Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Cheap Bags vs Quality???

Cheap Bags vs Quality???

Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Cheap Bags vs Quality???

Well, I just busted a zipper on my TravelPro after just six months. And while this is definitely repairable, the time and effort to get it to the shop may just not be worth it.

Here's my question: Do I fix it (and continue to do so) OR buy cheaper, no-frills bags and treat them as disposable OR shell out money for something built like a tank?

I travel a few times a month, try to travel light but will occasionally check my bag (the horror!) when it's free and convenient...

I've had Costco bags at half the price that I was happy with. I'm also considering going with something like a Red Oxx Sky Train.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:16 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
First, welcome to Flyertalk!

Personally, I cannot justify the cost for the more expensive bags.

I have a tendency to buy the cheap bags... and you know what? They last me for years.

Occasionally, we use them when my partner is going back home to Colombia and wants to carry a lot of things for family. We actually just leave the bags there... or cocoon them when returning.

I know many like the quality... and say they last for years.... but I am not rough on my luggage... and have been fortunate.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:34 am

I've bought Andiamo Valoroso, Red Oxx, Tom Bihn and Tumi in different configurations over thirty plus years.

Never have I regretted buying the best quality I could afford at the time.

Still have some bags, sold some off at good prices and never had a rip out or major malfunction in any bag.

I'm using Air Boss, Sunchaser, TriStar, CoPilot and Tumi Expandable Briefcase currently in a rotation when I need one bag or a combo.

These will probably last the rest of my lifetime.

YMMV. You get what you pay for.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:11 am

I've decided to split the difference and have been buying Victorinox luggage at places like TJ Maxx. Sierra Trading Post also has past season colors/styles of Victorinox, B&R and Eagle Creek at a good discount. Amazon and eBags also sometimes have very good prices on Eagle Creek.

My husband and I have tried the cheapo luggage and quite frankly, it wasn't worth the aggravation.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The middle is a tough place to be when it comes to luggage...

I've found that a $150-$200 bag (such as a TravelPro Crew series) will last longer than a $50-$75 bag (like a Ricardo or Samsonite from Costco), but not 3-4x longer. If you buy in the middle, you're buying the convenience of having to replace less often along with the fit & finish of a nicer bag while you're using it, but in most cases you're just not getting a bag for life. In some cases this sits fine with me, other times it doesn't.

What I've started to find (similar to Buster) is the best value comes from buying at the low-end of high-end (Victorinox, Eagle Creek, T-Tech, eBags house-brand, retired models of B&R, etc) when you can get an amazing deal... now you have the benefit of a truly well made bag (and often an associated bullet-proof warranty) along with a cash layout that you can stomach.

Back in the fall I came across this type of deal on an Eagle Creek ES2 Rolling Tote on Amazon for $30. Based on the build quality and the warranty, this bag (or whatever replaced it under warranty if it couldn't be repaired) would last me a lifetime... however, it was stolen from the trunk of a rental car in a parking garage and the deal was gone when I needed to replace it. I ended up going with a cheap Ciao bag from Costco, also $30, to replace it and now after only 3 trips I have a dented handle channel causing the handle to stick. Luckily in this case it did come from Costco, so I can get a replacement fairly easily. Still, it reiterated my point knowing what you need to buy/replace with enough foresight and quickly reacting when the amazing deals do come along is the way that works best for me when it comes to buying luggage. Luckily right now I have enough bags to chose from that, even if I lose one particular form factor to damage/theft/etc, I still have time to watch and wait for a great deal... even if I don't come across one in time, I still have something else that can fit the bill.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the insights that are working for you all!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm with Isle Of Man on this one: either buy something completely disposable or something expensive with proven quality. Like him, I try to buy into the expensive stuff at the lowest price point I can find. I travel quite a bit these days, so having bags with good warranty is a must (plus I have to valet check my bag on a leg most of the time).

I got both my current bags this way: a discontinued 20in B&R which I got on sale for $150 and the Eagle Creek Tarmac 20x in I use weekly and I got for $120. While sometimes I'm tempted to buy more bags (like a tote, a backpack and a Kirkland to use as checked luggage), with my current bags and travel pattern I don't really need them, since I have a good replacement bag in case the other one needs to be in the shop which hasn't happened yet, but I am sure it will.

Try not to buy a bag on a rush. If you're patient and don't need a bag for "next week's trip", you can find great deals on high quality stuff.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:20 am

I am pretty cheap in general, but I really like bags, especially well thought-out carry-on bags. I tend to look once in a while, including on eBay and Craigslist, for used, well-known and reviewed bags (just got the Patagonia MLC from a couple of years ago for $75 total on eBay), especially because they usually come with lifetime warranty. This way, even used bags that might be damaged can be repaired or replaced.

So, now I have an Osprey Porter 46, which is ok, and which I got on sale a couple of years go from REI, and this MLC (plus other, cheaper bags here and there). I don't really need any, but I might sell a few here and there.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
I'd actually do some research before I would buy my next bag. Travel Pro will definitely will not make my list because the current and the last few generations are cheaply made in China and are much overpriced compared to equal (or better) low end quality. (e.g. Target has a ballistic nylon Wenger Swiss Army brand 2-wheeler for $120ish that is under $100 often on sale.)

I would really recommend going to a couple of places: a large luggage store that has high end and mid end bags and a department store (like Kohl's or Sears) that has low end bags. Look at them, open them, feel them carry them, measure them (lots of airlines are strict these days.) Brand and durability is one thing, functionality and features is another and sometimes even bigger decision point, esp. if you are looking at an expensive bag.

It also depends on how often you travel and how many times your bag is handled by airport staff (e.g. when you travel with RJs.)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Best option: Buy everything with good quality and good warranty, and be done with it. I find the best values to lie in B&R and Red Oxx. (You can still save money by purchasing from sales, discontinued models/colors, etc. Scan eBay, Sierra Trading Post, google shopping and other such portals.)

Next best option: By your checked bag(s) as above. Buy a cheaper carry-on; it remains in your care and perhaps need not be as well made. Just make sure it never gets gate-checked!

A special high reward/stress option: Don't check bags. Get by with the best carry-on you can afford. This lifestyle is not for everyone, but does have its own rewards as well as stresses.

If you fly more than minimally, there really isn't any other option.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 9, 2014 at 1:49 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I used to buy cheap bags when hauling stuff back from China. These were 26" bags that would last 3-4 trips, when loaded with 40-60 pounds of stuff. For $20 or so, I couldn't complain too much.

For longer term bags, I just buy the Costco Kirkland bags. Yes, they do wear out (handles or wheels, usually), but with free replacements, it's a no brainer. I carry 60-70 pounds in the 22" bag regularly. They last me 3-5 years, usually.

The smaller bag is $100. They've replaced it with a spinner version, but I haven't bought one yet. It's been a few years since I've replaced the 26" one. I'd guess it's $130-$140.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
This topic comes up periodically and clearly sorts out to personal taste largely. I think one thing that people might agree on is, as stated upthread, the middle is tough. I personally like higher quality, preferably with a bulletproof warranty. All of my rollers are B&R. And they have honored the warranty on really old stuff that had clearly been damaged as well as stuff that had worn. I also have Red Oxx, a Tristar, SFBags, Timbuk2 and LL Bean (backpack).
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by earlytothegate
Well, I just busted a zipper on my TravelPro after just six months. And while this is definitely repairable, the time and effort to get it to the shop may just not be worth it.

Here's my question: Do I fix it (and continue to do so) OR buy cheaper, no-frills bags and treat them as disposable OR shell out money for something built like a tank?

I travel a few times a month, try to travel light but will occasionally check my bag (the horror!) when it's free and convenient...

I've had Costco bags at half the price that I was happy with. I'm also considering going with something like a Red Oxx Sky Train.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hey There!! I'm glad that you started this topic. I've been researching luggage and I'm having a hard time picking which piece of luggage to buy. Then my mother told me not to any expensive luggage. But I agree with what other people had said already stated that buying cheap luggage isn't worth the trouble. I'm thinking about getting the expensive luggage.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:59 am

Go for quality, not necessarily price...

I've been a travel pro guy for many years, my first bag cost me quite a bit of money, but it has certainly stood the test of time. First generation platinum series. I've even had the opportunity to test the lifetime warranty and they did repair or replace the bag as needed.

After getting married, I found a need for a few more bags and ended up trying out some lower cost bags at TJ Maxx. I was pretty impressed with what I could get for the money. I picked up Delsey and it's worked very well.

The trick is to ensure you buy a bag that uses quality materials and has been well put together. That means ballistic Nylon, inline skate wheels, big wide zippers, strong zipper pulls, double stitching, a smooth sturdy articulating handle, a well attached handle, double stitched and screwed in place. If possible find a bag with a good warranty. The longer warranty usually indicates a better quality product.

If you have to compromise, I'd spend more money on the check luggage pieces vs. the carry-on. The checked luggage will certainly see more abuse than the carry-on that's in your direct care. My carry-on suffered more damage on one trip than weeks of regular use when I had to check it in. I've seen bags dropped from about 25 feet that were on a conveyor up to the jet bridge.

Why opt for a quality bag when you can buy 2x or 4x or 6x of a cheaper bag?

Have you ever had a bag fall apart on you at the airport or during a trip?
I've seen this a number of times and unfortunately seen this happen to my Dad while he was on a business trip. Depending on where you are this can be a very painful and frustrating situation to deal with, my Dad had to buy a replacement at the airport and we know they aren't exactly known for fire sales. Not to mention potential loss or damage of what you carry in your bag.

Doing some bargain shopping and knowing what to look for in a bag can go a long way to get a great bag for less money, but if you have to compromise, I'd go for spending a little more vs. saving to ensure you get a bag that will go the distance.

Regards,

Mike
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
I guess I'll be the one to ask the question on how to go about finding a decent price on more quality luggage, because I'm having a difficult time figuring out how $500 for a checked bag makes sense. I'm thinking that luggage makers debut new bags yearly, and so at some point put their older stuff on clearance/close out. Where do I look for these items? And around what time of year does this generally happen?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.