Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

best lightweight travel friendly gym shoes (men)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best lightweight travel friendly gym shoes (men)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Xericx
New Balance Minimus. Better than Vibrams, same feel and fit, but they definitely feel and look sturdier.

I took them to europe for 2 weeks as my second pair of shoes, lots of walking, even to the "La Tomatina" tomato fight, they were great for running around. Sockless, took up barely any room and a bit more palatable to wear than Vibrams (I do have 2 pair of vibrams).

http://www.newbalance.com/nb-minimus/
Along these lines, has anyone here tried the New Balance MT101's? They seem like a nice compromise between my heftier runners, and the Minimus/Fivefingers route.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by xtal
Along these lines, has anyone here tried the New Balance MT101's? They seem like a nice compromise between my heftier runners, and the Minimus/Fivefingers route.
In the other thread, I praised the MT101's in particular: super lightweight, very collapsable heel box, unstructured uppers. They look more like normal shoes than a lot of the others. I've been running regularly in them about 3 miles, and have not had any problems. Just did a 5k faster than I thought I would. Overall I am very happy with them, and would recommend them for both travel purposes and for general fitness use.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-shoes.html
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by fanger
In the other thread, I praised the MT101's in particular: super lightweight, very collapsable heel box, unstructured uppers. They look more like normal shoes than a lot of the others. I've been running regularly in them about 3 miles, and have not had any problems. Just did a 5k faster than I thought I would. Overall I am very happy with them, and would recommend them for both travel purposes and for general fitness use.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-shoes.html
Thanks for your review. I think I'll try a pair. Was the 5K a road race? I tend to run mostly on pavement, and am a bit concerned that the trail lugs will be uncomfortable, or will wear down quickly. Any thoughts on this?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Check out Nike prestos! They're comfy, light and stylish as well!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by xtal
Thanks for your review. I think I'll try a pair. Was the 5K a road race? I tend to run mostly on pavement, and am a bit concerned that the trail lugs will be uncomfortable, or will wear down quickly. Any thoughts on this?
Road race. These shoes are more comfortable than the Merrell Trail Glove shoes I got recently for comparison. The lugs are not at all uncomfortable. I suspect that they will wear down more quickly than the carbon rubber soles of the Trail Glove and other Vibram soles, but if that is true, I still think it's a good compromise.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, AMX Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
I use wrestling shoes. They are very flat and have good ankle support.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance (Gold), HHonors (Diamond), Emerald Club (Exec Elite), SPG Plat, Clubcarlson Gold
Thought I'd come back and give an update.

I finally purchased a Vibrams five fingers - and I like it too. Been using it at the gym - very comfortable, light weight, and will be perfect as I travel.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
There are 2 things wrong with the Vibram Five Fingers imho 1) it sounds like a cheap vibrator 2) you have to have the right sort of toes - which I don't but I do have 5 of them !

Why is it "fingers" and not "toes" anyway ?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: *
[Bump] Was wondering if any updates on this topic? What gym shoes are one-baggers packing these days?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by ani90
[Bump] Was wondering if any updates on this topic? What gym shoes are one-baggers packing these days?
Almost 6 years later from my last post on this thread, and I still travel with the same running/gym shoes. Nike Free all they way. The best part: they've only gotten lighter! About three years ago, I switched from regular Nike Frees to the Flyknit Frees. They are comfortable, fold in on themselves, and weigh nothing. They also come in great colors. You can find them cheaper elsewhere, but here they are on the Nike site: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/fr.../pgid-12011507
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Nike Free are a really good choice for most people. Very lightweight and compress well. Also, they have a modest heel-toe drop, which is comfortable for most people. These are the shoes I typically recommend to my colleagues who are looking for a thinner/lighter option for packing.

I wear Merrell Trail Glove 3 currently, which are a minimal shoe (little to no cushion) with zero heel-toe drop (i.e., completely flat). Not for everyone, although these, too, compress almost completely flat and weight very little. If you go with a truly minimal shoe, be aware that you can experience calf and foot pain until your feet/legs adjust to them.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by gobluetwo

I wear Merrell Trail Glove 3 currently, which are a minimal shoe (little to no cushion) with zero heel-toe drop (i.e., completely flat). Not for everyone, although these, too, compress almost completely flat and weight very little. If you go with a truly minimal shoe, be aware that you can experience calf and foot pain until your feet/legs adjust to them.
I was looking too at Merrell Trial GLove - there is a trial glove 3 and trial glove 4 - is there a difference that makes 3 more packable than 4 or doesn't matter?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:16 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Nike Free are a really good choice for most people. Very lightweight and compress well. Also, they have a modest heel-toe drop, which is comfortable for most people. These are the shoes I typically recommend to my colleagues who are looking for a thinner/lighter option for packing.

I'm fully converted to the swoosh and the flyknits work for me. Pack my flyknits and can run and/or do fitness with them and wear my dress shoes.

Helps that family member works at corporate HQ, finding everything turning to swoosh
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ani90
I was looking too at Merrell Trial GLove - there is a trial glove 3 and trial glove 4 - is there a difference that makes 3 more packable than 4 or doesn't matter?
The Trail Glove 4 were just released this spring, I believe, while I've been wearing the 3s for about a year, so haven't had a chance to try them on - maybe next time I swing by REI. Given what I'm seeing about the TG4s, the upper should be just as soft and packable as the 3 (and the original Trail Gloves, which I also still have lying around).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.