Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:35 am

I always end up gate checking my carry on when I fly on a CRJ200. I have a Skooba Checkpoint Friendly laptop bag that is about all I can fit in the overhead on that plane. Not much room at all.

LL
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The "pleasure" of having to fly these death barge sewer pipes (thanks for that one) was part of the reason I switched to Red Oxx and no wheels. Can fit a SkyTrain in the overhead or under the seat.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by N1120A
The "pleasure" of having to fly these death barge sewer pipes (thanks for that one) was part of the reason I switched to Red Oxx and no wheels. Can fit a SkyTrain in the overhead or under the seat.
Same here. I switched to a Skytrain, and later a Tristar, for exactly the same reason. But daggone it, sometimes I'm required to take a lot of "tech" stuff with me, and the bag gets heavy. Wheels sure would be nice, especially if I have to do just ONE MORE dash from one tippy-toe-end of DTW terminal C to the other tippy-toe-end of DTW terminal A with a late arrival and a 30 min connection. Whew.

I'm starting to consider going with a very small wheeled tote, like this Briggs & Riley, and putting my Tristar/Skytrain on top of it. I can get both of these onto a CRJ200. They'd both fit overhead - I'd never put a second bag up top if bin space were lacking (the 2nd bag would go under the seat in front of me), yet...on a CRJ200, often the bin space goes under-used, since everyone has had to gate check.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thegasguru
I think the rate limiting factor is not the height or length, but the depth.

I got the Briggs & Riley Transcend 19inch. The big thing there is that it is only 7 inches deep - which I believe is the rate limiting factor on fitting it into the bins of the smallest RJs. I haven't had a chance to take it onto a CRJ200, yet...but when I do, I'll report back whether it fits overhead.

Does anyone else have any succes in getting a roller overhead in a CRJ200 size plane? I know there are some rolling briefcases that will fit, but I'm looking to one-bag it, while sparing the weight on my shoulder. As such, I need a bag that has a more open compartment, rather than a briefcase with a bunch of file folder subdivisions in it.

And just for the record...AGAIN...it's frustrating that I so many of my trips begin and end with a Barbie Jet CRJ to connect to ATL, and from there it's an airborn ocean liner the rest of the way. For those of us that can pack light enough not to have to check luggage, it's a hassle that I have to fit it down to the smallest common denominator overhead bin.

Did you find out yet if the Briggs & Riley Transcend 19 inch fit into the CRJ overhead bin?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by DJ Traveler
Did you find out yet if the Briggs & Riley Transcend 19 inch fit into the CRJ overhead bin?
Fortunately I haven't yet had to fly a leg on a CRJ200. But the more I think about it, the more I believe that there's no way a GA would let me onto the plane without forcing me to gate check it. That's why I'm starting to lean towards travelling in the "one bag" fashion like I've always done, but just adding a very small wheeled tote that will let me get the weight off my shoulder. I lean towards Briggs & Riley, not just because of their bullet-proof warranty, but because I've rarely actually needed their warranty - their just built very well.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ Traveler
Fortunately I haven't yet had to fly a leg on a CRJ200. But the more I think about it, the more I believe that there's no way a GA would let me onto the plane without forcing me to gate check it. That's why I'm starting to lean towards travelling in the "one bag" fashion like I've always done, but just adding a very small wheeled tote that will let me get the weight off my shoulder. I lean towards Briggs & Riley, not just because of their bullet-proof warranty, but because I've rarely actually needed their warranty - their just built very well.
Well, it finally happend. I had to endure another leg on the dreaded death barge flying sewage pipe from hell, the CRJ200. So I thought I'd go ahead and update this thread with my findings.

I went with the Briggs and Riley wheeled tote, which is actually quite compact. It fit easily into the overhead bin with the wheels facing out. In fact, another pax had a similar wheeled bag that was marginally bigger, which fit in wheels-out, so I think you could also fit this Briggs and Riley wheeled cabin bag as well, which is one inch bigger in depth.

I also took my Tom Bihn Tristar. It's amazing how much you can fit into a Tristar - or a Skytrain for that matter - especially when you can offload a lot of your heavier electronic junk into a small wheeled briefcase. And just as often happens, because so many of the other pax had to gate check their bags, there was enough bin space that I could put both my B&R bag AND my Tristar overhead without hogging space from someone else who needed it.

This strategy worked out fantastic for me. It is essentially one-bag travel, but instead of using a standalone cart for the wheels, I used a compact wheeled tote. Being able to wheel my load was such a joy, yet I still could easily put the Tristar on my shoulders and carry the tote (or I could have used the shoulder strap as well) when I had stairs to negotiate. And now I know I won't ever have to check a bag again, not even a gate check.

Even if I'm on a dreaded flying death barge sewage pipe from hell.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
I was going to say that I know I'd fit my TravelPro Crew 6 in those bins. It's 16x13x7.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: Air Canada Altitude S100k / Star Alliance Gold
Can anyone actually confirm if the B&R 19" Transcend fits on a CRJ-200?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Given that 18" is the specified max size http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...nadair_CRJ.php here I would be downright shocked if you could squeeze a 19" there...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Based on my obsession with finding the largest rollaboard that will fit on a CRJ200, I don't think it will fit. But even if you managed to cram it in there, your bigger issue will be to get it past the GA without him/her insisting on gate checking it.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Based on my obsession with finding the largest rollaboard that will fit on a CRJ200, I don't think it will fit. But even if you managed to cram it in there, your bigger issue will be to get it past the GA without him/her insisting on gate checking it.
I usually don't have a problem getting my Boss or Train onto the plane, just get skeptical looks that transition to surprise when they fit. The same is true of people I see with rollers. I did have some moron ramper with Air Whisky insist that the "loads" required me to gate check my Train. Only time in probably 40-50 Red Oxx flights I've had to.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know that others have already pointed out that the question should read largest, not smallest, but it could be fun to answer the question that was asked. The answer might just be a stand alone wheel, perhaps a yoyo or the roller device used to measure length. If luggage must contain an empty enclosed space in which to store stuff, then take the smallest container one can find and add a wheel? Perhaps a wheeled pill box would do the trick?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:08 pm

I just got back from a trip with a CRJ200 leg. In row 5, the depth of the overhead was just over 16" and the height was about 8". I saw a very slight woman put a TravelPro rolling tote in wheels out. She'd obviously done it before as she removed a few items from the outer pocket before even trying to put it into the overhead. It would appear that those are the critical dimensions since someone put a fairly large roller in sideways next to it.

My Patagonia Lightweight Duffel fit easily, even with my coat lashed on top. Since the compartment slopes downward on the bottom, it was actually harder to get out.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by Airport Runner
I just got back from a trip with a CRJ200 leg. In row 5, the depth of the overhead was just over 16" and the height was about 8". I saw a very slight woman put a TravelPro rolling tote in wheels out. She'd obviously done it before as she removed a few items from the outer pocket before even trying to put it into the overhead.
That wasn't me, but I've had the same experience with a bag that size. It'll fit so long as it's not overstuffed. The bag I use is a Crew 6 rolling tote; I believe the Crew 8 would also fit but it is ever so slightly larger.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:29 am

CRJ-200

The only rollerbag that I've been able to successfully fit in the overhead of a CRJ 200 is the Patagonia MLC Wheelie. If you can go without wheels, RedOxx and Patagonia (as well as many others) will fit.

One poster correctly noted that you can just leave it for gate check on these aircraft, but since so few can fit their bags in the overhead anyway, there's a strong likelihood that you can get the Wheelie to fit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.