Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 month Rimowa Topas 29" review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Somehow, I missed the part about returning the insurance claim payout.
Not sure how I'm suppose to do it. Perhaps you have expertise in this matter?

It's not I intended to get it fixed. It just happened they felt wanted to try. I didn't think it'd rifle your feathers.

If it makes you feel better I offered to send back the broken product, but they told me to dispose it as I pleased.

Thanks for not prejudging.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:43 pm

It was merely an observation.

You have now fully explained your insurance claim and repairs.

For the record I once tore my climbing jacket as part of a set from Patagonia. I contacted Patagonia and offered to post the jacket to them for repairs in California, USA. I was told not to worry about it as they were sending a new one to me.

My son took the ripped jacket to a tailor and had it repaired. It is now his property. Today, when we climb and the weather turns foul, we are both protected in Patagonia gear.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by jetsethotel
Hi dko3tgk and Raph (or any other Rimowa owners):

Just wondering how your Rimowa luggage is holding up now that it's been a year of travel?

Did you purchase another (larger) Rimowa piece too? If so, which one and how is that holding up?

If you can provide me an update, that'll be great since I'm in the market for new luggage. Considering either the larger Topas or Limbo suitcases.

Thanks.
I bought a 32" Topas this past November 2014. Since the Germany website loophole is closed i bought it in Manhattan at a luggage shop. If you look at older posts on Rimowa, I used the price matching technique, where I needed to pay cash and was told I wasn't officially allowed to be sold the case at that price.
So my 29" Topas from Koffer24 was made in Germany, this new one purchased in the US is made in Canada. To me it doesn't seem as robust as my German made 29" The corner bumpers, are alot thinner. The shell itself seems thinner too. The hinges seem to made of a softer metal. When I flip the top over to close it, it doesn't line up sometimes because of the soft hinges. My old 29" always lined up as soon as I flipped it on top. As with my 29" my corner bumper rivets don't last long. I already lost 2 corner rivets over my past two trips. Maybe Rimowa should add a silicone shock absorber under the corners to help with this. I lose corner bumper rivets on almost every trip. The metal of the shell itself seems thinner and more flexible than my German 29".
I wanted a 4 wheel version, since my old 29" was two wheel. Especially when on long lines at immigration. You need to maneuver bags through the serpentine rope line. This is a positive thing as some airports have long immigration lines. However with the 4 wheel, I've had the bag roll away on me on curbs, or steep streets in San Francisco. Or when using the add a bag with a heavy bag, the bag tips easily. 2 wheels is very hard to tip over at all.
I'm very happy with it, and use it alot. I just don't know if I made a mistake by not getting a German made one since it just doesn't feel as solid as my German made 29" Topas.
Oh my biggest pet peeve is that when you have a full bag and you are rolling along, if you hit thick carpet, uneven ground or cracks in the sidewalk, the bag loves to catch and fall to the ground. It's annoying and embarrassing. Two wheel bags don't have this problem.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
I received my 29" Topas a year ago on my birthday. I loved the looks of it. On its maiden overseas river cruise, the handle got bent in transit, and the cruise staff had to cut it off as it would not retract no matter what we did. It also was dented. The store back in PA where we purchased it had it repaired. Since then it is dented even more, and I struggle every time I want to close it. I have three Salsa Deluxe bags that I love, and I wish I could exchange this Topas for a larger Salsa Deluxe, but no one at the store seems to care I am so disappointed, and worse, I am afraid to take it anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.