Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by ilsie
I doubt I will ever buy another Tumi again.

Also, if you're wondering why I only have one post, not a shill or a troll. I just started a sales job in October after 13 years behind a desk, which is the big reason I got the Tumi in the first place. Came here to see if I could find some kind of executive customer service contact or email address.
Welcome to FT! Hope you stick around and join the family!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I got the Tumi McNair leather brief in October, and in 3 months (January) the strap buckle started detaching itself from the bag.

I returned it to the store for repair two weeks ago and their repair center still hasn't logged it. When I asked where it is or when I'd get it back, they basically told me to f off, in so many words.

Good looking- yep.
Durable- nope.
"World class service"- nope.

Also, if you're wondering why I only have one post, not a shill or a troll. I just started a sales job in October after 13 years behind a desk, which is the big reason I got the Tumi in the first place. Came here to see if I could find some kind of executive customer service contact or email address.

Welcome to Flyertalk, sorry it was under these circumstances.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:42 pm

I got a little surprise money awhile back and decided to treat myself to a Tumi vapor. I can't stand it. The finish is very poor for a bag of this price. I would not buy another bag from them again.

Last edited by 19103_aa; Feb 5, 2012 at 8:49 am Reason: wrong model name
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
I got a little surprise money awhile back and decided to treat myself to a Tumi velocity. I can't stand it. The finish is very poor for a bag of this price. I would not buy another bag from them again.
That's a Tumi bag? I thought that was an Eagle Creek line.

So far, super-happy with my Tumi Vapor pieces.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Welcome to Flyertalk, sorry it was under these circumstances.
Thanks! I plan on sticking around, the forums have already proven to be quite helpful.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:28 pm

I got the Tumi McNair leather brief in October, and in 3 months (January) the strap buckle started detaching itself from the bag.

I returned it to the store for repair two weeks ago and their repair center still hasn't logged it. When I asked where it is or when I'd get it back, they basically told me to f off, in so many words.

Good looking- yep.
Durable- nope.
"World class service"- nope.

Update- I reached out to the Tumi store, and they got the repair center to expedite my bag repair. Supposedly, they repaired it today and are shipping tomorrow.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:39 pm

Update- I reached out to the Tumi store, and they got the repair center to expedite my bag repair. Supposedly, they repaired it today and are shipping tomorrow.
Yay. I also pinged Tumi on Twitter for ya letting them know about your post.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta DMD;1MM;SPG Lifetime Platinum; Marriott Platinum;Avis Chairman; National Executive VIP
Originally Posted by deirdre
I sincerely doubt warranty service is enough to deplete parts stock. It's more probable that the unpleasantness with the tsunami last march and the flooding, etc. more recently have caused supply chain problems for a number of companies and they're just currently short on stock. Smaller companies have had to defer some parts manufacture because the reduced number of factories led to higher short-term costs, thus, less expensive to defer.
Deirdre,

I checked back with Travel Pro today when I got back to the US. Spoke to a very pleasant, informed customer service rep who stated there was a problem with the handles with the Crew 8 22" ; they have had several failures, including mine, where it sheared in the same spot; and that they have corrected the issue and now have replacements back in stock.

They also sent my handle Fed Ex today, prior to my call, for arrival tomorrow. I am impressed - they acknowledged an issue, fixed it and and expedited my replacement handle. Hopefully this will not happen again to my bag or the bag I gave as a gift.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:01 pm

Ahh, so they may have needed to look into issues in manufacturing. I remember when I had to do that for another employer once, fun times.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by palmetto86
I was joking around, but in a way, I think it is a somewhat accurate description. In the U.S. at least, there is a common airport stereotype that I classify as the "douche" business traveler.

I'm certainly not the first person on FT to talk about this type of airport specimen. You can spot them waiting an hour before a flight standing in the first class boarding line with Blue-Tooth headsets on, suits w/ no ties, first class ticket proudly displayed in shirt pocket, and oftentimes a Tumi bag.

While I don't think I fall into this category of Tumi bag owners, I do feel like many, many of this "type" carry Tumi bags. The bags are expensive, they do look nice, and tacitly say "look at me," so it's easy to understand why the "douche" business traveler is drawn to the brand.
This is an amazingly humorous assessment! I have thought this very thing but never publicly shared it. Thanks for the chuckle!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
I switched over the last 5 years to all BR bags. I think my favorite set up is @ work Medium Slim Rolling Brief as it is contoured enough to be used as a foot rest and it forces you to not overpack your roll aboard. I match this up with the Baseline organized vertical tote (may be discontinued but still avail via retailers). It's a great pair that can get me through a 3-4 day work trip.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by deirdre
That's a Tumi bag? I thought that was an Eagle Creek line.

So far, super-happy with my Tumi Vapor pieces.
you're correct, sorry it was vapor. very poor finish on it. very disappointed.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Don't forget the copy of "Men's Health" magazine. I still get a chuckle out of that post when I think about it.
Ahhh yesss and the overabundance of cologne.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I bought a Travel Pro last October. I've had it on fewer than 15 trips of various lengths. A zipper snapped in half this morning. The bag was not overpacked, there was nothing to hang up the zipper. It just snapped leaving a jagged edge.

Grrr!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by In2ishn
I bought a Travel Pro last October. I've had it on fewer than 15 trips of various lengths. A zipper snapped in half this morning. The bag was not overpacked, there was nothing to hang up the zipper. It just snapped leaving a jagged edge.

Grrr!
Sorry to hear that. 15 trips is a short life

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.