Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage lock

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Luggage lock

Does anyone have some thoughts on Lewis N. Clark Triple Security Cable Lock? As I am sure most people have seen the video on someone opening luggage zippers with a pen or other pointed objects and covering up this action by simply running the zipper back over the opening. While this luggage lock doesn't prevent that it will make it difficult, at least to me, for a thief to cover their tracks because without breaking the lock or cutting off your luggage handle because the lock limits the zipper movement.

I also think it may be useful in locking your luggage together or as in the pictures on the Amazon link to an immovable object. I could also see it useful in securing a bag /purse to a chair while eating or at an internet cafe while sightseeing.

Shak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5iTM...eature=related

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...FK6C3B670XX02V
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Shak51
Does anyone have some thoughts on Lewis N. Clark Triple Security Cable Lock? As I am sure most people have seen the video on someone opening luggage zippers with a pen or other pointed objects and covering up this action by simply running the zipper back over the opening. While this luggage lock doesn't prevent that it will make it difficult, at least to me, for a thief to cover their tracks because without breaking the lock or cutting off your luggage handle because the lock limits the zipper movement.

I also think it may be useful in locking your luggage together or as in the pictures on the Amazon link to an immovable object. I could also see it useful in securing a bag /purse to a chair while eating or at an internet cafe while sightseeing.

Shak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5iTM...eature=related

TSA will cut it off or Baggage thief will cut it off. No real security provided.
As for securing luggage for quick runs to the bathroom or naps? Cable is way way to short, the entire unit is no more then 7" maybe 8" top to bottom...
The Eagle Creek Eagle Creek TSA 3 Dial Lock and Cable has a 50" cable which allows for looping around handles and bench/table arm/leg whatever.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for you thoughts but this is a TSA approved lock so the TSA should be able to open it without cutting it off.

As far a luggage thieves go I am sure no amount of security would stop a determined person but only offers a deterrent.

I remember growing up at a time when no one locked their houses or cars but one day I believe in the early 60's while we all were away someone did break into our house. My parents thought this was a fluke and continued not to lock the doors but a short time later our house got broken into again . After that all of us had to carry a key to the house and that one act was a big enough deterrent that it didn't happen again even though a burglar only had to break a small pane of glass next to the lock to open the door.

In the video it shows this lock locking both the main compartment and outside zipper to the luggage handle so I thought if I had one of these locks on both my carry-on and checked bag I could attach them together handle to handle in a pinch. I like your idea of the cable too. I may get both.

Thanks again,
Shak
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You are assuming the thief just doesn't have a TSA set of keys.

Personally, I don't see the value of this at all. It scream "There's something in this bag worth stealing, open me.

I also don't think that second loop is anywhere near big enough to attach the bag to anything.

Anybody who trusts a TSA lock to protect anything has not read this report on just how easy it is to bypass them

http://download.security.org/tsa_lug...cks_report.pdf

I am neither a locksmith or a thief, but I was able to open a TSA 2 lock in a couple of minutes with a piece of plastic cut from a soda bottle.

Last edited by cordelli; Sep 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm
Old Sep 4, 2011, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Mike that was a really interesting article about the vulnerability of luggage locks but I may look at things a little different. I think there is more to luggage security then what goes on after I check my luggage. Many thieves are opportunists and when your attention may be diverted is the time they will strike. At the turnstile for instant since both my carry on and 25 inch bag have handles on the side I could use this lock to secure them together while looking my spouses luggage while my attention is not focused on the luggage already retrieved. With both luggage tethered it would be difficult for someone to take one and run. The same would hold true in a restaurant where I could tether a bag or suitcase easily to a chair. I think if you read the first review at the Amazon site you will see that not all thieves are behind the scenes. A pilot complained that someone either mistakenly took his bag or stole it (he didn't say he got it back) out of an overhead bin and he said he was posting a picture on how he secured his bag to the overhead bin with this lock. If you look at the group of pictures at the top of the page I believe you'll see it.

Shak

Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:36 am

Thanks for this suggestion. It made me remember I have a small lock with a cable. Dirt cheap. It's just long enough to secure my carry-on. No TSA thingy on this one, but since it's carry-on, I'll be close enough to open it if they demand to hand search it at security, and nobody else has any business opening it.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Shak51
Mike that was a really interesting article about the vulnerability of luggage locks but I may look at things a little different.

I think it's a useless waste of money, and you would be better with a bike or computer lock. If you feel that it will fit your needs, then go ahead and get one. For me it would be a total waste of money. If it's useful for you, then it's not as waste of money.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriot Plat Prem, Hyatt Diamond, AA EP
302 days on the road last year, no locks, no problem.

i do not think locks are necessary - however the one you are looking at looks good, but I wouldn't use on regardless.

Good luck in your travels!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
I think it's a useless waste of money, and you would be better with a bike or computer lock. If you feel that it will fit your needs, then go ahead and get one. For me it would be a total waste of money. If it's useful for you, then it's not as waste of money.
thanks for the link. I was thinking that these locks weren't very useful since it is probably pretty easy to make TSA key to use improperly and that report confirmed my thoughts.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I have two of these and use them.

Whilst I have nothing of real value in my bag, I have a lot of real inconvenience if my chargers, cables, notes, etc. are stolen en-route to a programme. (And yes, if there were room in my carry-on, I would take them with me on-board).

I had my luggage damaged a couple of years ago by a thief who took advantage of a small unlocked zipper compartment - they unzipped it and cut through the lining inside the pocket to access the main compartment. Nothing of value, so nothing taken. However, the bag was wrecked and I didn't discover the attempted theft until repacking sometime later.

I always lock my bag - if they have to struggle to get in, they may just move to an easier target.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:50 am

At the local bag store today, I saw a TSA lock with a wire. The wire was quite small, possibly smaller than mine. You might be able to hook it onto something other than the zippers, but it looked too small to be of much use.

Anyway, looks like the wire type lock is gaining ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.