Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

RedOxx Sun Chaser or Beano PR4 ?

Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster

The Sun Chaser and the PR4 are the same size. (19x9x9) Which do you think would be a better general purpose carryon for 2-3 day business trips?

Why would I pick one over the other? The Sun Chaser camera padding isn't important to me.

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM, HH
Question Zombie thread...

Sorry for reviving this old discussion. Which if either, did you select?

I'm looking at those same two products. The PR4 has more places to stuff or categorize contents while the Sunchaser has that larger main compartment.

While they list the same outer dimensions, 19X9X9, the Sunchaser lists a larger capacity by over 300 cubic inches. I'm thinking that the outer dimension of the Sunchaser doesn't include it's two exterior pockets.

The $20 difference doesn't mean much, so it comes down to whether we would get more utility out of a larger main compartment or numerouse nooks and crannies.

I'm looking mainly for a bag to go under an airline seat and be my airport carry bag. I can see using this as a one-bag solution for short trips. I'm leaning towards the PR4 as I favor the ability to segregate contents over bulk capacity.

Anyone have further thoughts on this choice? Raves or regrets?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Travellbugg

I'm looking mainly for a bag to go under an airline seat and be my airport carry bag. I can see using this as a one-bag solution for short trips. I'm leaning towards the PR4 as I favor the ability to segregate contents over bulk capacity.

Anyone have further thoughts on this choice? Raves or regrets?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
the under the seat part might be an issue as it will stick out just a bit (both bags). they are 19 inches on the longest measurement. I have a 17 inch bag that is about flush underneath the the seat...... search for "animal carriers underneath the seat" on this forum and you'll find your ideal measurements under seat.

this one below might be better in terms of measurements

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...221&sec=travel
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:34 pm

Thanks for that link. . Lots of great info there.

The under seat limits are 45 linear inches for the airlines I frequent. I don't mind some protrusion during take off and landing. 9X14X22 is what Delta lists as their maximum under seat dimension. I prefer window seats, so the long and skinny profile seems a good "fit".

I do like the Briggs-Riley products but have some non-air-travel uses planned for which I feel the Red Oxx is more suitable.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Old Penny is a big proponent of the Sun Chaser. I will also say that I once fit my Air Boss under the seat of a Q400 when I had completely overstuffed it and it wouldn't go in the overhead, so you shouldn't have an issue with the Sun Chaser
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I recently got my Sun Chaser into the overhead bin of a Horizon Q400!

That bag has worked well for me since I got it. When I was trying to make the same decision, I emailed Red Oxx and got a personal explanation of why the Sun Chaser was a better choice for my needs. The 2 outside pockets work well for me and the floor padding helps the bag to keep its shape when lightly packed.

On the other side of the bag from the 2 pockets are 2 zippers which when opened allow you to put the bag over the handle of a rolling bag. Yes, but I also use that pocket for non-valuables such as newspapers.

My Sun Chaser has had hard use and shows no wear at all. It picked up an odor on one trip but aired out well.

The color of the inside of the bag is the same as the color of the outside so choose your color to meet your needs.

I use a Lil Roy in the same color as my Sun Chaser and/or a Nomad shave kit to act as areas for items that I don't want easily seen by others. Works a charm!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Old Penny is a big proponent of the Sun Chaser. I will also say that I once fit my Air Boss under the seat of a Q400 when I had completely overstuffed it and it wouldn't go in the overhead, so you shouldn't have an issue with the Sun Chaser
You have an excellent memory!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:27 pm

Great replies! Thank you both! I hadn't thought about using something like the Lil Roy as an internal compartment. Using a couple of those with the Sunchaser would provide the most flexibility. I think I've made up my mind.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm so glad!

Before you order the Lil Roy, take a look at the Nomad shaving kit which has been the same price. The Nomad seems to be lighter in weight. I use both items for creating my 'hidey holes' in my Sun Chaser but not always at the same time. Depends what I'm carrying along. The TSA folks when on a prowl don't seem to notice the interior bags (should I admit that?) and just stop looking for stuff.

We color coordinate our Red Oxx bags by task so that packing and unpacking are easy and logical. The first aid kit is in red while the tools have their own color bags depending on what they are for. We also plan our trips to have a Red Oxx bag color consistency so we don't take cold weather gear to a hot climate and etc.

Remember, you ought not to wash your Red Oxx bags when they are soiled. I wipe dust mine off and do a light cleaning and then air them out.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Jun 3, 2012 at 7:58 pm
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:20 am

Duly noted! Thanks for another insightful suggestion and recommendation!

I plan to begin accumulating Red Oxx gear as my existing luggage is falling to pieces at an alarming rate.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I recently got my Sun Chaser into the overhead bin of a Horizon Q400!
I got my Air Boss in one of those. It takes a ridiculous amount of overstuffing to keep either my Air Boss or Sky Train out of a regional airplane's overhead. Even the FAs are frequently amazed.

You have an excellent memory!
Nah. You talk about your Red Oxx stuff as much as I talk about mine

Great replies! Thank you both! I hadn't thought about using something like the Lil Roy as an internal compartment. Using a couple of those with the Sunchaser would provide the most flexibility. I think I've made up my mind.
I have a Lil Roy, but I use it as my toiletry bag. Its actually lined as one on the inside. Its actually perfect for the modern era of the freedom baggie + medical liquid + razor + toothbrush, etc.

Duly noted! Thanks for another insightful suggestion and recommendation!

I plan to begin accumulating Red Oxx gear as my existing luggage is falling to pieces at an alarming rate.
Join the club. I have 5 Red Oxx pieces (Air Boss, Sky Train, Gator, CPA and Lil Roy) and am perhaps eyeing a couple more.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't count up my Red Oxx pieces of gear. That many! When we started color coordinating I bought rafts of Lil Roys, shopping bags and Nomads to lead off the organization by color. That trio are our work horses.

We use the Airborne mesh bags for heavy and non-fragile gear. (mostly for car travel). They are very reasonably priced bags and defy abuse.

I have the famous Sun Chaser, a Gator bag and a Chica. The Gator was my favorite of the flock until someone in my household figured out is was a perfect fit for his major telephoto lens.

I'm waiting to see what Red Oxx will come out with as a new item from the new factory before I make another order.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:26 pm

I'm waiting to see what Red Oxx will come out with as a new item from the new factory before I make another order.
Last I heard, they are looking at making a more traditional backpack to go along with the Rucks. Should be good for tech types who are used to backpacks for their gear. Might even allow them to sell more bulk orders to the convention set, like Ogio does
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be great!

Originally Posted by N1120A
Last I heard, they are looking at making a more traditional backpack to go along with the Rucks. Should be good for tech types who are used to backpacks for their gear. Might even allow them to sell more bulk orders to the convention set, like Ogio does

I've been admiring the C-Ruck for a long time but never could pull the trigger. Something new........

Also if you haven't seen their RailRoad bag....look it up. Huge and tough as iron. Made for rail workers but they will sell them to anyone.http://www.redoxx.com/Rail-King-Rail...cksack/product

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.