Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Backpack w/ pass-thru slot

Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:59 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure if the product I'm looking for is like looking for a needle in a haystack, but it's worth a shot:

What I'm looking for is a laptop backpack that has a pass-through slot on the back allowing me to attach it to the handle of my rolling suitcase. To help matters farther (or complicate them more, depending how you look at it), it has to be available in/to Canada and not cost an arm and a leg (ie: <$100). Something along the lines of this bag but in backpack form:

I know MEC has a series of backpacks that are exactly what I am looking for, but I'm not too fond of their construction, nor of the fact I have to turn the backpack sideways to put it on the suitcase.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_lugga...ks/Iver-60187/

May also be some more on their site.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you can't find something, look for a backpack with cinch straps on the top, you can put a strap on those to attach to the handle. I know for example many northface bags have them.

Like the dark grey strap in this one

It's not the best solution, but with the right sized strap or bungee cord works great

Also some suggestions in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ge-handle.html
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Smile Another source

Check www.tombihn.com (no connection, just a happy customer)
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by firequall
I'm not sure if the product I'm looking for is like looking for a needle in a haystack, but it's worth a shot:

What I'm looking for is a laptop backpack that has a pass-through slot on the back allowing me to attach it to the handle of my rolling suitcase. To help matters farther (or complicate them more, depending how you look at it), it has to be available in/to Canada and not cost an arm and a leg (ie: <$100). Something along the lines of this bag but in backpack form:

I know MEC has a series of backpacks that are exactly what I am looking for, but I'm not too fond of their construction, nor of the fact I have to turn the backpack sideways to put it on the suitcase.
I have an older model of one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-ZLB...7638537&sr=8-2

that I like a lot. Not only does it slide over the handle of my larger bag, it clamshells open so your laptop is in a scanner friendly compartment. Have only had to take my laptop out once, and that was for a very thorough secondary screening in Frankfurt. My only complaint is that there is no water bottle holder.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Now the fun part of finding some of these around town begins. Hah.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Michilander
I have an older model of one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-ZLB...7638537&sr=8-2
I have this one and am very happy with it! Agreed on the water bottle holder though.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I simply pull middles of straps across forming "8" and slide the handle through both openings. Works great.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage
http://www.ebags.com/product/targus/...uctid=10007881

I have this one and it works great. Nice professional look too.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:56 pm

Backpack with trolley pass through

If you haven't bought anything yet-check out

everki.com. Their packs are fantastic. Extremely well made. Not cheap but worth every penny.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:51 pm

Be creative

Find a backpack that you like and go to a shoe repair shop to have them sew a sleeve on the back of the backpack. This might be an option for you.

Originally Posted by firequall
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Now the fun part of finding some of these around town begins. Hah.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:53 pm

Just realized this thread is from 2011

I responded to this thread then realized it was from 2011.....oops.

Originally Posted by Wright5469
If you haven't bought anything yet-check out

everki.com. Their packs are fantastic. Extremely well made. Not cheap but worth every penny.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Samsonite have a few of those in their range, they call it a 'smart sleeve'. I have the small Cityvibe in black and really like it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
Find a backpack that you like and go to a shoe repair shop to have them sew a sleeve on the back of the backpack. This might be an option for you.
This
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Anyone have a suggestion for a backpack with a pass-thru slot that looks nice?
I would like to use it for my laptop as well as clothes for 2-3 days for short trips. Ideally it would have some pockets on the outside to make passing through security easier.
It should have a laptop compartment, but I don't like the way most laptop backpacks look. I'd prefer a backpack that doesn't really look like you have a laptop inside.

I.e. I can't stand this design:

But I think this looks ok:

This is quite nice, too (but I think it lacks the pass-thru slot):

Any other suggestions?
I would actually be willing to trade a little bit of functionality for looks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.