Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best compact device to boil water on the road

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Best compact device to boil water on the road

Any suggestions on a compact device that can boil a cup of water, preferably dual voltage? So far the only thing I've seen is the immersion rod..not sure how well it works..
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by k374
Any suggestions on a compact device that can boil a cup of water, preferably dual voltage? So far the only thing I've seen is the immersion rod..not sure how well it works..
The immersion coil is great, and it's cheap, usually $5 or $10 for single voltage, $10 to $20 for dual.

They will catch fire if you let all the water boil out, and if you don't wipe it dry after each use it may start to get some nasty scale build up, but if it does, you just buy another one.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I take along a dual voltage travel kettle. It is not as compact as the coil, but much safer with auto shut off.

Electronics shops in major airports carry these products.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: DLPM MM
Originally Posted by cordelli
They will catch fire if you let all the water boil out
Not so sure about them catching fire. They are UL listed if you buy them in the USA and UL would not allow such a hazard. I know mine has boiled dry a couple of times in five years of regular use and still works just fine. It did dull the nickel plating, but that hasn't affected performance. I expect the heating element could burn out in the end, buts since it is not exposed, being inside a metal steel tube, there would be no fire.

Note the dual voltage ones don't actually do any voltage conversion, they just work twice as fast anywhere that has 220V - so don't be disappointed at the time to boil if you buy one and try it in the USA - it will work much better in Europe.

Last edited by scunnered; Nov 5, 2010 at 3:26 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I have traveled with a coil gizmo for decades with no issues. I carry along my own cup as well. I have tried carrying along a small water boiler which sell for about $10 in the US, but they do take up a lot of space in my checked bag even when I pack stuff inside them.

The coils last me about 2 years before they just quit working. No apparent risk of fire.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I have traveled with a coil gizmo for decades with no issues. I carry along my own cup as well.
This has been my approach for many years also,with no problems.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Immersion rod works well - $15 at REI with an adapter - http://www.rei.com/product/781694
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Long shot but any ideas if I can get this is the Middle East? Lebanon or Jordan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.