Wiki Posts
Search

Attractive carry on bags?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:32 am
tkn
Original Poster

Attractive carry on bags?

Why is it we have a choice between basically the standard Tumi/BR case in leather or nylon or the even uglier Red Oxx stuff for travel?

Is there nobody out there making high end, nice looking bags that are actually designed for business travel? I'd love something like the Dunhill Bladon 48 hour, but that with 1) a TSA compliant laptop compartment, 2) proper straps for easy bundle packing and 3) the panel to slide over an extendable handle.

Any suggestions along those lines? Something that isn't overtly boxy like the Tumi leather bags but doesn't look like a bike messenger would carry it either... Something classy...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by tkn
Why is it we have a choice between basically the standard Tumi/BR case in leather or nylon or the even uglier Red Oxx stuff for travel?

Is there nobody out there making high end, nice looking bags that are actually designed for business travel? I'd love something like the Dunhill Bladon 48 hour, but that with 1) a TSA compliant laptop compartment, 2) proper straps for easy bundle packing and 3) the panel to slide over an extendable handle.

Any suggestions along those lines? Something that isn't overtly boxy like the Tumi leather bags but doesn't look like a bike messenger would carry it either... Something classy...
I have spent hours looking on-line for the same thing. I'm finding either messenger bags which have no room for clothes or carryons without a separate padded laptop compartment or panel/strap arrangement that permits stacking on roller bag handle.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:19 am

+1

I'm looking for the same thing. I have a great carry on bag, but it does not a) attach to handle of roller and b) have a dedicated ipad/laptop spot.

I carry still carry the duffel and a tumi brief... if I could just carry 1 item, that would be great.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
+1

I have been looking online for a classy briefcase that can slip over an extendable handle. Nothing that works so far.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: *G
she'll make one to your design:

http://www.aprilinparis.us/
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by mander
+1

I have been looking online for a classy briefcase that can slip over an extendable handle. Nothing that works so far.
Hard to recommend something without knowing your style, but what about www.knomo.com ? I swear by the Warwick; the panel that you slip over the suitcase handle has a zip at the bottom so you can choose to use it as a pocket if you wish.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:41 pm

I'm looking, too. I had a great black nylon tote bought from Sierra Trading Post that did not have either that sporty gear look, or the all business look. It could be a beach bag, tote stuff to a Ritz Carlton wedding, or carry a laptop. But it's gone missing, so sad.

The best replacement so far found is a Travelsmith nylon bag by Sondra Roberts. It is shaped like a Longchamps tote and has the good rolled leather straps but it is larger and has two useful and spacious outside zip pockets, a zip pocket and some slip pockets inside, and of course it top zips closed. No special laptop pocket. The bottom is 7 x 14 and reinforced, but the top is over 20 inches, so this is a big bag. It will fold flat and it weighs next to nothing, but no sleeve and would not stand up unless full. Very smart looking.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Hard to recommend something without knowing your style, but what about www.knomo.com ? I swear by the Warwick; the panel that you slip over the suitcase handle has a zip at the bottom so you can choose to use it as a pocket if you wish.
That's a briefcase, not a carryon. I can't tell for certain but it looks like the main compartment is too small for my needs.

The search continues, but thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by follonica2:17023680
That's a briefcase, not a carryon. I can't tell for certain but it looks like the main compartment is too small for my needs.

The search continues, but thanks.
Good luck in your search, but I was actually replying to Mander.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:13 pm
tkn
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
she'll make one to your design:

http://www.aprilinparis.us/
I've thought about using her... I remember stopping by the shop in SF a couple of times with my wife.

Checked out the Belstaff Tour bag, Aspinal Weekender, Brothers Bray, Billykirk, Dunhill, several Yoshida/Porter bags (nylon), Jack Spade Waxwear Duffle, Killspencer, a couple of Mulhollands, Mulberry Henry Overnight...

All without luck. I may just pick up one of them and have a panel sewn on to go over the suitcase handle - problem will be matching/complementing the leather. I may reach out to Billykirk and see if they could add that panel to one of their bags if nothing else shows up.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by tkn
I've thought about using her... I remember stopping by the shop in SF a couple of times with my wife.

Checked out the Belstaff Tour bag, Aspinal Weekender, Brothers Bray, Billykirk, Dunhill, several Yoshida/Porter bags (nylon), Jack Spade Waxwear Duffle, Killspencer, a couple of Mulhollands, Mulberry Henry Overnight...

All without luck. I may just pick up one of them and have a panel sewn on to go over the suitcase handle - problem will be matching/complementing the leather. I may reach out to Billykirk and see if they could add that panel to one of their bags if nothing else shows up.

saddleback has some large and beefy bags, though i don't buy into the owner's over-the-top schtick

the idea to add on a strap panel sounds good, and i think a mismatch in color/texture gives it a customized look, esp if you're after the distressed/worn-in/patinated aesthetics.

of course, you could always strip and redye everything had you wanted to match tones perfectly....
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:52 pm

Good luck in your search, but I was actually replying to Mander.
Oops, Sorry.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:52 pm

also: filson
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
1) I once was worried about the aesthetics of Red Oxx as well. Then I saw their bags in person. Much better looking in person than in photos.

2) Have you taken a look at the Bric's Pininfarina line? Legendary design firm and its take on already good looking, high end Italian stuff.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:02 pm

The problem is that there are only two main groups of people in the world: those who prioritize function and those who prioritize pretty.

For those who want both (a small group because those are usually very intelligent people and the majority is not very intelligent) the options are very few and they are all rather expensive.

If you want a no-compromise bag, you basically have to design it yourself and have it made my a competent saddler. That'll set you back at least $1000 at Glaser and double that at Beatrice or Serge Amoruso, both Hermes trained. Vuitton, Goyard and Hermes all still make custom designs and one-ofs but let's not even talk about those prices.

Till

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.