Search

Osprey Packs Porter 46 Review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by ugadawg69
Is the Porter 46 and 65 carry on size?
The 65 is way too big for carry-on.

The 46 is fine in general - watch low cost airlines (at least in Europe). For easyjet, it just fits, and not if stuff totally full. Might not be good for RyanAir, but I don't know, since I no longer fly with them.

I've used it (46) for carry-on on SAS (transatlantic and UK-DK) and Easyjet (UK-DK) no questions asked.

Regards,
DanishFlyer
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Was just @ REI's fall sale today and noticed these interesting bags.
I simply love Osprey. I know they're made overseas but the company's based here in Colorado. I have an Argon 70 and it's been a workhorse on extended wilderness backpacking trips. Other friends have Aether's and Atmos.

If this carry-on in any way approaches the quality of those other backpacks, I'll be happy. eBags is another Colorado company and they currently have the Porter 46 [all colors] for $74. And w/ 4 miles/$ through the USAir storefront = not too shabby! ----->>>> Shanghai trip report / review to follow.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by fevercity
Was just @ REI's fall sale today and noticed these interesting bags.
I simply love Osprey. I know they're made overseas but the company's based here in Colorado. I have an Argon 70 and it's been a workhorse on extended wilderness backpacking trips. Other friends have Aether's and Atmos.

If this carry-on in any way approaches the quality of those other backpacks, I'll be happy. eBags is another Colorado company and they currently have the Porter 46 [all colors] for $74. And w/ 4 miles/$ through the USAir storefront = not too shabby! ----->>>> Shanghai trip report / review to follow.
I have had mine (46) for almost two years now. I've used it as carry-on for flights, as hold luggage on coach trips, it's been to camp with me, and to visit friends and family, even a school trip. So far, absolutely no issues with quality or usage (except access to the outer flap pocket when strapped closed is a pain, and it is a bit annoying to pull a laptop out for security, but I knew that going in).

Osprey is fast becoming my go-to brand for back packs of any kind :-)

DanishFlyer
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Ended up getting the Farpoint 40.
I like having the internal frame and willing to give up a little space for more support.
Especially for an upcoming Asia trip. We'll see.....
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I just got the new Osprey at REI, which seems to be a new model more expensive that the old one at $130. It has D rings again and a bit more organizational features. Unfortunately, neither Osprey nor REI have decent reviews or detailed pictures, but see it here. http://www.rei.com/product/870903/os...46-travel-pack

The bag looks pretty solid, but I just test packed it at home and I don't find it comfortable. I think I'll return it.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:25 pm

had 2 hand carries w/me when I went to Tokyo/Manila back in early 2014. 1 backpack was all camera gear...and the other was a greenish porter 46 backpack....

En route back from NRT to IAD via Incheon, I did the luggage storage at NRT and transferred change of clothes and toiletries to the porter 46 bag......worked like a charm.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Super old thread, but looks like the Porter 46 evolved again with tablet/laptop storage and more organization.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:48 am

bumperoooo!!!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
If they put the laptop compartment against the back, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
If they put the laptop compartment against the back, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.
Yeah, me too (and I have the old one already!).
Putting the laptop sleeve under the compression straps is not a huge improvement over the old bag - I still need to undo the straps and open the zipper. Same thing.

What a shame - I got all excited there :-)

- DanishFlyer
(still loving my Porter 46)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Does this bag fit underneath the seat?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Does this bag fit underneath the seat?
No, it's about the size of a standard roller bag.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:20 am

I do recall getting a compliment of how 'small' my backpack was when I was en route from MNL to NRT in 2014.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I have the one with the outward facing laptop compartment and I agree - I just wish it was on the inside so I would feel a little more concern about putting stuff in there when riding on a train, etc., with it facing away from me. I do love the bag though. It's *almost* perfect.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Owner of a Porter 46 who somewhat regrets the purchase. I got it for a good price (around $90), but I don't use it very much because I find it SUPER uncomfortable as a backpack. As a result, I just use the (nicely) padded handles, but I can't help but feel like I paid 90 bucks for a (really nice) duffel bag.

I did buy a shoulder strap to help the situation, and it works nicely attached to the D-rings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.