Best / lightest electric travel razor?

Subscribe
I hate shaving with a blade (the lightest option, but probably not for me since I don't check luggage anymore--only take carry-ons). At home, I shave with a rotary tri-blade Norelco razor. Just purchased a battery operated two-blade Norelco rotary razor ("40 Series--either an HQ4 or HQ55"). It weighs a lot more than I thought it would.

I've disliked foil electric razors in the past because they tend to pull and it hurts a bit. But I'm wondering if I should consider a foil electric razor for travel--I'm guessing these are lighter. And minimus.biz has one for less than USD $10. Probably wouldn't hurt to try it. Remington has a "titanium" (?) foil battery-operated model for around USD $13. Used Remingtons decades ago, but again eventually decided I didn't like foil shavers. But for the savings in weight and bulk, I'll definitely consider foil again.

What's your favorite battery powered travel razor? Preferably something still on the market. I may go through a few before I find a "road ready" one that I'll settle on.
I have a philips HQ130. Runs on 2 AA batteries, works quite well (obviously not as good as a proper electric shaver). Very light too.
I have a [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES3833-Pro-Curve-Travel-Shaver/dp/B003KM563G/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1297949237&sr=8-16"]Panasonic ES3833 Pro-Curve Wet/Dry Travel Shaver with Case] that I like. I like wet/dry shavers (shave in shower). It uses two AA batteries, that seem to last me through many many trips. Panasonic has a cheaper model (ES3831K ) but this model has a pop-up trimmer. I do NOT use the case---it's bulky. I pack the shaver and the plastic blade guard. Not too bad weight/bulk wise. I pack it off to one side in my shave kit, and it's safe and sound.
OP, the usual Gilette, Schick, Wilkinson etc cartridge blades are absolutely no problem to take through security. It's written in the TSA and European guidelines that those are OK. I don't know for Asia and Africa but I presume they are allowed there, too. Search for travel razor on Amazon. The Braun and Panasonic models get good reviews. They are also well regarded on an electric shaver forum where I read a bit from time to time.

It is well-known that Remingtons offer a very close shave among foil razors but that they are very aggressive because the foil is so thin. I've been using close to top of the line models from Panasonic for the past 20 years. Have always been very satisfied. Just to give rotaries a fair chance I bought the top of the line Philips/Norelco Arcitec 1090. A good razor. But not as good as the Pannies. And the Pannies are better than the Brauns I used. Plus they cost less.

The Arcitec model I got does have the advantage of providing more shaves per charge though, even if each shave does take longer with the rotary.

For travel and at home I REALLY enjoy using the Schick Quattro Titanium with electric clipper. The clipper is ideal for trimming sideburns, moustache and body hair. The blades are VERY easy on the skin and last twice as long at least as the Gilette blades. But the Gilette blades cost noticeably more and don't shave better, either. I tried both products long-term and in a 1:1 test at the same time on the left and right side of my face. Schick QT, hands down. ^

Do a forum search for razor here and you will find quite a few posts and threads.

Till
I gave up having a separate travel razor. Typically the mornings are not the best thinking time, for me, I just want to be on auto pilot and get a good shave.

The latest electrics are all pretty light weight and seem to travel well. My current one is a top of the line Panasonic.
I also got a top-line Panasonic from Japan. Probably one of the best electric razors I've ever used.
Quote: I hate shaving with a blade (the lightest option, but probably not for me since I don't check luggage anymore--only take carry-ons). At home, I shave with a rotary tri-blade Norelco razor. Just purchased a battery operated two-blade Norelco rotary razor ("40 Series--either an HQ4 or HQ55"). It weighs a lot more than I thought it would.

I've disliked foil electric razors in the past because they tend to pull and it hurts a bit. But I'm wondering if I should consider a foil electric razor for travel--I'm guessing these are lighter. And minimus.biz has one for less than USD $10. Probably wouldn't hurt to try it. Remington has a "titanium" (?) foil battery-operated model for around USD $13. Used Remingtons decades ago, but again eventually decided I didn't like foil shavers. But for the savings in weight and bulk, I'll definitely consider foil again.

What's your favorite battery powered travel razor? Preferably something still on the market. I may go through a few before I find a "road ready" one that I'll settle on.
I go back and forth, electric (with talc stick, or wet) vs blade. Of course, you can always get a cheap disposable razor at your destination if you are blade shaving, and a small tube of shave cream and a mini brush (Simpson's Wee Scot or similar) and you are all set for a great blade shave, and much lighter than a can of shave cream. I second Panasonic electrics, both because they give a close shave and are wet or dry. Another option, dry only, is Grundig's foil razor, not heavy and pretty compact.
I used to have a really compact one (Hitachi brand I think) that I picked up in Asia. The best thing about it was that it had retractable prongs so I could plug the razor directly into a wall outlet -- no need to bring recharging cords/accessories or replace batteries. Anyone know where I can pick up another one like this?