Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

What's the *largest* rolling luggage that fits overhead on a CRJ200?

Old May 20, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by dimramon
Finally got my U116. Ordered it through Amazon with a 20% "fashion" discount.

I have a flight coming up on a DASH8... Would it fit in the overhead?
I haven't flown specifically on a DASH8, but based on my experience with almost all the other stupid Barbie Jets, I feel pretty confident that it should fit overhead. Remember, you often have to slide it into the overhead bin with the wheels facing out for it to fit.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:59 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Every time I see this post, I want to post a link to something like this. You want the smallest rolling luggage, you got it!

Don't we think the OP actually wants the largest rolling luggage that will fit into a CRJ200 overhead?
Old May 20, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Don't we think the OP actually wants the largest rolling luggage that will fit into a CRJ200 overhead?
Agree... always bugs me too

Title should read: What is the largest rolling bag that fits in a CRJ or ERJ overhead?
Old May 21, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: United
I'd once ordered the Travelpro Crew9, but due to a lining defect noted in sacfitz' review thread, I had to return that unit and ended up with a certain Delsey Helium instead - the main reason I Delsey had rigid sides only 2/3rds way up, to allow more taper for the wedge-shaped bins of the ERJ145. Sounds from more recent reports that the Crew9 does fit fine, but I wanted to be sure back at the time.

Not only did it fit perfectly on a half-dozen flights, but carrying it by the tote straps I never got gate-checked even though it has wheels. In fact once on a winter flight, I knew a lot of people fit large down coats up in the bins, so I reached out willingly for a gate tag and the agent basically refused and waved me and my little bag off!

I actually like to use the rolling tote on mainline flights as well, I can choose to hang at the lounge and avoid the gate scrum for priority boarding. I'll board late and if there's no space towards the front where my seat is, I can put it underseat and my laptop bag overhead. But almost always there's an odd shaped space towards the front bins - esp spanning two consecutive doors where the bins connect but have some supports, where I can shove it in...
Old May 21, 2014, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by wwu123
I'd once ordered the Travelpro Crew9, but due to a lining defect noted in sacfitz' review thread, I had to return that unit and ended up with a certain Delsey Helium instead - the main reason I Delsey had rigid sides only 2/3rds way up, to allow more taper for the wedge-shaped bins of the ERJ145. Sounds from more recent reports that the Crew9 does fit fine, but I wanted to be sure back at the time.

Not only did it fit perfectly on a half-dozen flights, but carrying it by the tote straps I never got gate-checked even though it has wheels. In fact once on a winter flight, I knew a lot of people fit large down coats up in the bins, so I reached out willingly for a gate tag and the agent basically refused and waved me and my little bag off!

I actually like to use the rolling tote on mainline flights as well, I can choose to hang at the lounge and avoid the gate scrum for priority boarding. I'll board late and if there's no space towards the front where my seat is, I can put it underseat and my laptop bag overhead. But almost always there's an odd shaped space towards the front bins - esp spanning two consecutive doors where the bins connect but have some supports, where I can shove it in...
Are you are talking about the rolling totes in both cases, Delsey and Crew 9? Specifically which Delsey is it? Thanks.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; May 21, 2014 at 6:50 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Every time I see this post, I want to post a link to something like this. You want the smallest rolling luggage, you got it!

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Agree... always bugs me too

Title should read: What is the largest rolling bag that fits in a CRJ or ERJ overhead?
Believe me, as the OP, I wish mightily that Flyertalk allowed some way to edit a post title. Unfortunately, once you post it, the thread title is there for life.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Believe me, as the OP, I wish mightily that Flyertalk allowed some way to edit a post title. Unfortunately, once you post it, the thread title is there for life.
Moderators can change thread titles. Just use the button in the lower left corner of the first post and state the desired change.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:34 am

My Mountainsmith Boarding Pass has fit in every CRJ I have ever been on. The GA will usually give me a tag to gate check it, but I always carry on and it has always fit in 175s, 200s, 700s and 900s. Not sure if they still make the bag as it is going on at least 8-10 years old and has held up amazingly well for its age and usage.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Are you are talking about the rolling totes in both cases, Delsey and Crew 9? Specifically which Delsey is it? Thanks.
Yes, the rolling totes.

First off, Delsey's product naming conventions suck, as they have a lot of similar models with similar names, and different websites take liberties with the names. But the model I use is the Delsey Helium Superlite Spinner Rolling Tote (model 28718) - while neither superlite nor a spinner, it is a 2-wheel roller. It's rigid to 8" depth on the wheel end, but can taper to 6" on the handle end when fairly empty (of which really only 4" is truly rigid). So you get full side protection in the lower compartment while the upper compartment can really squish if needed. It's not expensive, and it's not perfect - for example, when packed full, it'll usually topple over when I have my brief bag on top over the handle, so I have to lean it against a chair. When really loaded down with another bag, the frame and wheels bow out making it much harder to roll. But works enough for me.

Easily confused with other similar Delsey models, e.g. Helium 3.0 Fusion Trolley Tote I bought even cheaper. Similar size but lesser material, rigid to 8" on wheel end down to 4" in the middle and no rigid frame at all towards the handle end, no rigid protection really so I have not used it.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=thegasguru;22725573]Taking my Aeronaut on those little CRJs always cracks me up. I can pack, like, a small apartment building inside my Aeronaut. Yet, since it has no wheels and I've got it on like a backpack - the GAs never say a peep. I am frequently amazed at how huge it looks when fully packed, yet I always manage to squish it into the overhead bin of those little CRJs. And I've stated before: bin space on the little bitty CRJs is often pretty easy to come by, since so many other travelers had to gate check there roll(not)aboards.

I'm also on record for embracing a "hybrid" approach to 1-Bag travel. My Aeronaut (or Tristar or Western Flyer, depending on the trip) is my main bag, and my B&R U116 accompanies. Yes, it's technically a 2-bag approach. But - Those 2 bags can ALWAYS fit overhead of any jet, so I get the advantage of the 1-Bag method (ie, never having to gate check), but I still also get the advantage of wheeled travel (ie, not throwing my back out).

Late to this discussion but question--does the aeronaut have a strap that allows you to put it over a rollerbag? thanks in advance!!
Old May 23, 2014, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=nlkm9;22909718]
Taking my Aeronaut on those little CRJs always cracks me up. I can pack, like, a small apartment building inside my Aeronaut. Yet, since it has no wheels and I've got it on like a backpack - the GAs never say a peep. I am frequently amazed at how huge it looks when fully packed, yet I always manage to squish it into the overhead bin of those little CRJs. And I've stated before: bin space on the little bitty CRJs is often pretty easy to come by, since so many other travelers had to gate check there roll(not)aboards.

I'm also on record for embracing a "hybrid" approach to 1-Bag travel. My Aeronaut (or Tristar or Western Flyer, depending on the trip) is my main bag, and my B&R U116 accompanies. Yes, it's technically a 2-bag approach. But - Those 2 bags can ALWAYS fit overhead of any jet, so I get the advantage of the 1-Bag method (ie, never having to gate check), but I still also get the advantage of wheeled travel (ie, not throwing my back out).
----------------

Late to this discussion but question--does the aeronaut have a strap that allows you to put it over a rollerbag? thanks in advance!!
I'm assuming you mean some sort of sleeve that fits over the telescoping handle of a rolling tote. No it does not. What I do is put one of these commercial twisty ties on the handle of the backpack bag (Aeronaut, Tristar, Western Flyer, etc). Then, when I sit the Aeronaut on top of the U116, I simply make a quick twist around the telescoping handle. Takes literally one second to do, and it works like a charm.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=thegasguru;22915435]
Originally Posted by nlkm9

I'm assuming you mean some sort of sleeve that fits over the telescoping handle of a rolling tote. No it does not. What I do is put one of these commercial twisty ties on the handle of the backpack bag (Aeronaut, Tristar, Western Flyer, etc). Then, when I sit the Aeronaut on top of the U116, I simply make a quick twist around the telescoping handle. Takes literally one second to do, and it works like a charm.
If you're interested, you can see what my arrangement looks like in this post.

I used an orange tie to make it easy to visualize, but in real life I use a black tie, which you can't really see unless you're looking for it.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Moderators can change thread titles. Just use the button in the lower left corner of the first post and state the desired change.
Sorry I haven't taken this advice sooner, but...it worked. Booyah to the new thread title!!
Old May 23, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=thegasguru;22915469]

If you're interested, you can see what my arrangement looks like in this post.

I used an orange tie to make it easy to visualize, but in real life I use a black tie, which you can't really see unless you're looking for it.
And at the risk of being repetitive, here is a rather detailed post of my luggage philosophy. All the benefits of 1-bag travel (no checked luggage! no waiting on checked luggage! no lost luggage!), without the disadvantage of 1-bag travel (having to physically carry your stuff).
Old May 25, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I haven't flown specifically on a DASH8, but based on my experience with almost all the other stupid Barbie Jets, I feel pretty confident that it should fit overhead. Remember, you often have to slide it into the overhead bin with the wheels facing out for it to fit.
Had 2 flights on a DASH8 the other day. The bag fits perfectly both wheels in and out - with room to spare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.