Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Durable Carry on Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by kitsura
Originally Posted by panamamike
It really depends on how hard you're on your luggage. I'd say look for the best warranty and see if you can have them fix/replace when it fails.

Some of the better warranties are:
Victorinox top end luggage
Travel Pro

Regards,

Mike
Travel Pro warranty covers manufacturer defects and does not cover airline damage. How is it better?
It isn't. B&R covers everything including airline damage.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:54 pm

I've had a "Ballistic" carry on piece of luggage for years that still looks new after many trips to various climates.

The interior space feels a bit tight due to the rugged construction, but I make it work.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I just retired the best piece of luggage I have ever had. I always check a bag and I had a 27" Eddie Bauer I had gotten at Target for $120.00.
This bag went through hell and 122 flights and I had to retire it after my last flight because the zipper finally tore away from the body of the bag.
I also have the 21" matching carry on size of that case and again, GREAT bag. Really durable wheels and easy to maneuver.
Sigh......I hope I can find another 27" Eddie Bauer that is as good....
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: USAir Gold
Luggage Reccommendations

Originally Posted by bagobsessive
Any Victorinox Fans here?

Don't you 'lose' space with the outside handle on B&R? That is you have a bag that is really about 1 - 1.5 inches thicker because of the outside handle but can't put anything 'around' it because it is outside?

This would seem to be an issue with carry-ons where you arre really trying to get as much space as possible? Or have I missed something?
I've been using Victorinox for over 10 years, I can get Tumi, Hartmann, etc at cost due to my business, but have chosen Victorinox over the rest. I own a rollaboard, wheeled duffle, wheeled suiter, etc. Had to have wheels replaced on the carry-on, just called them up and since I have a allen wrenches, opted to have them send me the wheels and I installed them myself. No charge.

Apparently my big 27" check through got caught on the conveyor belt somehow and it wore down to the steel piping, I will have to send that in for repair, but it's a lifetime warranty.
They are built to last, I'm not familiar with B&R, but I did have a lengthy conversation with a pilot about Purdy Neat Stuff rollaboards, his was 12 years old and never a problem other than the wheels needing replaced. They are defiantly built like a tank and the most durable designed I have ever seen.

I also own a Porter Case rollaboard/hand truck that can tote 200lbs, for trips with the family where I will have to move luggage for other people, but it's more of a speciality item.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA EXP, et. al.
Originally Posted by DEADF15H
I've been using Victorinox for over 10 years, I can get Tumi, Hartmann, etc at cost due to my business, but have chosen Victorinox over the rest. I own a rollaboard, wheeled duffle, wheeled suiter, etc. Had to have wheels replaced on the carry-on, just called them up and since I have a allen wrenches, opted to have them send me the wheels and I installed them myself. No charge.

Apparently my big 27" check through got caught on the conveyor belt somehow and it wore down to the steel piping, I will have to send that in for repair, but it's a lifetime warranty.
They are built to last, I'm not familiar with B&R, but I did have a lengthy conversation with a pilot about Purdy Neat Stuff rollaboards, his was 12 years old and never a problem other than the wheels needing replaced. They are defiantly built like a tank and the most durable designed I have ever seen.

I also own a Porter Case rollaboard/hand truck that can tote 200lbs, for trips with the family where I will have to move luggage for other people, but it's more of a speciality item.
Interestingly enough, a sales manager at Harrods in London introduced me to Victoronix and told me that it was their biggest seller, far outselling Tumi.

I had actually walked in looking for Briggs & Riley, but he told me they could not sell them due to Tumi not allowing them!!! I was flabbergasted, I said but you are Harrods!!! He said it was under an exclusive contract. He did say that many of his Tumi clientele had converted to B&R, which didn't surprise me, as I am one of them.

To the OP, from personal experience I would highly recommend Briggs & Riley; it appears that Victorinox is worth considering too.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by jmanusa
Interestingly enough, a sales manager at Harrods in London introduced me to Victoronix and told me that it was their biggest seller, far outselling Tumi.

I had actually walked in looking for Briggs & Riley, but he told me they could not sell them due to Tumi not allowing them!!! I was flabbergasted, I said but you are Harrods!!! He said it was under an exclusive contract. He did say that many of his Tumi clientele had converted to B&R, which didn't surprise me, as I am one of them.

To the OP, from personal experience I would highly recommend Briggs & Riley; it appears that Victorinox is worth considering too.
Tumi is doing the typical bait and switch. Build up your brand using good quality products and customer service then once you have brand reputation, outsource and mass produce everything and cut your warranty support to cut costs.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kitsura
Tumi is doing the typical bait and switch. Build up your brand using good quality products and customer service then once you have brand reputation, outsource and mass produce everything and cut your warranty support to cut costs.
That's true for sure. By the way, What ya think about this Skyway 41380-ST Ultra No-Weight 21" Upright Vertical Carry-On Case? Is it nice travel product??
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by meetyoutoday
That's true for sure. By the way, What ya think about this Skyway 41380-ST Ultra No-Weight 21" Upright Vertical Carry-On Case? Is it nice travel product??
Never heard of this brand before. Might be a buy and throwaway brand.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by dranz
> Purdy Neat

+1
+1 from me too. I get about 1,000,000 BIS miles per bag. I'd probably get more but I have to fly too many Barbie Jets where it gets abused because it has to be gate checked.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: SWA rapid rewards, AAdvantage
I don't know about bags that will survive everything.

We have decided to try the guaranteed for life approach to bags. My husband and I are really enjoying our Eagle Creek HC2 Hovercraft bags.

Another post mentions Eagle Creek - just wanted to clarify, not ALL Eagle Creek bags are guaranteed for life, but several of the lines are.

A way around a limited warranty can be to purchase from a company that will allow returns no questions asked, forever. They may not be able to replace a damaged bag, but you can return it and get your money back. REI, LLBean, Lands End, Costco, Magellan and other companies have this generous policy. In this way, you could purchase a less expensive bag, and still not have to pay to replace it if or when it fails.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: F9 Summit DL Gold Hilton Diamond Intercontinental Platinum Choice Diamond
emlane

Originally Posted by emlane
I am looking for the most durable carry on luggage. I fly amost every week and always carry on my bag. I am on my 4th bag in about 4 years. All bags seem to have issues with the wheels. Some have completely broke lose while others just stop turning. I have had Samsonite, department store and Swiss Gear from Target. Maybe this is just part of traveling but hopefully others have had better luck with other brands. Thanks.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. After searching high and low and a lot of debating I decided to go with the 20" Victorinox Mobilizer NXT 5.0. I have not been on a trip yet but it will be getting plenty of use very soon.

emlane
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:31 pm

For my two cents, I can't imagine bags tougher than a B&R or Red Oxx. My friend has a B&R and it is impressive. My Red Oxx is the tough as h3ll and has my favorite shoulder strap.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by AAfromSTL
...Luggage Works Purdy Neat roll-on bag. It's the bag you see cabin and flight deck crews carry. The wheels are the same sealed-bearing ones used on roller blades.

I can't wait to get the bag and try it out. It does come recomended on this and other forums. Also, the argument that sold me was talking with a pilot about how well the bags hold up.
Originally Posted by dranz
> Purdy Neat

+1
Originally Posted by DL-Don
+1 from me too. I get about 1,000,000 BIS miles per bag. I'd probably get more but I have to fly too many Barbie Jets where it gets abused because it has to be gate checked.
Another +1 for Purdy Neat on durability. It's the heaviest of my four rollaboards (all 20" and 22") at about 15 pounds empty, but it's been beaten on and has taken a lot of abuse.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Unfortunately quality and price go hand in hand. Go with the Briggs you will not be disappointed. You can find it on sale a lot if you search around a bit and the lifetime warranty regardless of who caused the damage goes along way.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:06 pm

Club Glove carry-on or mini rolling duffle are great. They're made in America, durable, lifetime warranty and best of all for your situation; the wheels are rollerblade wheels. You can buy a complete replacement set online for under $10 and just pack the spare in the case of a wheel issue. Very easily replaceable.

Drawback? The bags are pricey but I guess it's better than buying 4 bags in 4 years. Buy black though, it'll look way less dirty in its 5th year of use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.