Osprey Packs Porter 46 Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Osprey Packs Porter 46 Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: EuroBonus
I also purchased this bag about 6 months ago, specifically to use on carry-on-only trips.

I have used it on 4 3-day weekend scout trips abroad, with uniforms, full waterproofs, spare shoes/boots, and clean clothes for the trip home. I guess a weekend of camping takes about the same amount of gear for me as a 5-7 day trip to the city.

A few times I've used it as carry-on, with a regular suitcase checked in - I easily packed emergency spare clothing, toiletries, 15" laptop with charger, DSLR with extra lens in camerabag, waterproof jacket and various small bits and pieces, and it still compressed down to way smaller than the roll-aboards lots of other people were using.

I do love the bag. It JUST sneaks in under measurements (for most European airlines, at least), and one of my most used airlines have no weight restriction on handluggage. The other thankfully does not normally weigh, as long as you look like the bag weighs nothing - and the porter makes that pretty easy.

I do use the second set of female connectors for the buckles most of the time, I find them easy enough to get to. The top pocket is just for travel papers, liquids bag and stuff I immediately need. Definitely, stuffing this pocket puts you at very high risk of exceeding bag-height on European airlines, just saying.

It was on this forum that I first read about the Porter 46. I already had another Osprey hiking backpack, and I am totally pleased about my decision to get the Porter 46 (I got mine at REI while on vacation in the US, I've not seen them in Europe).
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Could this handle a spare pair of shoes for working out? Workout and spare shoes wreck a lot of my bestlaid packing plans.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by leland
Could this handle a spare pair of shoes for working out? Workout and spare shoes wreck a lot of my bestlaid packing plans.
Which - the bag? Sure, there is plenty of space in the bag, I bring short rubber boots to camp.

Or did you mean the top pocket? In that case, no, not regular adult size workout shoes.

What is your problem with packing workout shoes? Smell: double-bag. Space: I usually place them top-to-top (soles facing away from eachother) and bag together. Then they can be squashed a little bit.

In general I would not stuff them with "weird-looking" stuff (like small electronics), but stuffing with sock and the like should work no problem even through the x-ray.

DanishFlyer
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
I remember looking at this Porter 46 in person a few months ago and did not see a significant advantage over other bags I have, so I passed.

But it's on sale right now. Alas, if I wasn't suffering from severe bag overdose already, I might give it another look and try this bag out.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
I picked one of these up a month or two ago when they were on clearance at REI. Have only taken one trip with it but I do love the pack, and will be replacing my Eagle Creek Voyage with it.

However, I stopped by my local REI the other day and noticed that Osprey has come out with an "Updated" Porter. Wanted to let anyone know who is looking at this bag the differences I noticed:

-External document pocket on the flap has been removed.
-Internal mesh zippered space on the side of the bag has been removed.
-D rings for shoulder strap removed (big minus here).
-Secondary grab handles removed (the thin gray ones, not the main padded handles).
-minor cosmetic updates.
-Still $99 retail

For those who have the Daylite pack, do you think I could fit a DSLR with lens, iPad, NC headphones and a few other small items in it? More or less an in flight cabin bag?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by traveltex
I picked one of these up a month or two ago when they were on clearance at REI. Have only taken one trip with it but I do love the pack, and will be replacing my Eagle Creek Voyage with it.

However, I stopped by my local REI the other day and noticed that Osprey has come out with an "Updated" Porter. Wanted to let anyone know who is looking at this bag the differences I noticed:

-Secondary grab handles removed (the thin gray ones, not the main padded handles).
-minor cosmetic updates.
-Still $99 retail

For those who have the Daylite pack, do you think I could fit a DSLR with lens, iPad, NC headphones and a few other small items in it? More or less an in flight cabin bag?
I have the Daylite, so I brought it out and I put in it:
my 13" MacBook Pro
my Bose QC15 headphones in their case
my Nikon D40 DSLR with the 18-200 lens (and lens hood put on backwards)

There would be room for a FEW LITTLE items. Now, I put those in there without padding just to see fit for you. The two outside mesh things would hold your water bottle or a bag of treats or a bag of your connectors or some such thing. The little top zipper pocket holds my Oakley sunglasses in their big case and my keys. One other thing: while doing this, I discovered there is a padded back compartment that I think is meant for a hydration pack and back padding. My MacBook does fit in there, too. So, there's another place to put something. I'd just add some velcro to keep the compartment closed.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by slidergirl
I have the Daylite, so I brought it out and I put in it:
my 13" MacBook Pro
my Bose QC15 headphones in their case
my Nikon D40 DSLR with the 18-200 lens (and lens hood put on backwards)

There would be room for a FEW LITTLE items. Now, I put those in there without padding just to see fit for you. The two outside mesh things would hold your water bottle or a bag of treats or a bag of your connectors or some such thing. The little top zipper pocket holds my Oakley sunglasses in their big case and my keys. One other thing: while doing this, I discovered there is a padded back compartment that I think is meant for a hydration pack and back padding. My MacBook does fit in there, too. So, there's another place to put something. I'd just add some velcro to keep the compartment closed.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. I have an 18-200 on mine as well, and that is the bulkiest item usually.

The only other little items would be Oakleys in the same case and some saline solution, maybe a pack of gum, so it sounds like I should go ahead and get the Daylite as well. I actually like the way it attaches, much easier than the zipper most travel packs with day packs have.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:54 pm

And its a bit lighter
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:08 pm

-minor cosmetic updates.
-Still $99 retail

Interesting update, you can see it here:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...er_46__updated

It looks nice in photos and is a bit simpler/cleaner, but I'm not a fan of the reduced functionality. Pretty happy with the one I have. Those secondary handles do actually get used, as do the two pockets they removed. Especially the document pocket on the outside, I use that for a folder containing all my travel itineraries, etc. There is no document-sized pocket that exists in the new bag.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Thank you. I have an 18-200 on mine as well, and that is the bulkiest item usually.

The only other little items would be Oakleys in the same case and some saline solution, maybe a pack of gum, so it sounds like I should go ahead and get the Daylite as well. I actually like the way it attaches, much easier than the zipper most travel packs with day packs have.
You should be OK then. It's nice to be able to attach the pack to the bigger bag and hustle around! I never liked the zipper packs - they seem too small for what I wanted. The Daylite is a good all-around small daypack. I use it at home when I go out on day hikes.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:57 am

just received my Porter 46... the "updated" version...
lighter but smaller than expected...
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:42 pm

Also they have a new Farpoint 40 pack, looks really good:

Farpoint 40 has a highly capable backpack suspension, and its compact size ensures carry-on compliance on most any flight.

Main bag offers a panel-loading opening with lockable zippers, interior pocket and internal compression straps to cinch down contents.

Second front zip padded pocket carries your tablet or e-reader inside pack
Small front zip pocket with key fob keeps small items handy.

Dual front mesh pockets are ideal for water bottle, snacks and other quick-access items.

Also features removable sleeping pad straps and top and side haul handles to offer additional carrying options.

Zip away accessible, fixed unisex harness with adjustable sternum strap and rescue whistle buckle.

Zip away accessible, 3/4-length hipbelt with ErgoPull™ closure; ErgoPull enhances leverage for cinching, drawing tension along top and bottom, not through the center.

Spacer mesh back panel with LightWire frame promotes airflow and moisture dispersal during warm weather and heavy lugging.

The Osprey Farpoint 40 travel pack sports external compression straps that cinch down loads for jostle-free carrying.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:17 pm

Does it fit /work with US requirements?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:28 pm

i'll be flyling from iad to fll and am going to use my porter 46 for my hand carry. 1 ultrabook/powercord/smalll external hd, emergency change of clothes (tshirt, socks and underwear), and still deciding if i should bring both my canon drebel (with lenses and chargers) and/or sony nex 5 (again w/lenses and chargers).

i used this porter previously for a 9 day trip to lgb and it worked fine....wish my camera gear that i used at the irwindale speedway was not sooooo bulky tho........
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:40 pm

Is the Porter 46 and 65 carry on size?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.