Reload this Page >

checking soft luggage + a cart?

Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: henryjin

Hello all,

I've read about how soft-sided luggage is better than wheeled luggage for carry-ons...but what about checked luggage? It seems that wheels are necessary due to the weight...but if you check two bags having two wheeled luggage is pretty unwieldy.

I've been thinking about buying a couple Aviator duffels from Red Oxx and buying a portable cart/hand truck of some form (like this one) on which I could stack both of them. I lose some of my weight to the cart, but less than I would if I had two pieces of wheeled luggage...plus I gain some versatility.

Has anyone had experience with this? Are there any advantages to wheeled checked luggage?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:13 pm

I'm all for wheel-less carry-on items, see my other posts.

BUT... for checked luggage, wheels usually imply structure. I would not check a duffel bag unless it were a last resort. I travel for business so I always have suits, jackets, slacks, etc in my checked bag and need the structure of a framed bag to keep my clothes unwrinkled. It seems like getting the hand truck and carrying that could be more of a hassle than it's worth.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:56 pm

Yes two wheeled pieces is unwieldy. Don't do it. Well, there are "train connectors" that allow you to daisy chain several wheeled pieces but I've never tried them and suppose this is only good when there are absolutely no curbs or stairs.

Checking a duffel bag is absolutely no problem, as long as the bag is well built, the contents not too fragile and well packed. I've done it many times.

If you want the best volume to weight ratio, choose a big wheeled duffel bag like the Eagle Creek Super ORV. Chances are you will not need a second bag.

If you do need two bags, a wheeled piece is still the way to go. Get one wheeled and set a duffel bag on top. You can fit a duffle on top of a 28" suitcase that would also be too big for the cabin. So you have two must-check pieces that are transported together. Additionally, choose a wheeled bag that has a removable J-hook or other type of extra luggage attachment. With this you can dangle a third piece (like a briefcase) on the front, while the duffle is riding on top.

This will allow you to transport three bags and up to 50kg with one hand. Pretty efficient if you ask me.

I concur with ABB in that soft luggage plus trolley for checking is a hassle. Soft plus trolley is good only if minimizing luggage weight and maximizing space is the top priority and wheels are still absolutely required. In that case buy an A. Saks 21" Exp Tote and a Samsonite Micromover Cart. Done.

Welcome to FT, Henry!

Till

P.S.: @ABB If you know how to fold and pack your stuff properly a hard bag is not needed to keep even suits and shirts wrinkle free. Check the packing sticky on top of the page for details and how-to's. It takes all of ten minutes to learn. There's even a video.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Yes two wheeled pieces is unwieldy. Don't do it. Well, there are "train connectors" that allow you to daisy chain several wheeled pieces but I've never tried them and suppose this is only good when there are absolutely no curbs or stairs.

Checking a duffel bag is absolutely no problem, as long as the bag is well built, the contents not too fragile and well packed. I've done it many times.

If you want the best volume to weight ratio, choose a big wheeled duffel bag like the Eagle Creek Super ORV. Chances are you will not need a second bag.

If you do need two bags, a wheeled piece is still the way to go. Get one wheeled and set a duffel bag on top. You can fit a duffle on top of a 28" suitcase that would also be too big for the cabin. So you have two must-check pieces that are transported together. Additionally, choose a wheeled bag that has a removable J-hook or other type of extra luggage attachment. With this you can dangle a third piece (like a briefcase) on the front, while the duffle is riding on top.

This will allow you to transport three bags and up to 50kg with one hand. Pretty efficient if you ask me.

I concur with ABB in that soft luggage plus trolley for checking is a hassle. Soft plus trolley is good only if minimizing luggage weight and maximizing space is the top priority and wheels are still absolutely required. In that case buy an A. Saks 21" Exp Tote and a Samsonite Micromover Cart. Done.

Welcome to FT, Henry!

Till

P.S.: @ABB If you know how to fold and pack your stuff properly a hard bag is not needed to keep even suits and shirts wrinkle free. Check the packing sticky on top of the page for details and how-to's. It takes all of ten minutes to learn. There's even a video.
Bold option above is the best of both worlds IMO. Tfar- i love a duffle and use it as my main bag and carry it on as I try not to check bags anymore. I've had bad luck suits wrinkling, ill check out the sticky! Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:28 pm

ABB, packing a suit in a duffel is possible but tricky. Packing a suit in a soft bag that is shaped like an Airboss is rather easy. I do admit though that it also depends on how big your suit jackets and trousers are.

Here are some tips for packing it in a duffle that apply similarly to more suitcase like bags.

The first thing that goes in the bag are the pants. Fold them together at the leg crease, all seams neatly aligned. If they have no pleats (straight front), the waist goes in the suitcase first lengthwise. Let legs hang out. If they have pleats the legs go in the suitcase first, let the waist hang out over the edge.

Then fill your suitcase with everything else except the jacket. Now fold the pants over. You have just avoided the knee bent and steadied your pants so they cant move and wrinkle.

Now use the jacket folding technique from the video. If the shoulders aren't very large it should fit on top of the trousers in the duffle's main compartment. The Airboss for example is wider than a duffle. That's why it will be easier there.

Another simple option if the jacket simply won't fit in the duffle is to carry it between the handles. Just use the video technique again and place it between the handles. I also think that looks really dashing and debonaire.

Till
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by _ABB_
I'm all for wheel-less carry-on items, see my other posts.

BUT... for checked luggage, wheels usually imply structure. I would not check a duffel bag unless it were a last resort. I travel for business so I always have suits, jackets, slacks, etc in my checked bag and need the structure of a framed bag to keep my clothes unwrinkled. It seems like getting the hand truck and carrying that could be more of a hassle than it's worth.
Look up Doug Dyment's bundle packing method or the bundling style written about by tfar/Till in the sticky at the top of this forum. Works for any rectangular shaped bag, soft or hard. I bundle suits in my Air Boss all the time and it works great.

Further, why check at all? Why not just carry on your suits and shirts for business travel?

Originally Posted by henryjin
Hello all,

I've read about how soft-sided luggage is better than wheeled luggage for carry-ons...but what about checked luggage? It seems that wheels are necessary due to the weight...but if you check two bags having two wheeled luggage is pretty unwieldy.

I've been thinking about buying a couple Aviator duffels from Red Oxx and buying a portable cart/hand truck of some form (like this one) on which I could stack both of them. I lose some of my weight to the cart, but less than I would if I had two pieces of wheeled luggage...plus I gain some versatility.

Has anyone had experience with this? Are there any advantages to wheeled checked luggage?
Here is the thing about the aviator duffels, which are great bags - they can only be carried by hand. No shoulder strap and no place for one. If you insist on a bigger checked bag, why not go with something convenient like the Big Oxx that has backpack straps as well?

As for hand trucks, there are ones that weigh a pound or less for quite reasonable prices on Amazon
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:35 am
Original Poster

You guys rock. Thanks for the valuable input. I do have a few more thoughts though .

Originally Posted by _ABB_
I travel for business so I always have suits, jackets, slacks, etc in my checked bag and need the structure of a framed bag to keep my clothes unwrinkled. It seems like getting the hand truck and carrying that could be more of a hassle than it's worth.
Yea, that does make a lot of sense. I guess I should clarify that my primary intention is to be doing international travel where I expect to be partially moving myself and my family every couple of years. I also expect to travel in between, and I would like the flexibility to carry/ship things that are not easily found in a given location.

As such, I do not really need to worry too much about clothing/business travel per se...space, versatility, and durability are my primary concerns.

Originally Posted by tfar

How do you think this would compare to two large duffles + a hand truck where I leave some space in one of them for the hand truck? I can see how having the wheeled piece would be more convenient, but it seems I lose a bit of versatility - is it worth it?

Originally Posted by N1120A
Here is the thing about the aviator duffels, which are great bags - they can only be carried by hand. No shoulder strap and no place for one. If you insist on a bigger checked bag, why not go with something convenient like the Big Oxx that has backpack straps as well?
Frankly, the price differential....I could get 4 Aviator Duffels and a hand truck for the price of 1 Big Oxx and have more than enough for my wife and myself, whereas 4 Big Oxxes (sp?) would buy me a (very) used car.

But I agree, it would be nice to have at least the option of carrying it differently. Not sure I can afford that though. I did see these Adventure Duffels from LL Bean, which come with a nice guarantee, but if I'm overseas I won't really be able to take advantage of it...so I was thinking that I need more durability up front.

Originally Posted by N1120A
As for hand trucks, there are ones that weigh a pound or less for quite reasonable prices on Amazon
Care to reference any that can carry 2 loaded checked bags (~100 lbs) well? I've been looking on Amazon too but maybe my Amazon skills aren't up to par .
Old Jul 2, 2011, 2:30 am

I think for 100lbs you need a Concord brand cart. And those things easily weigh 5-6 lbs themselves. Plus they are bulky. I'd just as soon get a porter at the destination.

Seriously, if this is not something you do weekly or at least monthly and you want to be able to haul large amounts (but nothing fragile) just get the biggest duffel (no wheels) that you can find. Then have a porter carry them.

If you want to transport fragile stuff you have three options IMHO. 1. Rimowa Topas 32" Multiwheeler. 2. Samsonite Silhouette 11 Hardcase four wheels. 3. Pelican Hardcase two wheels. These are in descending order of weight and price. Rimowa is the lightest and most expensive. And they are in ascending order of durability and protection.

One more thing. Soft duffels, especially big and heavy ones, really don't ride well on narrow hand carts. They sloop down on the sides and scrape over the floor.

Honestly, just getting either a cart at the airport or getting a porter will be better for that method.

But with one Sil 11 and a good duffel on top, you have much more versatility and can also transport 100lbs. I've done it with my Topas and a duffel. No problem at all. That is as long as I don't have to lift a 32kg suitcase.

Till
Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:58 pm

I think that the Aviator bags do not have cart straps. You would need a way to keep them on a cart. I've traveled that way with an Air Boss and still had to stop and adjust the load a few times. And an Air Boss has more structure than an Aviator bag.

My cart is a small folding one and is still a hassle. Essentially if I left enough room to pack it, my bag would be light enough that I wouldn't need it. I ended up carrying it on.

I think tfar has it; just use an airport cart or ask a porter to assist. But if you're sold on having your own cart, look at the Wesco folding ones. The mini mover is rated at 110 lbs. There is a heavier one called the maxi mover. In your case you would probably have room in a large aviator duffel for a mini mover. I would likely just check it. They're pretty tough. Check their site or Amazon before you buy. If you're on a tight budget there are copycat models of the mini mover for as low as $30... Half of the cost of a mini mover.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Well, I'm still a bit undecided on the larger issue...but in the meantime I bought one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/770255/re...venture-duffel

It seems to be somewhat similar to the Red Oxx Sherpa Jr, and with the coupon I got in my email it was just $45 after tax. Probably not as durable, but hopefully a good deal nonetheless. We'll see once it gets here .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.