Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on / beach tote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Carry-on / beach tote

First post, and maybe a strange question:

Can anyone recommend a tote bag, zippered or otherwise securely closed at the top, that would be useful both as:

1) an underseat carryon bag for books, music player, snacks, bottle of water, other miscellaneous stuff for two people, and

2) a beach tote / day bag that can carry the same kind of things but also sunscreen, etc. (essentially, to fulfill this purpose it just needs to be fairly casual looking, and at least water resistant).

Since both my wife and I will end up carrying it, fairly unisex styling would be nice, and the inclusion of, or option of attaching, a shoulder strap would be nice. And a backpack-style bag is not what we're looking for. Yes, I know, we're picky.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:14 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Try LeSportsac Travel Tote. It's available in many colours, made from ripstop nylon. and fits under the seat in front of you. There is also a smaller version too.

Ebags and other online places usually have last season's prints on sale.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:18 am

I prefer a little bit of structure to my totebags, otherwise I feel like the bag turns into a black hole and I spend too much time rummaging around to find what I want.

If you're looking for a tote bag, LL Bean has a canvas one which is available with a zip top.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/37037...tn&cat4=504161

You can also custom make one if you want a color combo they don't offer. You can choose the strap length, add a zipper, outside pocket, etc.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40297...tn&cat4=504161

This one is unisex looking to me, but that may be due to the color. It's made of 1200 denier polyster.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/38534...tn&cat4=504161

These are leather so they may seem a little manlier. They don't have a separate detachable shoulder strap, but they both look long enough that you can use the regular straps on your shoulders.

The first one doesn't have a zipper, but the top folds over and buckles so your items should still be secure:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/46077...tn&cat4=504161

This one has compartments which may help keep things more organized:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/38451...tn&cat4=504161

Timbuk2 makes tote bags as well as messenger bags that are great for traveling. The custom bags on their website are a bit pricey, but you can find great deals online. They're very rugged, carry a lot for the size, and are unisex. We have the messenger bags in every size and they're great. The tote bag has a detachable shoulder strap.
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...nel-cargo-tote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:30 am

You could give this travel satchel (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...el-Satchel_256) from Briggs & Riley a try. It’s gender neutral and has lot and lots of room for your books, music player and more. It’s made from ballistic nylon that’s got water repelling properties and the size is well within carry-on size limit.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
llbean forever

We have two LL Bean tote canvas bags w. zip tops: I love the way they can hold a ton of stuff when necessary, but can also scrunch up into an overhead bin if not full. They are the right size to hold magazines/carry-on necessities and stay upright because of their flat bottom. They can be washed, and monogrammed for that touch of class! They also last forever.
Ours have been in constant use for almost 10 years and are just acquiring that classy "frequent traveller" look.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. I'm guessing she's going to go for one of the Timbuk3's or a non-canvas LL Bean (though she might surprise me and prefer the LeSportsac).

The B & R looks spiffy but I think she'll deem $149 too much for a tote -- which I won't argue because I want to pick up one of the Red Oxx bags I've been reading about since joining the forum.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Take a look at the Patagonia Lightweight Travel Tote. I got one for my trip that I took to Europe last month. It was definitely big enough to put a lot of stuff in for the cabin, and was a solid bag to take when I went on my day outings. For the plane, I had my netbook, Kindle 2, toiletries, some travel books - all comfy fit in the bag. It has hide-able backpack straps, so if you don't want them, you don't have to see them. It has a zipper top and a zipped outer pocket. It's ripstop nylon exterior is treated to be water-repellent, but not waterproof. There are 4 colors to choose from. I got the gecko green, because it goes with my Eagle Creek bags (a little brighter, but close).
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
We have two LL Bean tote canvas bags w. zip tops: I love the way they can hold a ton of stuff when necessary, but can also scrunch up into an overhead bin if not full. They are the right size to hold magazines/carry-on necessities and stay upright because of their flat bottom. They can be washed, and monogrammed for that touch of class! They also last forever.
Ours have been in constant use for almost 10 years and are just acquiring that classy "frequent traveller" look.
Agreed. LL Bean canvas totes are the first thing that came to my mind when reading the OP. I have a variety of tote bags that are used for travel, but there are times when my "well worn" LL Bean canvas tote is exactly what meets the need.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: Priority Club
I just ordered one of these:

It's called the Gator and made by Red Oxx -- comes in a variety of colors and has a lifetime warrenty. I'm going to use it for an EDC bag as well as a carry on when traveling.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Baggallini

Love my Baggallini tote, out of all the travel paraphernalia I've collected over the years it's my #1 favorite. They come in a few sizes & colors and are super light weight. Made of super strong ripstop nylon--I've carried a lot of weight in mine. It zips closed, which is a necessity in my opinion. I use it all the time for local overnight trips and to carry on the plane. It can be folded up very small if you want to pack it in your suitcase. If something were to spill, you could wipe it off. Very reasonably priced and typically available at many online merchants.

I do like LL Bean products, so may give one of their totes a try as well.

http://shop.baggallini.com/baggallin...hopping/121644
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:08 am

This one would be nice.It's spacious,light and cheap.If I didn't have a beach tote to hold the rest of my beach totes, I'd be the first to purchase one. Hope you like it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBUYZK4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBUYZK4
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:36 am

Baggy does a nice canvas bag.

Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:36 am
x2y

Boring but obvious: LL Bean's or Land's End canvas totes. Many sizes and available in zippered or non-zippered options. You can also personalize them by choosing custom colors if you want to go bold or, conversely, unobtrusive. Also, relatively inexpensive and they will last forever.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by kjm3579
I just ordered one of these:

It's called the Gator and made by Red Oxx -- comes in a variety of colors and has a lifetime warrenty. I'm going to use it for an EDC bag as well as a carry on when traveling.
The Gator is a great bag, but it's not really cut out for beach duty... it's kind of heavy and doesn't have the unstructured build that would be be best for casual beach use. Also, the foam padding wouldn't work well in an environment where it could get wet.

I'd still recommend the Gator for the zippered plane carry-one but use the Red Oxx Market Tote for the beach. At $35 it's an amazing bargain. It comes in a wide range of colors and at 16' h x 12" w x 6" d it holds a huge load. Like all Red Oxx gear it's well built... you could haul a load of bricks in it and the bag would be no worse for the wear.

Here's the best part... it can fold up and easily go inside the Gator... but if the Gator is full, it will easily fit inside the Market Tote. I have carried a bag inside the Market Tote onto planes many times as my personal item and it doesn't even get a second look (plus it fits into the personal item sizer for most airlines)

Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edcaya
The brand is Baggu . . . thank you for this and the link. This is a new discovery for me, it looks perfect for my needs. Besides taking on a plane, it's exactly what I like for daily use--carrying stuff from the car to work. It has a long enough drop (and adjustable) shoulder strap which is sometimes hard to find. They are also sold online at Nordstrom (earn miles by using an airline shopping portal) for the same price as Amazon. I am going to add one to my collection of totes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.