Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Any issues with 22" Carryon on Lufthsansa Businesss or Swiss Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha

Just as thread asks, any issues you guys have found?

LX/LF states maxi is 55cms which is like 21.75"...
Old May 28, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by morphius909
Just as thread asks, any issues you guys have found?

LX/LF states maxi is 55cms which is like 21.75"...
You might want to ask or search on the miles-and-more board, but my understanding is that they can be quite strict but *probably* less strict in business.

The feeling seems to be in general "if it looks reasonable ...", but be prepared to check it if asked.

Remember also the other two dimensions (40cm x 23cm, 15.7 x 19.8 inches), and that it must be less than 8kg (17.5 lbs). That weight restriction is pretty tight.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
As far as size goes, they usually spot check, so if it looks big, they may check the size.

Weight though...they will certainly check. If it looks anywhere close to the max allowed size, be prepared for agents to bring around scales. They are both known to be extremely picky with weight.

Last time I flew LH I got stopped with my bag. They made me put it in the sizer, which I passed. Then the agent demanded to weigh it....where I failed Even the *G tag on my bag didn't save me!

my advice- if you really want to carry it on, get a smaller bag. LH and it's M&M partners don't play games with carry ons!
Old May 31, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by nave888
As far as size goes, they usually spot check, so if it looks big, they may check the size.

Weight though...they will certainly check. If it looks anywhere close to the max allowed size, be prepared for agents to bring around scales. They are both known to be extremely picky with weight.

Last time I flew LH I got stopped with my bag. They made me put it in the sizer, which I passed. Then the agent demanded to weigh it....where I failed Even the *G tag on my bag didn't save me!

my advice- if you really want to carry it on, get a smaller bag. LH and it's M&M partners don't play games with carry ons!
The above is absolutely true. In addition to not being allowed an overweight or slightly oversize bag, they will embarrass you to pieces.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:51 pm

alternate experience...

I agree that LH can be persnickety, but just last week I took two LH flights: one out of Split , Croatia and the other on LH out of Frankfurt to NYC and in neither case did my carry on bag elicit any interest.

This was good because it weighed about 25 - 28 pounds! Normally I carry a laptop bag which takes about 1/2 the weight...but by carrying only a single piece, it perhaps evoked less attention.

For the record; it's 20" x 13" x 8" with out any wheels and solid black. So it has a reasonably low profile and it has enough of an internal structure...that it never seems to bulge suspiciously.

My wife who was traveling with me had two pieces; a small rolling pice by Muji about : 18" x 8" x 14" and a computer bag...and she had no one quesion her either. We were in economy class as well.

Regards-
Old May 31, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Its better to have a reasonable looking bag in regards to size and have it be heavy than a larger bag that will draw attention. I have actually been surprised that my fellow Americans seem to get by with carrying on our large bags on these airlines sometimes as I have definitely seen carry ons get checked often. Business is less likely in my experience to have a problem. Dont think it is just the gate agent that will call you out on bag size, I have seen FA's do it at boarding also. All in all, it just depends on the gate agent and crew, IMO.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This really is where carrying your bag, or using Rimowa, helps. If you have any of the IATA sized Rimowa bags, especially in aluminium (despite being slightly heavier), LH is likely to let you through. I think this is largely because they sell their own Rimowa stuff as IATA certified carry-on.

If you are like me and have Red Oxx gear, they usually seem to think carrying your bag means its lighter (and it likely is) and they will leave you alone.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:59 am

Correct.

No recent problems with Lufthansa, or Swiss using Rimowa carry-on. Especially if it is a Rimowa Lufthansa model carry-on. Just keep the weight reasonable ( huffing, puffing, and sweating as you struggle pulling your carry-on, for example ) and be prepared to gate check nicely, if requested.

Remember the wise olde saying: " Never argue with a Lufthansa employee in uniform. "
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Correct.

No recent problems with Lufthansa, or Swiss using Rimowa carry-on. Especially if it is a Rimowa Lufthansa model carry-on. Just keep the weight reasonable ( huffing, puffing, and sweating as you struggle pulling your carry-on, for example ) and be prepared to gate check nicely, if requested.

Remember the wise olde saying: " Never argue with a Lufthansa employee in uniform. "
Well that is true! When I used to have Lufthansa status (have a nice collection of Christmas ornaments that they used to give out) I was often mistaken for a Lufthansa employee as my traditional business attire at that time looked similar. The 2nd most powerful work outfit in the world after those of traditional Catholic sisters!

That outfit got me a lot of respect on Lufthansa especially when I happened to have the same purse that the Lufthansa woman of senior status were given. Appearance matters on Lufthansa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.