Tumi warranty not lifetime!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi warranty not lifetime!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by mspreh
Price point $519 for a bag that statistically is more than 500 times as likely to need a repair than the bag that is $589, oh yeah they are just so high in price compared to the much more reasonably priced B&R bag. Too funny, that's comparing signature models of the 22" Roll-a-board bags for each brand.
You mention that a lot but I don't think I have ever seen you link to the source for the claim that B&R bags need more repairs...
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by PeteyNice
You mention that a lot but I don't think I have ever seen you link to the source for the claim that B&R bags need more repairs...
+1, I just figured he/she works for Tumi/Samsonite.. How else do they have this information?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by nyc2socal
+1, I just figured he/she works for Tumi/Samsonite.. How else do they have this information?
For me it's not "how", it's "why"? Why the hostile tone? Why the constant need to reply? Why the appeal to "I work in the industry"?

Tumi sells tons of bags to people who want something fancy, but don't travel much (my mom for instance). BR sells mostly to people who travel regularly - if you're not serious about travel, why buy an expensive ugly bag that no one has heard of? It's not surprising if BR bags fail more frequently. They probably get used much more often.

Everyone should buy what they want, and everyone should be respectful of the choices of others. The "industry guy" should probably get a talking to from the mods. He/she should definitely not bother replying to me because I won't read it.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I've said it a bunch of times, come to the Travel Goods Show, they have a seminar/forum on this topic every year, and the B&R folks are in the room. They have never disputed the numbers presented.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:57 pm

Their are multiple options that are better quality than what Tumi is offering these days, however B&R is not one of them. Even though the way that warranty sounds and makes you feel as if they do.
What are some of these options? I thought Victorinox Tourbach and Red Oxx might be among them but wanted to get your take as an industry insider.

I've got both as well as B&R and Tumi. Functionally, B&R is the most well-organized and designed for my use. Aesthetically, Tumi is appealing but I dislike the snob appeal aspect so my wife is the one who uses it, even though she's largely indifferent when it comes to luggage brands, except for LV or other haute coutre.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by quan98
What are some of these options? I thought Victorinox Tourbach and Red Oxx might be among them but wanted to get your take as an industry insider.

I've got both as well as B&R and Tumi. Functionally, B&R is the most well-organized and designed for my use. Aesthetically, Tumi is appealing but I dislike the snob appeal aspect so my wife is the one who uses it, even though she's largely indifferent when it comes to luggage brands, except for LV or other haute coutre.
Victorinox is going to be similar to Tumi (both ranking in the top 10, but not top 5).

I think Red Oxx will be near the top for durability, but you will give up aesthetic appeal and some other features. It's a lot easier to have a bag that doesn't fail when it doesn't have a retractable handle or wheels. The tough part for Red Oxx is that they don't sell enough luggage pieces to be listed or ranked or discussed in the seminar/forum, or they are excluded because they don't participate with the TGA. All of this on Red Oxx is from my personal opinion, based on what I have seen or heard, and this is only my opinion.

Ace Brands (Zero Halliburton and Proteca) have both been ranked at the top every year, Rimowa, Bric's, and Pelican all beat out anything coming from anyone else, and round out the top 5 brands presented at the TGA show. I hope this helps.

Last edited by mspreh; Jul 16, 2016 at 6:03 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:10 pm

mspreh--appreciate the feedback on the top 5. I've never heard of Proteca or Brics but have positive impressions of Zero Halliburton and Pelican while somewhat negative on Rimowa, albeit without any personal experience. Will have to check these out the next time I need luggage.

I can also vouch for Red Oxx. I went all out when deciding to one bag it and bought multiples of different Red Oxx models. Simpler design with fewer points of potential failure. Of course, the ones bought for the wife were used a few times then stuck in the closet or garage since she didn't like carrying all the crap she insists on bringing, while the ones I've used are cosmetically worn but far from failure. The aesthetic is something I grew to appreciate but certainly not for everyone. Living in the west, it fits in better than in more fashion-conscious locales.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by JP Chestnut
For me it's not "how", it's "why"? Why the hostile tone? Why the constant need to reply? Why the appeal to "I work in the industry"?

Tumi sells tons of bags to people who want something fancy, but don't travel much (my mom for instance). BR sells mostly to people who travel regularly - if you're not serious about travel, why buy an expensive ugly bag that no one has heard of? It's not surprising if BR bags fail more frequently. They probably get used much more often.

Everyone should buy what they want, and everyone should be respectful of the choices of others. The "industry guy" should probably get a talking to from the mods. He/she should definitely not bother replying to me because I won't read it.
There has been multiple topics now where he has shilled for Tumi and badmouthed B&R. I am currently looking for new luggage and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat
I just finished dealing with Tumi. Never again!

My 4.5 year old laptop bag developed a small 1 inch tear in the back padding so I paid $15 and sent it in. They claimed it was "unrepairable" and not "due to normal wear and tear." Offered me a measly $75 trade in credit (as if you can buy anything with that).

I asked for my bag back and wrote a nice letter asking for the credit+shipping ($100). They ignored it for a couple of months. Finally countered with a $100 Tumi gift card! I wrote another letter (less nice) and requested $300 cash. They countered with the original value of the bag ($165). I stuck to my guns and settled for $300. Yes I realize that's twice what I originally paid.

Rude employee (here in San Diego, everyone was nice in Georgia), flimsy warranty, and truly dysfunctional customer service (they didn't even give the rep my correspondence).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by james11417
There has been multiple topics now where he has shilled for Tumi and badmouthed B&R. I am currently looking for new luggage and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah, this is a pretty well-known MO for the poster in question.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: skymiles, 1 MM-DM
Excuse me if I get a bit of Tumi topic with this reply;

In regards to the 5 years Manufacturing warranty, I can agree on that but what about a Design issue ? Not all Luggage issues stem from having the Manufacturer assemble the bag incorrectly.

If I have to pay for a repair maybe I can do that vs tossing the bag but nothing more frustrating to hear that this bag is discontinued and parts are not available. The 10-30% offered discount does not help since I am not planning on paying full retail anyway.

I am using a large Tumi and a Roll-on size Kirkland bag for my travels. Both get checked in because I don't like to carry-on a lot of bags. The Kirkland bag is at least 17 years old. I have used it a lot and it is holding up great. It has about 27 screws with locking nuts. I just tightened them all but non where missing vs the Tumi that has either self tapping screws or just machine screws that end up missing. I belief the Kirkland bag is US made since the fasteners seems to be standard size.
The Tumi retractable Handle base developed a large crack but is still usable and I plan on getting it fixed asap just need the time to get it to the shop. I believe the Handle is not covered under items that can be claimed against damaged caused by the airline.

I have a great repair shop close by that is very familiar with Tumi (and perhaps others) I believe this also makes a big difference vs working with a retail store and having to send out everything for repairs.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, UAL, JetBlue
Victorinox is going to be similar to Tumi (both ranking in the top 10, but not top 5).
Victorinox varies widely, depending upon the model line. I've used the NXT Mobilizer line for many years. My first bag from that line was purchased in 2003. I still have it. Some screws came loose over the years and I lost a foot, but Victorinox sent me replacement feet and screws free of charge, and I was able to refresh it. Next time I do a screw check, I'm going to use lock washers that are designed to resist turning. That should help fight the loosening. By the way, it uses a mix of Allen wrench screws and flat head screws. I taped an Allen wrench and a spare screw inside the liner, so I can repair it en route if the need arises (hasn't yet).

The Victorinox Tourbach line is very nicely done. The fabric is even tougher than the older Mobilizer fabric. I don't like those caster wheels for carry-on. I think they're too prone for breakage. For 22" luggage and smaller, it should be a 2-wheel design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.