Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Paul56
I regularly fly in the sardine cans... er CRJ200's... with Delta and
invariably they always tag the rollers to be stowed underneath.

The attitude seems to be if it has wheels it will get tagged.
I'm with GasGuru. I routinely roll my cabin tote onto CRJs without GAs or FAs batting an eyelash. One almost tagged me once, but then she looked a little closer at what I had, noted that my carry on had no wheels, and waved me on.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:07 am

I use my Tom Bihn Aeronaut... It is black and wheel-less so it
already looks small even though I can pack a lot of items inside.

The GA's never bother me about stowing it underneath on the
small jets. I never fly anywhere on the prop planes so I have
no experience to report with them.

I only take 1 bag... and that 1 bag also has my CPAP so there
would be some discussion if they requested to tag it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Paul56
I use my Tom Bihn Aeronaut...
Taking my Aeronaut on those little CRJs always cracks me up. I can pack, like, a small apartment building inside my Aeronaut. Yet, since it has no wheels and I've got it on like a backpack - the GAs never say a peep. I am frequently amazed at how huge it looks when fully packed, yet I always manage to squish it into the overhead bin of those little CRJs. And I've stated before: bin space on the little bitty CRJs is often pretty easy to come by, since so many other travelers had to gate check there roll(not)aboards.

I'm also on record for embracing a "hybrid" approach to 1-Bag travel. My Aeronaut (or Tristar or Western Flyer, depending on the trip) is my main bag, and my B&R U116 accompanies. Yes, it's technically a 2-bag approach. But - Those 2 bags can ALWAYS fit overhead of any jet, so I get the advantage of the 1-Bag method (ie, never having to gate check), but I still also get the advantage of wheeled travel (ie, not throwing my back out).

Heck...it occurs to me that I'm the OP of this thread! The whole reason I posted back then was to make sure my 2-Bag/1-BagBenefit approach would be universally successful. I can now report that it is!!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Taking my Aeronaut on those little CRJs always cracks me up. I can pack, like, a small apartment building inside my Aeronaut. Yet, since it has no wheels and I've got it on like a backpack - the GAs never say a peep. I am frequently amazed at how huge it looks when fully packed, yet I always manage to squish it into the overhead bin of those little CRJs. And I've stated before: bin space on the little bitty CRJs is often pretty easy to come by, since so many other travelers had to gate check there roll(not)aboards.

I'm also on record for embracing a "hybrid" approach to 1-Bag travel. My Aeronaut (or Tristar or Western Flyer, depending on the trip) is my main bag, and my B&R U116 accompanies. Yes, it's technically a 2-bag approach. But - Those 2 bags can ALWAYS fit overhead of any jet, so I get the advantage of the 1-Bag method (ie, never having to gate check), but I still also get the advantage of wheeled travel (ie, not throwing my back out).

Heck...it occurs to me that I'm the OP of this thread! The whole reason I posted back then was to make sure my 2-Bag/1-BagBenefit approach would be universally successful. I can now report that it is!!
I think it is a great approach, thanks for sharing it. I have an older U116 and I suspect it would not fit in the overhead of a CRJ. But I am more interested in whether you have run afoul of having your personal item be too big?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think it is a great approach, thanks for sharing it. I have an older U116 and I suspect it would not fit in the overhead of a CRJ. But I am more interested in whether you have run afoul of having your personal item be too big?
Is the a significant design change in the "older" U116s? Seems unlikely. I can tell you that the current U116 definitively fits overhead in the CRJ200s and the ERJ145s, if you put it in wheels out.

I put my Aeronaut (or equivalent ) on top of my U116,and happy wheel all over the airport. When I'm about to board, I put the Aeronaut on like a backpack (or Tristar or whatever), and I retract the handle of the U116, and hand carry it. Never been questioned about it, not even once (which is a little dumb luck, I admit). And there is very often unused overhead bin space such that I can put both bags overhead without poaching space from another traveler, since so many other people end up checking their bags on those tiny jets.

So far I've been thrilled with my method.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Is the a significant design change in the "older" U116s? Seems unlikely. I can tell you that the current U116 definitively fits overhead in the CRJ200s and the ERJ145s, if you put it in wheels out.

I put my Aeronaut (or equivalent ) on top of my U116,and happy wheel all over the airport. When I'm about to board, I put the Aeronaut on like a backpack (or Tristar or whatever), and I retract the handle of the U116, and hand carry it. Never been questioned about it, not even once (which is a little dumb luck, I admit). And there is very often unused overhead bin space such that I can put both bags overhead without poaching space from another traveler, since so many other people end up checking their bags on those tiny jets.

So far I've been thrilled with my method.
I have been using the U116 and a medium Timbuk2 messenger (which is quite big) in a similar way. The older U116 has a bigger pocket on the front and is deeper (front to back as it is sitting on its wheels) by a bit I think so that it can't go in wheels out because the opening in the overhead isn't high enough. If that makes sense.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Do you all think the transcend version of the rolling tote would fit?
It seems to be slightly bigger than the baseline according to BR's site.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dimramon
Do you all think the transcend version of the rolling tote would fit?
It seems to be slightly bigger than the baseline according to BR's site.
I found the Baseline version of the rolling tote (the U116) to be easier to use for travel than the Trascend for a couple of reasons.

First, the top of the Baseline is more flat, and therefore makes it easy to balance another bag on top of it, thus using the Baseline as a trolley. The top of the Transcend has a noticeable taper to it, which makes is a good looking piece of luggage, but not very easy to balance another bag on top of it.

Second, the Baseline is configured such that when you unzip it, it opens up from the top. I find top loading a rolling tote to be far far easier to use in the real world than a front or side loading bag. The Transcend is more of a clamshell type shape, and has a bit more of a front loading feel to it when I use it.

Of course, like many things, these little nitpicks are purely personal preference.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:12 pm

Of course, like many things, these little nitpicks are purely personal preference.
They're important though.. I didn't look at that bags that way, so I'm going to order a U116 for my lovely CRJ trips.

Thanks for this thread, it's helped me a lot
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

I've been eying this as an alternative. The hard, flat top looks like it would support a second bag well. It's expandable to 10". As long as you don't fill that space, it could go through the airport expanded to make a more stable base and still fit in the CRJ overhead. The computer sleeve and file organizer is removable, so it can be a briefcase or an open tote. As a tote, it opens fully. The only problem is the $595 price tag.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Megn
The only problem is the $595 price tag.
That's the reason I have never really bought a Tumi bag. More expensive than Briggs, and an inferior warranty.

I have been eying an Eagle Creek bag that has the same warranty as BR. http://shop.eaglecreek.com/ec-advent...e/d/1206_c_111
It's slightly smaller than the U116, so it should work.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dimramon
That's the reason I have never really bought a Tumi bag. More expensive than Briggs, and an inferior warranty.

I have been eying an Eagle Creek bag that has the same warranty as BR. http://shop.eaglecreek.com/ec-advent...e/d/1206_c_111
It's slightly smaller than the U116, so it should work.
Yeah, the Tumi's always cost a premium price. I personally have found the design of Tumi a little "busy" for my taste - I prefer the B&R cleaner lines.

The Eagle Creek rolling tote you mention would definitely work. But to be picky about it, that bag is more of a front loading bag than a top loading bag, and it's hard to tell from the photos if the top of the bag has a slope that might make balancing another bag on top of it difficult. Also, it's hard to tell if the bag is very soft-sided, such that it might collapse a bit when another bag is placed on top of it - the B&R seems to have a bit of structure to it that helps it retain it's shape even when another bag is balanced on top. On the other hand, my B&R is usually filled up enough that he inner contents makes the bag keeps it's structure, and there's no reason to think the Eagle Creek wouldn't do the same.

Again, I should point out that most of the luggage companies design these totes with the idea that the tote will go on top of another rolling suitcase. Whereas I am using the tote as my only roller - I use another, non-wheeled bag for the rest of my luggage. If you do any research on "one bag" travelling, you'll understand that non-wheeled bags have by far the most packing room per size of bag. By using a small tote with wheels, and another non-wheeled bag, I can pack as much stuff as I'd ever need for any trip, yet don't have to manually carry my luggage (which is what you have to do with true one-bag travel), and I still NEVER have to check a bag, since I can fit both bags in an overhead bin or under my seat. Never checking a bag means I never spend time waiting at the baggage carousel, and I never have lost luggage.

One final point: whenever I've had any issue with my B&R bags (I own multiple different ones), I take it to my local luggage shop who handles the B&R repairs, and the guy fixes it and gives it back to me, and no money ever changes hands. It's awesome.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:27 am

One final point: whenever I've had any issue with my B&R bags (I own multiple different ones), I take it to my local luggage shop who handles the B&R repairs, and the guy fixes it and gives it back to me, and no money ever changes hands. It's awesome.
I haven't been that lucky with repairs. On both occasions, I had to bring it in and pay the shipping cost, which I believe was 25 dollars.

That being said, BR has always done a magnificent job with the repairs. When I needed the handle on my 21" Transcend repaired last year, they not only fixed the handle, but also touched up the rubber lining outside and some other things. They essentially made the bag look like new, so it was a nice surprise when I got it back.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:53 pm

Finally got my U116. Ordered it through Amazon with a 20% "fashion" discount.

I have a flight coming up on a DASH8... Would it fit in the overhead?
Old May 20, 2014, 8:58 am

The EC Adventure Wheeled Tote has a very slight forward slope to the top. I have not found this to be a problem. I use the Adventure Weekender with the slip pocket that fits over the handle of the tote. It seems stable and easy to wheel. My only complaint with the tote is that it does not open fully. So far not a problem, but if I were trying to fit something really big in it, I would probably do as others have done and cut out the elastic gussets that keeps it from opening all the way. This bag will not fit a laptop larger than 13-14", but the Weekender has a generously sized pocket that will hold a large laptop (you would have to use a neoprene or other sleeve) if you need to carry one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.