Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Affordable Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Backpack

Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

My old Dell backpack is developing a huge hole on it so I'm in the market for a new backpack. I've started looking into the whole checkpoint friendly backpack, and after a brief search of this forum, I've realized that pretty much all the reviews are from 1+ years ago and/or on ridiculously expensive backpacks.

Does anyone have any current recommendations on an affordable, decent looking checkpoint friendly backpack? As a student, I'm not looking to break the bank or anything. The two I've found so far are the Wenger Legacy and the Targus Zip-Thru Air Traveler. Any thoughts on those or others at that similar price point (<$50)?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:13 am

I'll let others weigh in on the backpack options. I just wanted to chime in that you might also want to consider a checkpoint friendly laptop sleeve which then lets you select from many more backpacks. I've used the http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php for several years for this.

Waterfield is bulletproof, but not exactly inexpensive. Since you are trying to keep to a budget, I'd suggest looking for a less expensive option which leaves more money available for the backpack.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:11 am

I'll echo noam's comment. I've tried checkpoint friendly bags (a backpack and a messenger) and found there wasn't a lot of advantage. In both cases, the effort to open and layout the bag was as much as it is to pull my laptop sleeve out of my much lighter everyday bag.

Another thing to consider the the overall utility. Will you be travelling be air frequently (I fly 2-3 times a month)? If not, then most of the time the added weight and complexity is wasted. The backpack that I tried had a much smaller overall carrying capacity than a normal backpack while being quite a bit heavier. The laptop compartment was heavily padded and had an added all around zipper. Given the limited amount of time that one is being examined, it just didn't meet the overall function test. I want to spend my weight carrying budget on my stuff, not the bag.

I use a nylon covered neoprene sleeve from Built NY with a screen protector between the keyboard and the display (I've had laptop display scratched by the keyboard when they get compressed in an over packing situation).
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It's definitely given me something to think about. I'll have to go to the store and try out some of the bags just to see what the decreased storage is like. I'm not a huge fan of getting a neoprene sleeve, simply because it doesn't reduce any steps in the security checkpoint process for me (I'll be traveling 6-8x over the next month).
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:53 pm

briggs & riley clamshell backpack the best!!!

I have to say I love my Briggs & Riley Large clamshell backpack. I spent less than $100 on bags twice and could have just gotten this backpack and it has a lifetime guarantee....I keep everything in there and just unzip the middle and it puts the computer on one side and everything else on the other...there is a net pocket on the non-computer side that I slip my Boarding passes and id or shoes in and it goes right through. No time to rezip it back and I don't have to stuff my laptop back in...It was worth every penny spent on it - it rocks as a carry on bag and as a going to work bag....HIGHLY recommend it....
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: PC Plat, DL PM, Avis First, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've used this Swiss Gear pack on and off for a year or so. It seems to be well built, and is convenient for security (I won't get in to the debate about whether it's faster than puling out a sleeve). It's also very spacious. In fact, if I pack it fairly full, it's nearly as big as my 22" carry on. However I've never had trouble from a GA taking it as my personal item. The only catch is you have to be a Sam's Club member to get it for $39.88.

Chris
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:31 pm

I was in a similar situation and ended up with a messenger bag. I was unable to find a backpack that had enough space.

I got the Timbuk2 command:
http://www.ebags.com/product/timbuk2...uctid=10005651

With a little googling and some patience you can get it for $60-70.

There is plenty of room in the main compartment and the compartments on the front have enough space for smaller items. I especially like the bottom compartment for chargers and assorted computer accessories.

It is lined with a waterproof fabric which was another selling point for me.

I really like the checkpoint friendly feature of it. You can grab the bag and go even if the laptop compartment is not zipped up again.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to follow-up, I went with the Targus Zip-Thru Air Traveler, which I was able to get for <$40. I'll be going on a flight on Sunday, we'll see how it goes. So far I'm pretty impressed with the amount of storage space available, but the checkpoint-friendly feature is the reason I bought it so I want to see it in action.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to follow-up, I went with the Targus Zip-Thru Air Traveler, which I was able to get for <$40. I'll be going on a flight on Sunday, we'll see how it goes. So far I'm pretty impressed with the amount of storage space available, but the checkpoint-friendly feature is the reason I bought it so I want to see it in action.
Great. Glad to hear you found what you were looking for. That does look like it has an impressive amount of storage space.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
All,

Quick question...will have to carry 2 laptops...will our TSA friends take issue with 2 laptops in a clamshell backpack?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think it is tough to beat LL Bean for high quality backpacks at an affordable price. My go to backpack it is an old LL Bean Turbo Transit pack. Great quality and a very good price.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I'm Uk based and looking for the same thing, my wheeled laptop bag is to heavy for virgin (and thats almost before you put the laptop in :/. Had a look at the SwissGear ScanSmart Laptop Backpack but can't find it in stock anywhere that offers international shipping. Really need a backpack that'll have space for a laptop plus odds and ends that go in any carryon! favouring a backpack over a messenger bag so to balance weight better
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:10 pm
Suspended

My old Dell backpack is developing a huge hole on it so I'm in the market for a new backpack. I've started looking into the whole checkpoint friendly backpack, and after a brief search of this forum, I've realized that pretty much all the reviews are from 1+ years ago and/or on ridiculously expensive backpacks.

Does anyone have any current recommendations on an affordable, decent looking checkpoint friendly backpack? As a student, I'm not looking to break the bank or anything. The two I've found so far are the Wenger Legacy and the Targus Zip-Thru Air Traveler. Any thoughts on those or others at that similar price point (<$50)?
How do u think about this Wenger Swiss Gear Mythos 15.6" Laptop Backpack? Looks cool stuff for me. It migh worth u a peek.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:26 pm

SwissGear created a ScanSmart line that is designed to make TSA checks as fast and convenient as possible. The classic bag would be the ScansSmart 1900

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.