depth." You want to KNOW your size limits.

Finally, don't forget that a bag that just fits in one tail number, for any of several reasons, may not fit in another aircraft, even the same model (CRJ 200 vs 900).
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Johnny Cache
First, I think you mean the "Largest that will still fit in the overhead," right?

Second, while I don't fly often in CRJs, in my experience, DL and AA are prepared to take your bag on the jetway and return it on arrival. It's not as convenient as having direct access on board but it beats the standard baggage check process. Has this not been working for you?

Third, if you're committed to finding a bag that will fit in the CRJ, note that ebags.com provides size details on all their bags. Next time, take you "doesn't quite fit" bag on board (as if you assume that since it's a legal carry-on that it will fit), hoist it into the overhead and get a good reading on how much smaller a bag would need to be.

You wrote, "I think the rate limiting factor is not the height or length, but the depth." You want to KNOW your size limits.

Finally, don't forget that a bag that just fits in one tail number, for any of several reasons, may not fit in another aircraft, even the same model (CRJ 200 vs 900).
Yep...I meant what's the largest rolling bag.

I'm pretty sure the Tristar is the largest bag in general that will fit into a small RJ overhead (like the CRJ200).

But I would like to know if there is a bag that will ROLL that is large enough for me to pack for a 3 day trip (and I can pack light!), yet still fit overhead. I've just had too many close calls on connections to worry about being the last bag up onto the jetway.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Thumbs up CRJ O/H case

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I think the rate limiting factor is not the height or length, but the depth.

I got the Briggs & Riley Transcend 19inch. The big thing there is that it is only 7 inches deep - which I believe is the rate limiting factor on fitting it into the bins of the smallest RJs. I haven't had a chance to take it onto a CRJ200, yet...but when I do, I'll report back whether it fits overhead.

Does anyone else have any succes in getting a roller overhead in a CRJ200 size plane? I know there are some rolling briefcases that will fit, but I'm looking to one-bag it, while sparing the weight on my shoulder. As such, I need a bag that has a more open compartment, rather than a briefcase with a bunch of file folder subdivisions in it.

And just for the record...AGAIN...it's frustrating that I so many of my trips begin and end with a Barbie Jet CRJ to connect to ATL, and from there it's an airborn ocean liner the rest of the way. For those of us that can pack light enough not to have to check luggage, it's a hassle that I have to fit it down to the smallest common denominator overhead bin.
My Zuca-Pro (www.zuca.com) fits almost all CRJs (I did have a problem on an older SkyWest model). Zuca Pro in the o/h and computer bag under the seat in front no waiting at the gate after arrival. Saved my skin a couple of times on tight connections.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus,Marriott Rewards,Priority Club,Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by DisneyDude
My Zuca-Pro (www.zuca.com) fits almost all CRJs (I did have a problem on an older SkyWest model). Zuca Pro in the o/h and computer bag under the seat in front no waiting at the gate after arrival. Saved my skin a couple of times on tight connections.
I'm sorry for doubting you, but after looking at the website I just don't believe the Zuca Pro would fit in the overhead of CRJ200. I carry a medium size laptop backpack and even it requires some effort to make it fit.

I am cursed to be forced to fly on CRJ200 fairly often and I think you are going to have a very difficult time finding any roller board that will fit in the overheads on them. What is more important is that just because it may fit doesn't mean you are going to be allowed to try. A few of the carriers I fly (mostly UA express variants) force anything with wheels to be gate checked. On those that will allow them you need to keep in mind that there is not enough overhead space on a 200 for everyone who wants to place something there to get the space you need. Unless you have the status to be an earlier boarder then you are most likely not going to get the overhead space you require.

My advice is to get used to gate checking. You may not like it, but if you are forced to fly CRJ's on a regular basis (like I am unfortunately) you'll be a lot happier if you just accept it.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Doubting Thomas?

Originally Posted by Foxhat
I'm sorry for doubting you, but after looking at the website I just don't believe the Zuca Pro would fit in the overhead of CRJ200. I carry a medium size laptop backpack and even it requires some effort to make it fit.
Next time I am on a CRJ I will take a picture for you , but trust me it does fit. I have pulled off my Medallion tags a couple of time due to the tight fit, but I got it in there.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DisneyDude
Next time I am on a CRJ I will take a picture for you , but trust me it does fit. I have pulled off my Medallion tags a couple of time due to the tight fit, but I got it in there.
Which CRJ are you talking about? I'm sure your Zuca will fit into the overhead of a CRJ900 and a CRJ700....but the CRJ200 (where there is no First Class cabin) is a special death barge sewage pipe from hell, and they make the overhead bins juuuuuust small enough so that virtually nothing with wheels will fit up there. Have you had a chance to try the Zuca in one of those god forsaken planes?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus,Marriott Rewards,Priority Club,Hilton HHonors
Which CRJ are you talking about? I'm sure your Zuca will fit into the overhead of a CRJ900 and a CRJ700....but the CRJ200 (where there is no First Class cabin) is a special death barge sewage pipe from hell, and they make the overhead bins juuuuuust small enough so that virtually nothing with wheels will fit up there. Have you had a chance to try the Zuca in one of those god forsaken planes?
+1

I've got three trips in the next two months where I will be forced to fly on the CRJ200s. I'd rather be on a SF340.

Last edited by Foxhat; Oct 12, 2011 at 8:21 am
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
All the Purdy Neat luggage fits into the overhead bins as long as they're not overstuffed. Also, check out StrongBags -- a lot of crew use those as well.

http://www.flybystore.com/LuggageWor...gage_c_66.html

http://www.strongbags.com/

That's what the crew usually use.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
All the Purdy Neat luggage fits into the overhead bins as long as they're not overstuffed. Also, check out StrongBags -- a lot of crew use those as well.

http://www.flybystore.com/LuggageWor...gage_c_66.html

http://www.strongbags.com/

That's what the crew usually use.
These won't fit into the overhead bins of a CRJ200.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: 1K, Marriott-Gold
Great line! Sounds like not even some personal items would make the cut. Perhaps they could add some seat belts and sell them as bargain seats for families with small children...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I dunno but research shows 18 x 14 x 7 which is tricky.. most bags are more than 7. http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth...uctid=10145975 this?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
I dunno but research shows 18 x 14 x 7 which is tricky.. most bags are more than 7. http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth...uctid=10145975 this?
That bag popped up in my research as one of the few rolling bags that has a depth of less than 8inches, which makes it a possibility for the short RJ200 bins.

But sheesh. The words "Kenneth Cole" plastered all over the bag? I could never live with that.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I found http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...u=775191c9b646 17x13x7
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
broken link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.