Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Recently in Miami my Eagle Creek ES2 Round About was stolen. The price has jumped from $30 back up to $135, so I won't be replacing it 1:1. Now I'm trying to decide between these bags:

$50 - American Tourister iLite Supreme Wheeled Tote

$33 - Ciao! Rolling Underseat Carry-On

$72 - Eagle Creek Travel Gateway Wheeled Carry-On Tote

$72 - Travelpro Maxlite 3 Wheeled Tote

$75 - Travelpro Crew 7 Wheeled Tote (New Old Stock)

I'm leaning towards the EC, but it's a bit smaller (only 14" wide) and doesn't have the "No Matter What" warranty". I know from the EC packing suggestions that the Pack-It Folder Small and Pack-It Cube will fit fine, but I'm a bit worried about the width of folded dress pants (38" waist).

The American Tourister was the bag I was originally considering way back before I found the first EC Deal. I've seen it in person and it feels like one of the American Tourister gems, not one of the dogs you find at Walmart. My main concern with the AT is the width... at 17", I'm assuming I'll have to carry it down most aircraft aisles. The handle is mediocre but workable. Since the "laptop compartment" isn't padded, I'd probably put the Pack-It Folder in there.

The Ciao! is probably the most similar to the original EC. I hope the floating storage flap above the main compartment is removable or at least detaches at the top, but not a deal-breaker. I'd have to get a day-pass at Costco to buy it, or pay $5.50 more for shipping and non-member surcharge.

I've played with the Maxlite 3 in person. I like the build and layout, but there is some space lost to the laptop compartment that I would rarely ever use (might be able to put the Pack-It Folder here). I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the tipping problem on my Crew 9 20", but I don't think that means much in relation to a completely different line and type of bag. Same holds for the Crew 7 Wheeled Tote, which is new old stock with some shelf marks on the plastics, though I see it as a positive that it does not have a laptop compartment.

Thoughts on these bags?

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Sep 9, 2014 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have a 20" Travelpro Crew 7.. Fits perfectly in a CRJ200/700.. As long as you don't overstuff it.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Recently in Miami my Eagle Creek ES2 Round About was stolen. The price has jumped from $30 back up to $135, so I won't be replacing it 1:1. Now I'm trying to decide between these bags:

$30 - American Tourister iLite Supreme Wheeled Tote

$33 - Ciao! Rolling Underseat Carry-On

$72 - Eagle Creek Travel Gateway Wheeled Carry-On Tote

$72 - Travelpro Maxlite 3 Wheeled Tote

$75 - Travelpro Crew 7 Wheeled Tote (New Old Stock)

I'm leaning towards the EC, but it's a bit smaller (only 14" wide) and doesn't have the "No Matter What" warranty". I know from the EC packing suggestions that the Pack-It Folder Small and Pack-It Cube will fit fine, but I'm a bit worried about the width of folded dress pants (38" waist).

The American Tourister was the bag I was originally considering way back before I found the first EC Deal. I've seen it in person and it feels like one of the American Tourister gems, not one of the dogs you find at Walmart. My main concern with the AT is the width... at 17", I'm assuming I'll have to carry it down most aircraft aisles. The handle is mediocre but workable. Since the "laptop compartment" isn't padded, I'd probably put the Pack-It Folder in there.

The Ciao! is probably the most similar to the original EC. I hope the floating storage flap above the main compartment is removable or at least detaches at the top, but not a deal-breaker. I'd have to get a day-pass at Costco to buy it, or pay $5.50 more for shipping and non-member surcharge.

I've played with the Maxlite 3 in person. I like the build and layout, but there is some space lost to the laptop compartment that I would rarely ever use (might be able to put the Pack-It Folder here). I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the tipping problem on my Crew 9 20", but I don't think that means much in relation to a completely different line and type of bag. Same holds for the Crew 7 Wheeled Tote, which is new old stock with some shelf marks on the plastics, though I see it as a positive that it does not have a laptop compartment.

Thoughts on these bags?

Are you pretty set on Totes? Prior to chancing upon my Victorinox, I actually was set to by Gate 8.

While I am no @TheGasGuru I would seriously consider the gate8 trifold. Especially if you have a similar routine as mine, with 3 nights in the hotel kind of travel.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:57 am

Recently reconfirmed my Tom Bihn Aeronaut fits lengthwise in
the overhead on Delta CRJ-200. I know, non-roller, but the rollers
were being gate tagged given the flight was stuffed. Oh wait, the
CRJ-200s normal state is stuffed.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Paul56
Recently reconfirmed my Tom Bihn Aeronaut fits lengthwise in
the overhead on Delta CRJ-200. I know, non-roller, but the rollers
were being gate tagged given the flight was stuffed. Oh wait, the
CRJ-200s normal state is stuffed.
Aeronaut is not a roller, but it can pack a massive amount of stuff, yet it still fits overhead in the CRJ-Flying-Sewage-Pipe. I put it on top of my B&R U116 (it costs more, but I still contend is built like a tank compared to some of the other bags mentioned in this thread), and now I have rolling luggage. And the U116 ALSO fits in the overhead of the CRJ-FSPfromHell. On many flights, even when the little CRJ is booked solid, there is unused overhead bin space, since everyone is forced to valet check their bags. The majority of the time, I get to put my U116 and my Aeronaut up top, then sashay off the plane and right up the jetway without a pause. Awesome.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
The other day, I was boarding an Air Canada CRJ 200 on a bridge (usually ground loaded here) and the FA told me to see if my Briggs and Riley Transcend 19 inch carry on would in the bin before I go and sky check it. I thought she was joking but tried anyways, and it fit in sideways! It was quite full, but went in quite easily. I've always just left it at the cart during boarding, and never thought it would fit. The bag fits easily in E90 bins, CRA bins, DH4 bins, and to know it fits in CRJ bins is great.

Suddenly, I like the CRJ a whole lot more! Faster than a Dash 8 and no waiting for sky check- a perfect combination!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by nave888
The other day, I was boarding an Air Canada CRJ 200 on a bridge (usually ground loaded here) and the FA told me to see if my Briggs and Riley Transcend 19 inch carry on would in the bin before I go and sky check it. I thought she was joking but tried anyways, and it fit in sideways! It was quite full, but went in quite easily. I've always just left it at the cart during boarding, and never thought it would fit. The bag fits easily in E90 bins, CRA bins, DH4 bins, and to know it fits in CRJ bins is great.

Suddenly, I like the CRJ a whole lot more! Faster than a Dash 8 and no waiting for sky check- a perfect combination!
That is some good information. My only concern would be how much hassle I might get arguing with random hard-headed gate agents over whether it will fit overhead or not.

Still - the fact that it does fit is great news.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:13 pm

Does anyone have experience with the TravelPro FlightCrew 4 Rolling Tote? I am considering getting one, but I am not sure if it will fit in the overhead bin of CRJ200. My main concern is that its thickness is 10.5", which is larger than 9", but perhaps it can be compressed?

http://www.stopoverstore.com/product...g-overnighter/
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I ended up ordering the Ciao! this afternoon, so I expect it here by the end of the week. I saw one in person rolling through DFW week before last and it looks like a much higher end bag (very similar to my prior Eagle Creek) other than the telescoping handle which looks par for most sub-$100 bags. I ordered online as the non-member fee was only $1.50 on top of the $4 shipping (less than I would have spent on gas there and back) and $2.50 tax (which I would have paid at the store anyway), so $38 delivered.

On my last trip, which was only a 1-nighter, I dug out a low-end TravelPro laptop breif made for a 15.6" laptop that I hadn't used in years. I put all of my clothes for the next day (dress pants, shirt, underwear, undershirt) in my EC Pack-It Folder 15 which fit nicely in the rear file folder compartment, with my Surface Pro, notebook, and EC Toiletry Bad in the front compartment. I traveled in jeans and my sport coat. This combo is far and away the lightest I've ever traveled even for a single night trip, and probably the route I'll go for single night trips moving forward. This will move the Ciao! bag squarely into the 2-3/4 night range and my 20" or 22" TravelPros into the 4+ night range, mostly depending on how much footwear and outerwear I need to pack.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by hamster163
Does anyone have experience with the TravelPro FlightCrew 4 Rolling Tote? I am considering getting one, but I am not sure if it will fit in the overhead bin of CRJ200. My main concern is that its thickness is 10.5", which is larger than 9", but perhaps it can be compressed?

http://www.stopoverstore.com/product...g-overnighter/
My rolling tote is 8.5 inches. With the front pocket empty, it fits like a glove. If I forget to shift my 3-1-1 bag after security, it's too wide. I doubt that a 10.5" bag would fit.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I ended up ordering the Ciao! this afternoon, so I expect it here by the end of the week. I saw one in person rolling through DFW week before last and it looks like a much higher end bag (very similar to my prior Eagle Creek) other than the telescoping handle which looks par for most sub-$100 bags. I ordered online as the non-member fee was only $1.50 on top of the $4 shipping (less than I would have spent on gas there and back) and $2.50 tax (which I would have paid at the store anyway), so $38 delivered.

On my last trip, which was only a 1-nighter, I dug out a low-end TravelPro laptop breif made for a 15.6" laptop that I hadn't used in years. I put all of my clothes for the next day (dress pants, shirt, underwear, undershirt) in my EC Pack-It Folder 15 which fit nicely in the rear file folder compartment, with my Surface Pro, notebook, and EC Toiletry Bad in the front compartment. I traveled in jeans and my sport coat. This combo is far and away the lightest I've ever traveled even for a single night trip, and probably the route I'll go for single night trips moving forward. This will move the Ciao! bag squarely into the 2-3/4 night range and my 20" or 22" TravelPros into the 4+ night range, mostly depending on how much footwear and outerwear I need to pack.
I got the Ciao! bag this afternoon... my original order was canceled (without alerting me) due to a zip code typo, so I had to re-order on 9/3 and it arrived today.

The form-factor and size shares more in common with the Briggs U116 than the Eagle Creek ES2 Round About, though the main flap doesn't extend as far back on the top of the bag. The sides are definitely more rigid than the EC, and the main flap opens wider for easier packing. The Pack-It Cube and Folder 15 fit perfectly and there may bit a touch more width for my folded dress pants compared to the EC as well.

The front pocked will just barely hold my Surface Pro with either Touch Cover or Power Cover... I don't think it would hold my 6" x 8" notebook as well. Is would hold my Galaxy Tab 3 8" and notebook, though, depending on the type of trip I'm on. The side pockets are larger than the EC, and similar to the larger pocked on BR; they zip open on 2 sides like the EC. The small front pocket is tight and might hold a cell-phone and wallet IF the larger front pocket isn't stuffed. The small top pocket is also tight, and not all that easy to access with the carry handles hooked together. All of the inside pockets, including those on the flap, are quite flat/tight and probably won't serve much purpose for me. The flap w/ pockets unsnaps at the top and lays flat to the bottom, almost like it's not there... it's sewn across the entire bottom and wouldn't be easy to cut out to remove it entirely, but there's not much need to either.

My biggest concern was the quality of the handle, but upon receipt it seems to be roughly equivalent to the EC, but not as wide/solid as some of the TravelPro bags I have from the Crew 9 and older Platinum lines. The wheels are fully-enclosed and in-line skate style (not true free-spinning ball-bearing type) , but the enclosures are riveted to the bag so they don't appear to be user-replaceable.

For ~$38 delivered, this is the best deal currently available for a bag this size. The build-quality is a step down from the EC, but it's still solid and should last awhile.

Having ordered from Costco as a non-member, I'm not sure if I could just exchange for a replacement at any time like a member... anyone out there know?

I have a 4-night trip coming up this weekend... I'll report back if I'm able to fit a full 4-nights in (should be able to as I'm taking my golf clubs and I can offload some clothing into my golf bag as well).
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by nave888

Can i be a meanie and say pics or it did'nt happen?

I need some pics before I can get more shiny toys, or the wife is gonna kick me to the curb!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by Azzuristar
Can i be a meanie and say pics or it did'nt happen?

I need some pics before I can get more shiny toys, or the wife is gonna kick me to the curb!
I didn't take any pictures. I should have though, it was almost miraculous Right now though, all my travel seems to be on DH4s and DH3s (only a couple of the YEG-YYC flights are CRJs). It did have to go in wheels first and then get twisted in, but it fit fairly easily, and came out easily too.

I know its not what you wanted, but keep in mind that it was discontinued, so maybe you could find one on sale? Also, perhaps the replacement line can be tested?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I don't normally fly regionals but just got back from a trip to DTW from LGA on AA. At both LGA and DTW they went through the boarding area and checked while boarding with the "if it has wheels it is too big" policy. I had a B&R medium statchel (old design) with no wheels and a Timbuk2 bag and had no problems boarding. The B&R fit in the overhead easily and the Timbuk2 under the seat.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:23 am

Hi all
Where it's been a couple years since the last post here and unfortunately the CRJ200 is no less common as it was then, thought I'd bump this thread. In the market for a new roller for my 1-2 day trips that'll possibly fit on these puddle jumpers.

Anyone have any new recommendations of what they're using these days?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.