Search

What suitcase did George Clooney have in "Up in the Air"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
What suitcase did George Clooney have in "Up in the Air"

I watched last night and really liked the ability to have a little zip area at the top of the bag for the notebook. Im guessing a discontinued Travel Pro from looking at the bag and then their site when I got home. But I didnt get a great look at it. Does anyone know (Im actually sure someone here does know ). Any other suggestions for bags like this, 18, 20 or 21 inch rollers with an easy zip open laptop section? I know there are some B&Rs like this but I dont own any. Seems like this is a distinct class. What do people suggest? Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: Skymiles, United, Continental, JBlU, USair, AA
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=238316427364

Travelpro sent around 75 pieces to the set, including: Platinum 6, Crew 7, Walkabout Life 3 and the Executive First briefcase collection, as well as lines from Atlantic and Graphite Lite 2, among others. The passengers in the airport scenes also used Travelpro luggage, and a pretend Travelpro retail outlet was highlighted on the movie set.

“The movie featured a scene where Natalie Keener (Anna Kendrick) swapped out her old piece of luggage for a Travelpro Platinum Rollaboard,” said Applebee, who explained in the movie that Clooney’s character recommended Natalie upgrade her luggage if she planned on doing a lot of traveling.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:41 pm

Gadgetfreak, I think I answered that question elsewhere. His suitcase is actually a composite, as far as I can tell. I looked at extract on Youtube and paused them. Then I compared to TP photos of their different ranges. I didn't find a single one that had all the same features. They put one together for him, I think. Different handles, feet, stickers etc.

But yes, it's TP.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, AC Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I watched last night and really liked the ability to have a little zip area at the top of the bag for the notebook. Im guessing a discontinued Travel Pro from looking at the bag and then their site when I got home. But I didnt get a great look at it. Does anyone know (Im actually sure someone here does know ). Any other suggestions for bags like this, 18, 20 or 21 inch rollers with an easy zip open laptop section? I know there are some B&Rs like this but I dont own any. Seems like this is a distinct class. What do people suggest? Thanks.
I have a Tumi (a few actually) you can't beat them. They have 2 zip on the front but I am not sure if you want a smaller compartment.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:22 pm

What dimensions do you need for the outside pocket? I suppose you want that gusseted so it's deep enough to fit a laptop with sleeve.

The cases I know have such a feature but the laptop pocket is the lower one. Not a detriment in my eyes. Keeps the center of gravity low. The upper pocket is a for the 311 bag.

here are a few examples:

http://www.ebags.com/delsey/helium_e...modelid=108244

http://www.ebags.com/sumdex/altitude...?modelid=67093

http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...modelid=144970

and my favorite:
http://www.ebags.com/delsey/helium_p...?modelid=99151

Unfortunately currently unavailable at ebags but you might have luck elsewhere.

Till
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:50 pm

http://luggagebase.com/product/6761/...t-Special.html

available in sage $120
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:45 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by tfar
http://www.ebags.com/delsey/helium_b...02%2E0%2021%20

Ebags has what appears to be a nearly identical bag in Alpine Green (I think this is the same as "sage") for $74.99, plus shipping and tax. Might be a one day sale.

When you click through the link and place it into your cart, use promotion code: CATASP10 and the price will drop to $74.99. This will also reduce the ship charge by $2. Total cost will be $84.94 plus whatever sales tax rate is or is not applicable to your ship to.

Another potential contingent way of getting more discount is to access Ebags through a Fatwallet account, then search for SKU #12674. In theory, this will give you an additional rebate of 10%. No guarantee though, as sometimes FatWallet rebates are rejected due to outside coupon codes (CATASP10 came from retailmenot.com). I would also delete any Ebag cookie you may have stored before using Fatwallet.

I have an older Delsey Helium Breeze that is almost identical (but in black), that I love. I'm buying this one as a backup, since it's about $20 less than I paid for my earlier one.

Last edited by Craig6z; Mar 28, 2010 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:32 am

GadgetFreak, you are right. Briggs & Riley do have some carry-on uprights with laptop sections like you described such as this 20” carry-on business upright. The carry-on actually comes with a laptop case that can be used separately or slipped inside the laptop section of the carry-on. Someone on this forum has actually reviewed this product and I think you may want to read through it to see if it meets all your needs.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ght-kr304.html
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by michelleclark
GadgetFreak, you are right. Briggs & Riley do have some carry-on uprights with laptop sections like you described such as this 20” carry-on business upright. The carry-on actually comes with a laptop case that can be used separately or slipped inside the laptop section of the carry-on. Someone on this forum has actually reviewed this product and I think you may want to read through it to see if it meets all your needs.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ght-kr304.html
Thanks. That seems even nicer than the one George Clooney had. There is also a Baseline 20 inch model that would have room in that front for both a computer and kippie bag. I think the Baseline model may be discontinued and is being replaced by the Fuse version. The Fuse model seems thinner too, which is good. Im a little leery of B&R 20 inch bags though. I doubt they will make it through the LHR sizer but would be great for domestic. My 18 or 19 inch old B&R is fine at LHR but I dont think it could get much larger and still make it. Its too bad that they dont make an 18 inch version of that. The pockets on the smaller B&R rollers seem more or less vestigial to me. I wish they were more like the one on the that Crew 7 that Clooney had.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Mar 29, 2010 at 5:48 am
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA EXPLT 1MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott PLT Premier, SPG Gold, Hyatt PLT, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
From the looks of it I'm pretty sure it's a TravelPro Crew 5, I'm pretty familiar with the bag considering it's my everyday carry on. I think the design has been discontinued though.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Gadgetfreak, I think I answered that question elsewhere. His suitcase is actually a composite, as far as I can tell. I looked at extract on Youtube and paused them. Then I compared to TP photos of their different ranges. I didn't find a single one that had all the same features. They put one together for him, I think. Different handles, feet, stickers etc.

But yes, it's TP.
I noticed it too. What do these usually run for?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Pass, HHonors, Alamo Insider, Starwood Preferred Gold
The George Clooney bag its an Travelpro Crew 4, its not for sale anymore. You could try the crew 7 or the Walkabout lite 2 both are very goods bags...
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Why the heck would TP use 2+ generations old luggage in a movie that was a good marketing vehicle for them?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by kingalien
Why the heck would TP use 2+ generations old luggage in a movie that was a good marketing vehicle for them?
Exactly what I wondered, too!

Thought about it a little. Probably the set designer wanted him to look like he had been doing this for awhile. So the old case means that this is like a trusty travel companion that can withstand his high miles. Travelpro branding would still be clearly visible. Message to the viewer: want a reliable bag like this guy's, get a TP.

Till

Last edited by tfar; Apr 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Deleted. My info was already previously posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.