Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Quality problems with Tumi Alpha luggage

Quality problems with Tumi Alpha luggage

Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:26 pm

Tumi Customer Reviews Not Published

I posted several weeks ago about problems with my large Tumi rolling garment bag. I posted the same message as stated above on their customer review section of their website for the Alpha large wheeled garment bag. There is nothing wrong with my review whatsoever and it was never posted by Tumi. My posting was reviewed by powerreviews.com on June 18 and I submitted a verification, still no posting on their website. Amazing that they can get away with that.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Derby
..Amazing that they can get away with that.
You cross posted your story here three times in your first three posts and got away with it too
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
Your experience is quite unusual - especially with zippers. Where did you purchase those bags? Could those be fakes by any chance?

IME tumi zippers are exceptionally strong (not sure about monogram stuff - never had one). I've had some issues with telescopic handle locking on one bag but this is somewhat expected after years of use.

Have you had any problems with the replacement bag Tumi sent you?
It depends tremendously on the type of Tumi bag. I've had a number of bags from Tumi with significant problems; the Alpha bag I have though is pretty solid and well made. The zipper pulls though go easily. You can just buy zipper pulls for a few dollars though.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
Originally Posted by Derby
I posted several weeks ago about problems with my large Tumi rolling garment bag. I posted the same message as stated above on their customer review section of their website for the Alpha large wheeled garment bag. There is nothing wrong with my review whatsoever and it was never posted by Tumi. My posting was reviewed by powerreviews.com on June 18 and I submitted a verification, still no posting on their website. Amazing that they can get away with that.
I wrote a very negative review on a piece of Tumi luggage and they posted it. Overall Tumi makes very stylish stuff but not all of it is robust.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
I bought a Alpha Bravo 22 from the Tumi Outlet Store in Santa Barbara.
I've taken it all over the world..US...south america...Europe.
Absolutely no problems and i've lugged it, stuffed it, kicked in, jammed it in every position possible.
the only complaint is the monograph. It's cheap looking and I continually need to push it back in...cheap glue I think.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:36 am

Stay Away From Tumi

I have several Tumis. The ones I bought almost 15 years ago still work well. The ones I bought 7 years ago began falling apart almost immediately. Zipper pulls and other pieces fell off without much effort. Then I had a serious problem with one on a trip. The suitcase was only 7 years old but Tumi no longer has parts. I was offered a $65 credit to replace a $900 suitcase. I ended up leaving the suitcase at the Tumi store that couldn't help me and had to buy a new suitcase. I'll never waste my money on Tumi again. I thought they would stand behind their product, a big mistake. Be smart don't waste your money like I did.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:57 pm

I don't know if you know but the Tumi models with numbers ending with D4 are what they call Generation 4.4. The newer ones have model numbers ending with DH. The primary difference between the two (as I see it) is the weight. The newer DH mdoels weight much less. In case of belreifcases they are as much as 30% lighter. (trust me I actual weigh bags-as you can see my earlier posts). So, the lighter weight comes from thinner inside fabric, less leather on the handles and shoulder straps, and overall lighter materials pretty much everywhere except the outer fabric. If I were you I'd save some money and go to a tumi outlet and purchase a gen 4 bag. My gen 4 briefcase is in it's 12th year.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Okay after 2-3 years of use my Tumi Alpha just broke.

It's a small issue: the inside elastic strap broke on one corner so I can no longer secure my stuff.

Not a big deal, but is this considered warranty or wear-and-tear? And if I bought it from their outlet store, do I still need a receipt? (I can't find mine obviously).

And if anyone knows, who do I contact in Shanghai about this?

Originally Posted by JayEss
Zipper pulls and other pieces fell off without much effort.
I think that's a feature of the bag. I remember the sales person told this to me.

The zip pulls are suppose to be ripped out if they get caught onto something; it's suppose to do that instead of damaging the whole zipper.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
Okay after 2-3 years of use my Tumi Alpha just broke.

It's a small issue: the inside elastic strap broke on one corner so I can no longer secure my stuff.

Not a big deal, but is this considered warranty or wear-and-tear? And if I bought it from their outlet store, do I still need a receipt? (I can't find mine obviously).

And if anyone knows, who do I contact in Shanghai about this?

I think that's a feature of the bag. I remember the sales person told this to me.

The zip pulls are suppose to be ripped out if they get caught onto something; it's suppose to do that instead of damaging the whole zipper.
I had all four zippers fall off two separate Alpha bags. This is a bad design.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:21 am

I own a Tumi T3 roller bag, the one with the rotating handle. It's very comfortable in the hand but poorly designed. I took great care not to abuse it, but the handle broke on me 3 times in about 3 years. The last time it broke, it would not go down at all when I got to the airport. After 10 minutes of trying to collapse it, I ended up having to fly with it in the "up" position... and of course it was broken in half when I retrieved it from baggage claim. This is not what I expect from a $600 suitcase.

Unfortunately I had to fly overseas the next week, and the loaner Tumi offered while they were repairing my T3 bag (for the third time) was old and dirty, so I spent another $800 on a large Tumi Alpha bag that has a more traditional handle. I needed a larger bag anyway and the salesperson swore that the Alpha line was a lot more durable.

Within a year, I had two zipper pulls go missing. I understand this is part of the design, but if the zipper pulls are designed to fall off, they should provide a few spares when charging this amount of money for a suitcase.

6 months and a few trips later, the handle on the Alpha refused to raise up when I got to the airport. It was absolutely no fun trying to move a 50lb. bag with two wheels through a large airport. At least it was in the "down" position though. Tumi repaired it and it's been fine for the past 4 years, other than the zipper pulls that seem to fall off every other flight.

Oh, and the locks that came with both bags each broke within 2 years. The one that came with the T3 literally came apart at the seam.

Should you really have to go through all of this when purchasing a bag that is marketed as high-end and very durable, with a price to match?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
If you guys care, shortly after posting this (#23), I went to a local Tumi store and dropped it off with them. Then after about 3 weeks, the suitcase was returned to me fully repaired. I did not need a receipt or anything.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:40 pm

Tumi is the most overrated overpriced luggage on the planet. See what they say after your warranty expires.

You want great? Go B&R, no questions asked lifetime warranty, but the bag is not cheap

You want good? Travelpro Platinum, no "worry" lifetime warranty, half the price of B&R, industry standard

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.