Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Tumi warranty not lifetime!

Tumi warranty not lifetime!

Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by wolf539
I filed a claim with Thai and they claim they will pay for repairs, or "fair replacement value". Should be interesting to see how it plays out...
This is probably more Thai Airways related (and I may start a thread over there), but they have now removed my report from their system and are refusing any compensation or repair. The fact that I have photos of the damage with their baggage tag still attached, and made the claim/report in the BKK airport immediately after discovering the damage means nothing to them.

The highlight of the last conversation was, "Well it's not like we lost your bag, you got it back and nothing was missing..." But I wasn't claiming it was lost, just damaged. "I'm sorry; thank you for making us aware of the issue." So even though I was on a full fare J ticket, you're offering no compensation or repair? "That's correct; goodbye." Click...
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
My how things have changed

I guess I have been lucky, but then again it has been years since I have needed a Tumi warranty repair. I own many pieces of Tumi luggage even a briefcase. I have been hard on Luggage so many years ago I decided on Tumi, and for me that was a good decision. No longer was I needing to replace bags every year or less. (please note this was prior to many of the options of today being available and at the time the bags while expensive were not outrageous). I have broken things on different bags and they were always repaired at no expense to me (including shipping), but things have changed. Their were two times that come to mind when I shipped luggage bag for repair that probably would not happen today. In one case I forgot to mention another problem with the briefcase (zipper was broke and inside key holder broke not mentioned). I was expecting that the keyholder would not be fixed as was the luggage store that was handling the return for me (BTW, they even lent me a Tumi briefcase while mine was in being repaired). When the briefcase came back both item were repaired and the tracker tag had been added, I found this to be excellent service. On the second occasion I asked the luggage store for a modification to the garment bag. What I wanted was a hanger placed on the side that opened as well as the top of the bag. They included a note to Tumi and this was also done at no charge. I do not think that would be done today.
While I am happy with Tumi luggage, I do not know that I would buy it today based on their pricing. But, lucky for me I have plenty to spare. The only Tumi bag I regret getting was the Garment bag with wheels, too heavy and too bulky and must be checked. But, it was a gift from the wife and she thought it was a good idea. Carried it a few times but switched to roller bags so she never knew.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
i have an 8yo 22" expandable, and a 26" which is 7 years old.

Took both into my local tumi store earlier this year (dealer, not tumi branded store)- 26 had broken plastic around handle base, the 22" had broken switch mechanism.

Store was in finland, they shipped them both to germany - cost to me, zero.

I recently bought a rimowa for the weight (fly ryanair as its convienient for my location) but I need/want a new roll on - it will be tumi.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:45 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good to hear they are still servicing them in Europe, but Tumi European prices are at least 50%-100% above American on Tumi (Japanese prices are more like 100-200% above).

Although these posts here are not enough to be statistically significant, it definitely seems like in the U.S we are seeing a pattern of decreased customer support at increased prices.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I actually bought them from Nieman Marcus Last Call in Dallas when I was living there
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by cressers
Took both into my local tumi store earlier this year (dealer, not tumi branded store)- 26 had broken plastic around handle base, the 22" had broken switch mechanism...Store was in finland, they shipped them both to germany - cost to me, zero.
I am glad about your good experience. Based on all I have heard, the difference here appears to be not Tumi but customer service culture in Finland. You might have had very different experience in New Jersey.

Of course, a store XYZ might cover its own sales, but the advantage of companies like B&R and Red Oxx is that the manufacturer stands behind its products, regardless of where you bought it and where you are living now.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AF, (Lufthansa), Hilton
It is true. 5 years now, even on the expensive stuff.

I used to be a Tumi-addict, down to the wallet. Still have my 1st Gen. ballistic nylon roll-board, my Alpha expandable, and my old garment bag. Bought all of them in Vegas in `94, or shortly after. Back then Tumi did advertise lifetime warranty, but all items still work to this day, without problems. The Alpha is wearing out, but I am not going to blame that on the company, after 2 million miles and over 15 years of heavy use.

With newer Tumi-stuff I have had mediocre experiences. Handle on a pilot case broke off after 2 years and slight use. They replaced it after I pre-paid for shipping. Now it's starting to break again on the top-flap, but is clearly out of warranty. So I am stuck with a broken $ 550 bag, that I have used may be 20 times over 6 years. Unfortunately it is a damage that can't be repaired by a shoemaker, because there are Tumi-hinges involved.

I had seams come apart on a newer large garment bag. They refused to take it back for repair in the store unless I pre-paid, because it was out of warranty. I had a shoemaker sew it up. My wife bought a purse in 2007 that didn't hold up either. We didn't even try to have it repaired; it is a fashion item after all, and once you pay for S&H twice over, it's easier to get a new purse.

The problem I see with Tumi today is that they are trying to sell Made in China-stuff for American quality at European prices. If I drop 600 bucks on a bag it better lasts, and if it doesn't, I want it repaired at no cost. Within reason, of course.

It's really sad that all my old Tumi stuff, that has seen the heaviest use, is still going strong, while the new, expensive stuff breaks, and they give you crap about repairs. Once my 1st generation Tumi stuff finally goes, I'll look for a different brand, probably Briggs&Riley. It's just too much money under these circumstances.

Last edited by Walt-FL; Apr 7, 2010 at 5:06 pm
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Walt-FL
The problem I see with Tumi today is that they are trying to sell Made in China-stuff for American quality at European prices. If I drop 600 bucks on a bag it better lasts, and if it doesn't, I want it repaired at no cost. Within reason, of course.
This is very true. I don't agree with their price-warranty-quality relation, either. However, made in China is not necessarily a bad quality indicator. Look at BR. It is made in China. The quality is top-notch, so is the warranty. Look at Andiamo Valoroso. The quality was the best of all the three big brands and so was the warranty, not only no-matter-what life-time but they even paid shipping and provided an exchange while yours was repaired. Only Tourbach has this kind of warranty now. And if I'm not mistaken they are made in China.

So just that it's made in China doesn't mean its inferior to American made or inferior to anything at all. The Chinese are able to produce OEM products at state-of-the-art quality levels if the quality control is done properly. Doing QC properly and manufacturing properly is after all a matter of how much you are willing to pay and of the attitude you have towards your products. Tumi wants to maximize profit and doesn't have the right attitude towards their products anymore as we can see by slipping QC and warranty.

Is it possible to produce stuff of equal quality in America with American labor and materials. Sure. Redoxx and Tom Bihn are doing it but they are niche brands and Tom Bihn doesn't even offer the kind of warranty that BR offers while the prices and quality are about comparable. And between Redoxx and Valoroso I'd say Valoroso is even better built.

Till
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:00 am

Bolts vs brads

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So I pick a case that is easy and quick to repair locally, even if not under warranty. One big way to get this is to buy a case held together with bolts rather than brads, so it can be mostly disassembled and assembled with only a screwdriver. Until recently, B&R didn't do this but now they do on some lines. Hartmann and (the late) Andiamo do too. Forget TravelPro, Swiss Army, and cheaper brands like Samsonite, Delsey, etc. Quality of construction is way more important than a label, especially one like Vuitton that yells out "steal me."

Shipping to the B&R repair center isn't a big deal for me since luckily I live about a 40 minute drive from Half Moon Bay airport, the obscure location where it is located.
I never thought about whether my luggage is held together with bolts or brads. Another thing to consider when shopping...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AF, (Lufthansa), Hilton
Originally Posted by tfar
So just that it's made in China doesn't mean its inferior to American made or inferior to anything at all. The Chinese are able to produce OEM products at state-of-the-art quality levels if the quality control is done properly. Doing QC properly and manufacturing properly is after all a matter of how much you are willing to pay and of the attitude you have towards your products. Tumi wants to maximize profit and doesn't have the right attitude towards their products anymore as we can see by slipping QC and warranty.

Is it possible to produce stuff of equal quality in America with American labor and materials. Sure. Redoxx and Tom Bihn are doing it but they are niche brands and Tom Bihn doesn't even offer the kind of warranty that BR offers while the prices and quality are about comparable. And between Redoxx and Valoroso I'd say Valoroso is even better built.

Till

I totally agree, Made in China does not necessarily indicate inferior quality any more. Still, I feel more comfortable when I know that my stuff wasn't produced by a 12 year old in a 14 hour shift, for a buck a day. And that CNC coolant fluid was properly disposed, and wasn't dumped in the next river.

After all, these bags are lifestyle products, so there has to be some sort of discernibility. From an economic point of view Costco probably beats anything. I know guys at work who have been using Costo or WalMart stuff for 5+years. The price range Tumi approaches now with their Townhouse-series competes with handmade custom or semi-custom luggage like Papworth (UK), Ghurka, Goldpfeil etc.

I personally would have never complained about Tumi, if the stuff wouldn't break, or would get fixed without fuss.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat
My Travelpro Plat4SE 24" suiter needs to be replaced. I started travelling a lot more a year or two back and stuff that counts as "normal wear and tear" like the wheel axles are going to give out soon and that's not covered by their "lifetime warranty".

I'd have gone with a Tumi Alpha in a heartbeat -- before Tumi changed their warranty. Now I think I'm going to go with a Briggs and Riley expandable 24" instead.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by rcc_chen
My Travelpro Plat4SE 24" suiter needs to be replaced. I started travelling a lot more a year or two back and stuff that counts as "normal wear and tear" like the wheel axles are going to give out soon and that's not covered by their "lifetime warranty".

I'd have gone with a Tumi Alpha in a heartbeat -- before Tumi changed their warranty. Now I think I'm going to go with a Briggs and Riley expandable 24" instead.
I'm not sure how the warranty is for the Plat4 SE. For the Plat5 it covers everything: wear and tear as well as abuse. That said, Travelpro has an awesome parts catalog. You can most likely just buy new wheels for $20 and you are back in business. For the Plat 5 you can even buy the wheel axles separately, IIRC. You can also most likely install some serious in-line skate wheels as an upgrade. Just take the suitcase to your local skater shop.

No need to buy a new suitcase for several hundred dollars. Don't waste your money. Unless you want to buy a new case, that is.

Till
Old May 7, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Well, the problem is having talked to the guys at a Travelpro authorized service center is that the Plat5 warranty doesn't involve wear and abuse. The warranty isn't defined to exclude "only cosmetic wear", it's defined to exclude "normal wear and tear" even for the Plat6 "worry-free" warranty (See http://www.travelpro.com/pdf/Warranty_Info.pdf).

So if Travelpro expects for example the pull-out handle tubes to wear down and they eventually do, it's not covered by their warranty. Or the wheel axles. Or whatever else. Yes, if an airline destroys your bag, it's covered. But if your wheel axle buckles after N years and N is expected, that's not covered. And more to the point, the warranty means that the company can design to an N year or N trip lifetime.

Oddly enough, the guy at the luggage store claims that Tumi Alpha is still the best constructed luggage. And they charge like it is, too :-). Almost 2x the equivalent B&R bag for a 24" rolling suitcase. (I'm amending this -- true apples to apples is about 1.6x).

I could understand Tumi going to different warranties for different lines. But it boggles my mind that Tumi went away from their true lifetime warranty for Alpha.

Last edited by rcc_chen; May 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm
Old May 7, 2010, 3:47 pm

So even if it's not covered under warranty why don't you just buy the parts and replace the wheels? Still cheaper than a new bag and if the wheels are the only thing that's going bad that would be the reasonable thing to do.

The guy in the luggage store claims that because he probably has the largest margin on Tumi.

Till
Old May 7, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Actually Tumi never did live up to their warranty, My Tumis all borke after about two years. I sent them in, Tumi sent back notes that they could no longer be repaired because they were out of production, so here's a 50% off coupon on a new Tumi. I bit once, but have just junked the rest as they failed. Tumi were very expensive, very heavy and not reliable. I have no more Tumi!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.